PDA

View Full Version : Travesty in the sky!

SweenyTodd
03-28-2005, 02:34 PM
Anyone see the fireworks they put up for Spring Break? Good heavens. They made last year's "Imagine...' seem like the greatest fireworks show ever created (which, until I see the 50th show, I hold will ALWAYS be "Believe... there's magic in the stars. Even the soundtrack still makes me misty).

If you missed "Fantasy in the Sky", you were lucky. It was Souza-style Disney music accompanied by a random blasting of color and styles. There was no shape or form to it at all. And right before the end, the announcer actually said "And now... our grand finale!" - during which they played the closing music from last year's "Imagine." Boom-kapow-boom.

This was a fireworks show that would only appeal to the least amongst us. "They'z blowin' up stuff real gud up dere in d'sky!"

Just horrible.

AaronInCal
03-28-2005, 02:42 PM
Well I've read mostly positive comments on the fireworks for Spring Break. It was not meant to be a full-on show like they've had the past several years. Think of it like a "filler" fireworks show for the Spring Break period, kinda like Mickey's Magic Kingdom Celebration and the Sleeping Beauty one are "fillers" until the big parade begins. But I really like these fireworks myself.. :)

Captain Josh
03-28-2005, 02:43 PM
...we're spoiled.

That's all I could think of when I watch the *TEMPORARY (BECAUSE PEOPLE WILL COMPLAIN IF WE DON'T HAVE FIREWORKS DURING A HOLIDAY)*. Then I remember reading about how people don't like this rinky-dink fireworks show.

Look of course these fireworks weren't as good as "believe" or "imagine". What do you want, Tinkerbell? Not if the old cables aren't there anymore....yeesh. It's meant to more or less hold people over until the super-duper-50th Anniversary-be-all-end-all-piss-off-the-locals show.

I was there on a Saturday night, and frankly, I was grateful to even see fireworks...frankly, the people standing in the crowd were pretty impressed.

Sorry if we bumpkins liked what we saw.

Disneyphile
03-28-2005, 02:46 PM
I saw it, and apparently, the fireworks differed somewhat every evening. (But used the same music.) I'm thinking they're using it as a "test" for different shells/color combos for the new show.

Captain Josh
03-28-2005, 02:48 PM
Didya see those "smiley face" shells? Those got the crowd oohing and aahing....

marktips
03-28-2005, 02:52 PM
I think Disney bought the smiley ones in bulk and just uses them when they need to from time to time - they show up sporadicly in WDW shows, and often ironic moments. Imagine the really dramatic points of Illuminations and then suddenly - "smiley faces." Made me laugh. Anywho - I say any fireworks are better than none :)

SweenyTodd
03-28-2005, 02:52 PM
...we're spoiled.

Maybe I'm spoiled... but even knowing they were going to be "fill in" fireworks, I was disappointed. Here's how I know I'm okay with the fill-in idea.

1) I'm okay with no Tinkerbell.
2) I'm okay with no low-level fireworks going off from the castle.
3) I'm okay with it being a short show.
4) I'm okay that it didn't really have a "Theme" like believe or Imagine.

But how about AT LEAST timing the fireworks to the music? They weren't fireworks set to music, they were a bombast of fireworks with music playing in the background. How about throwing at least a hidden Mickey in there? And that whole "And now... our grand finale" -- what the heck was that? It just felt amateurish.

SoCalDude
03-28-2005, 03:00 PM
DL's "fill in" fireworks are far better than say Sea World's and Legoland's real shows put together!

Disney Vault
03-28-2005, 04:16 PM
I saw the video of the temp fireworks on visionsfantastic and they didn't look too bad.

RStar
03-28-2005, 09:29 PM
They are kind of nice because this is a show from the past. It has a nastalgic quality to it. And its a bit shorter. But the new show sounds absolutly the bomb! (pun intended!)

HorizonsA
03-28-2005, 10:21 PM
I have no idea what you Padders are complaining about. The fireworks show being played now is from the Fantasy In the Sky show that was performed long before "Believe..." came in, minus the American finale. It's the same show. If you liked it then, why do you hate it now? I don't get it. The music is great, I love hearing that rendition of the music from Cinderella. And , Let's Go Fly a Kite, and all those other melodies. And the finale is awesome.

sunfun94
03-28-2005, 11:13 PM
I have no idea what you Padders are complaining about. The fireworks show being played now is from the Fantasy In the Sky show that was performed long before "Believe..." came in, minus the American finale. It's the same show. If you liked it then, why do you hate it now? I don't get it. The music is great, I love hearing that rendition of the music from Cinderella. And , Let's Go Fly a Kite, and all those other melodies. And the finale is awesome.

You said it all..

TP2000
03-28-2005, 11:56 PM
We are all very spoiled now.

This temporary Spring Break offering is basically the same show they ran during the 1980's and 90's. The music is almost a complete copy of the old "Fantasy In The Sky" that ran from the early 90's until 1999. The basic plotline to that old show was "throw up a bunch of fireworks shells while the Park PA system plays some random Disney songs". In that show the finale' used to be "patriotic" and the shells were all red, white and blue while they played "This Is My Country". After the super-duper patriotic finale's they've come up with since 9/11 I think they knew the old patriotic finale' would pale horribly, and so they went with a generic Disney finale'.

But now that we've been trained to expect these meticulously paced shows with involved plotlines, very specficially chosen shells and effects, and long stretches of spoken dialogue, the old style Disneyland fireworks that were offered from the 1950's until 1999 seem inferior.

When I saw the show a few nights ago, the conclusion of the performance was met with a great deal of applause and plenty of "WooHoo's!" from everyone around me. I don't think anyone but the most hardcore Disney fan really cares that it isn't "Believe" or "Imagine". Everyone just seemed to enjoy a big fireworks show with some snappy music.

And I loved hearing Let's Go Fly A Kite one more time. It brought back many Disneyland memories from the 1980's and 90's for me.

spectromen
03-29-2005, 07:44 AM
Nah, I still say, if you're going to show the old FITS show, show it in it's entirety, don't piece together old and new - it didn't meld well for me. The intro of the original show is great and draws people to the street moreso than Believe, I think. Of course, it needs the original narration back that mentions how Tinkerbell will light "tonight's performance of Fantasy in the Sky" but I understand that's not possible right now. At very least, I'd like to see the patriotic finale be reinstated before the show becomes part of Yesterland.

Mox
03-29-2005, 11:51 PM
Of course, it needs the original narration back that mentions how Tinkerbell will light "tonight's performance of Fantasy in the Sky" but I understand that's not possible right now. At very least, I'd like to see the patriotic finale be reinstated before the show becomes part of Yesterland."Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls: turn your attention to the skies high above Sleeping Beauty Castle, where if you believe and wish hard enough, you too can see the magic of Tinkerbell as she lights this evening's performance of A Fantasy in the Sky."

I miss the opening narration and patriotic finale as well. But overall, it reminds me of a time when you could see four parades a day (two daytime and two MSEP), the Hunchback show, Fantasmic!, and the fireworks.

--Mox