PDA

View Full Version : Living in L.A. and Working in Disneyland.

Pages : [1] 2

TOTFan
03-28-2005, 03:58 PM
i was curious if anyone out there worked in Disneyland and lived in L.A. I live in Santa Monica and would love to get a job at Disneyland. I wonder if they would be O.K. with someone from L.A. working there?

millionairegirl
03-28-2005, 04:01 PM
As long as you could work the hours they want you work, they don't care where you live. But really commuting from Santa Monica to Anaheim is not the greatest. I lived in Brentwood and had an interview at TDA, and it took me 2 hours to get there. No fun.

I guess if you worked weekends or off hours it wouldn't be too bad, but why not move to the OC.

TOTFan
03-28-2005, 04:03 PM
I live on the Ocean, I would never leave. I love Santa Monica.

bluepearl
03-28-2005, 04:07 PM
I'm farther - I started working at DLR when I was in school in Riverside and continued to work there after I moved back home to the SF Valley. What made the commute a little easier was choosing schedules that avoided peak traffic hours. I miss working from 2-10:30PM. Although the drive was far, I estimated that I spend the same amount of time driving to my job in Santa Monica as that to Anaheim due to traffic. And gridlock traffic is much worse to me than the distance. I've driven from SM to Anaheim many times and the traffic was just unnerving. Are you prepared for the weekday traffic jams? If you don't mind this kind of thing (which I'm slowly losing patience for), then go for it!

kbanmen
03-28-2005, 04:51 PM
I am lucky I live in fullerton and work at DCA, but people I work with live in Long Beach, Riverside, etc.. far away and still commute and LOVE THE JOB

DCACM
03-28-2005, 06:12 PM
When I first started, I lived in LA (Melrose and the 101). I got off my regular (real) job at 3:30pm, hopped on the freeway and was at Disneyland just barely in time for 5:30pm shift. Living in LA and working at Disneyland can be done, but be prepared for long, hellish commutes.

As a Disney CM with CR status (casual regular), you're expected to be available Friday evenings, and all-day Saturday and Sunday, with full availability during holiday periods (this means Xmas day, Thanksgiving day, New Years day, etc.) As a new hire, expect to work grad nites (11pm-6am).

Before you apply, know what you're getting in to, and make sure it can co-exist with your real job or school, whatever.

This is of course referring to a job in attractions. Longer hours can be expected in stores and custodial.

MrsG
03-28-2005, 06:22 PM
Don't leave the beach! If I were there, nothing would make me leave, even DL!

VickiC
03-28-2005, 07:15 PM
DH lives here and works in SM and spends over 3 hours a day in his car. It's hellish but we can't afford to move.

rentayenta
03-28-2005, 07:20 PM
I was born and raised in Orange County (24 years) and not once did anyone ever call it the OC; is this a new thing?

sediment
03-28-2005, 07:24 PM
I think the ocean is much bigger than Just Santa Monica. Just checking a globe confirms that for me.

sediment
03-28-2005, 07:25 PM
I was born and raised in Orange County (24 years) and not once did anyone ever call it the OC; is this a new thing?
Only since the Fox show.

rentayenta
03-28-2005, 07:29 PM
Only since the Fox show.

Okay, because it sounds so dumb.....

MrsG
03-28-2005, 07:34 PM
Calling it The OC is like calling San Francisco Frisco. Only people who aren't from the Bay Area will ever call it Frisco. Ick ick!

CoasterChickie
03-28-2005, 07:37 PM
Calling it The OC is like calling San Francisco Frisco. Only people who aren't from the Bay Area will ever call it Frisco. Ick ick!

I agree. Anyone who grew up on the peninsula when I did calls SF "the city."

kohl
03-28-2005, 07:46 PM

My husbands parents always call San Francisco "Frisco" and it drives me crazy!!!!

MrsG
03-28-2005, 07:48 PM
I agree. Anyone who grew up on the peninsula when I did calls SF "the city."
I worked in "the city" for many years. I love that place and miss it. Now, people who live in NYC call it "the city" as well. Love NYC too. Guess I am a city gal. :p

sunfun94
03-28-2005, 08:00 PM

I am from Frisco and my whole family calls SF that...Calling the Orange County the OC is still stupid though...and no, it was never "popular" to call Orange County that until that lame show came out.

Back to the original question, A few friends of mine live in downtown LA and commute (one by bus and the other by personal vehicle) and both love being cast. Although, they are both able to regularly get shifts that put them at DL at off times. I moved from Orange to San Clemente, while the commute was not as long as yours, I still had to deal with traffic but it was worth it. All in all, it really depends on you and your tolerance for traffic and you are good with finding alternate routes if needed..... :)

MrsG
03-28-2005, 08:05 PM
I am from Frisco and my whole family calls SF that...
Wow...you are the first San Franciscans I've ever heard call it Frisco. :eek:

MZCosmo
03-28-2005, 08:18 PM
I worked at the Disneyland Resort a little over a year ago. I live in Ventura, and would drive to and from the resort 5 days a week. It was exactly 98 miles from my driveway to the cast member parking structure. 194 miles a day, and that is if I didnt stop anyware. But it was totaly worth it.

I Heart Disneyland!
03-28-2005, 08:22 PM

Lucky duck!!! I love Santa Monica too, and if I were on the ocean, I'd never leave either!!!!

SF MANNY G
03-28-2005, 08:22 PM
I've lived in Frisco my whole life, still do. The name 'Frisco' has had a resurrection in 'the city'. The younger generation take alot of pride in representing "Frisco". Alot of t-shirts, sweaters, hats, etc. with Frisco on them are really hot items. Doesn't bother me any.

TOTFan
03-28-2005, 08:28 PM
I think the ocean is much bigger than Just Santa Monica. Just checking a globe confirms that for me.

Right, gosh, I must be an idiot. Maybe I don't want to give up my house either. Hmmm, Gosh, Golly.

DCAWhites
03-28-2005, 11:19 PM
Whats weird is driving from santa monica won't make you a long distance commuter compared to other cast members. I've heard of cast members coming in from thousand palms and ventura.

sunfun94
03-28-2005, 11:26 PM

Done know if there is a hint of sarcasm in that one... :) But my family has never been one to go with the grain anyways... hee hee

cstephens
03-29-2005, 03:51 AM

I went to school at Cal, and when we had orientation, they made it a point of instructing us on "the city" vs "Frisco" and "SF". Still sticks to this day.