PDA

View Full Version : Help from other women... what do YOU do? [carrying purse]

Pages : [1] 2 3

SeansMom
03-28-2005, 11:39 AM
We leave for Disneyland in less than a week and I'm in a bit of a dilemma...carry a purse all day or wear a fanny pack? What do YOU do? I'd rather not carry anything, but of course can't face the entire day without lipstick and such. I really don't like fanny packs, but carrying a purse around DL and/or DCA doens't thrill me either. And we have to put tickets and fastpasses somewhere...sigh....
Has anyone found a creative solution to this?
Thanks!!!

mystycalchyk
03-28-2005, 11:41 AM
Backpack that hubby carries has all the essentials.

It's his job. It's in the 'man contract'. :)

it's right there...page 4, section c

...the man carries all backpacks in theme parks with all things that may be needed throughout the trip

Its right after the part that shows that men 'lift all heavy things'...'carry all groceries in from the car' and just before the subsection on men doing 'all the grilling' and 'carving of the turkey'

Sheesh...didnt you get the man contract???

Mommy2NicknMax
03-28-2005, 11:43 AM
When I go alone I take a very small purse. I tried a fanny pack once but it just wasn't for me.

03-28-2005, 11:44 AM
A small messenger bag purse that slings across you is great.

figmentspark
03-28-2005, 11:44 AM
Well, I have two Disney bags...
I have a backpack shaped like a bear that I got at DCA. They don't make that anymore but you can get one in the shape of different Disney characters if I'm not mistaken.

I also have a really cute fanny pack (if such a thing exists). If you like stitch you may like this. Basically there is a stuffed stitch who is "holding on" to the fanny pack strap & he's wearing a backpack that you can hold things in. You can still buy that. I have found that they are both handy. I hope this helps!

kisroo
03-28-2005, 11:45 AM
I have used a "travel" purse for several DL trips and love it!

It's almost exactly like the black one in this PICTURE (http://www.travelsmith.com/ts/larger.jsp?ContentOID=272239&Category=%2fProductHierarchy%2fLuggage+%26+Accesso ries%2f+Daypacks+%26+Handbags&Category1=%2fProductHierarchy%2fLuggage+%26+Access ories&source=subcategory.jsp)

I got it at AAA of all places. I also like the microfiber, because it is easy to clean and dried fast~even after a few trips on Splash Mt! ;)

Have a great time!
~kisroo:)

tinkluver
03-28-2005, 11:46 AM
I use a little mini back pack. It's great to carry all the neccessities plus roomy enough to carry a camera or video camera. You definatly want your hands free and not to have to struggle with carrying a purse around. I also have one of those pin lanyard that has a pouch on it to carry all my tickets/ fastpasses. You can even stick your credit card or money in there for quick access when shopping. :)

Faith Trust & Pixie Dust
03-28-2005, 11:48 AM
In January I took a "wallet on a string" thingy that held money, passes, sunglasses and lipstick. The long string made it easy to wear like a messager bag (just much smaller). However, I also have to take a double stroller, so I can put lots of back-up stuff on that.

millionairegirl
03-28-2005, 11:55 AM
I either have a messenger bag or my regular purse. They don't get in my way at all.

I personally think a fanny pack would get in the way on rides, besides being incredibly dorky looking. No offense to fanny pack believers out there.

rentayenta
03-28-2005, 11:58 AM

Once again, Helen or 3894 reads my mind.

The fanny pack, although functional, is about as cool as wearing a unicorn t-shirt. ;)

kisroo
03-28-2005, 12:00 PM
Once again, Helen or 3894 reads my mind.

The fanny pack, although functional, is about as cool as wearing a unicorn t-shirt. ;)

note to self: Do NOT bring unicorn tee to meet Renta (eventually...) at DLR!! :geek: :p

MrsG
03-28-2005, 12:01 PM
I use a fanny pack (it is a black leather one that I bought at Nordstrom many years ago). It is large enough to hold my wallet, sunglasses and a small camera (plus a lipstick, tickets, etc.) Don't care if y'all think it's dorky. My hands are now free. I never worry about leaving my purse behind in a ride/restaurant. And my shoulders aren't sore from carrying around a backpack or my regular purse.

Of course, I always choose comfortable shoes too. I can only shake my head at those women in heels. Rookies.

SeansMom
03-28-2005, 12:30 PM
Backpack that hubby carries has all the essentials.
It's his job. It's in the 'man contract'. :)
Sheesh...didnt you get the man contract???

PLEASE send me a copy. Should have been provided with marriage licence, I suppose, but I never got one :eek:

This may be the best way to go. I like the idea of a fanny pack (hands free), but I have to agree that they aren't exactly couture!

In searching through my purses (something to ponder...why do I have SO many???) I did find a little mini sling with a longgg strap that I could "wear" so no worries of losing it. Also found a pretty cute fanny pack (black crochet)...but...well....maybe you just have to be a fanny pack kind of gal!

Thanks for your input. I'm sure hubby will be delighted :D

Cat H
03-28-2005, 12:41 PM
I use a small lightweight cloth backpack. I bought it at Old Navy but I have seen them at Target and The Gap. I like using it because it is smaller than a normal size backpack and it has a drawstring opening for easy access for me to reach all the essentials (brush etc.) Since it is made of lightweight fabric it dries fast in case you bring it with you on Slash Mtn. Mine has a little zippered sewn inside so you can keep your money seperate from everything else.

Pammer
03-28-2005, 12:51 PM
What is a messenger bag? I've never heard this term before!

ima_mickeyfan
03-28-2005, 12:52 PM
We take a backpack, seems to work best for us. I have several of them but the one I take to DL with us has many pockets inside, so I have a place for tickets, cash and camera, not to mention that dh said I was no longer able to video record our trips as we were watching a tape the other night and it about made him sea sick!! lol. so now dh can carry the backback, and digital recorder and everything else! besides we only take the camcorder to the park maybe 2x's during a weeks visit. too much to deal with.

CoasterChickie
03-28-2005, 01:12 PM
I have a lightweight knapsack that I always wear when I go to DL and I fill it with only the necessities.

Just recently, I bought a Cuties backack that has a warm blanket built right into it. I plan to put my wallet and camera in it and wear it at night so I can sit on the blanket for the parades, Fantasmic, and the fireworks! :)

stan4d_steph
03-28-2005, 01:22 PM
A small messenger bag purse that slings across you is great.:) Here's a link to the bag I own (http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/catalog/categories.t2?categoryId=11). I love it.

Crazy4DL
03-28-2005, 01:24 PM
We have the perfect camera case that has some little zipper pockets that money, credit cards, tickets, etc can fit in and I feel secure about them. The good thing about the camera case is it does not look like a purse so my dh and I can take turns carry/wearing it over our shoulders and he doesn't look like a poor man made to carry his dw's purse around ;)

HTHgal12
03-28-2005, 01:26 PM
Well I carry a Mickey Mouse purse that has hawaiian Mickey and Minnie on it that I got from wal mart, its pretty big but I love it. If my boyfriend goes, we have a backpack that he carries most of the time.

Pammer
03-28-2005, 01:31 PM
:) Here's a link to the bag I own (http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/catalog/categories.t2?categoryId=11). I love it.

Aaaahhh...now I see, thanks!

I actually use a small purse that I wear over one shoulder...it has a long strap and hangs down to my hip. There's enough room to hold my comb, readers, small wallet, and lipstick with no problems at all...it's very lightweight. My hubby wears a fanny pack which also holds the bottled water and cell phone or camera.

Leash81
03-28-2005, 01:31 PM

I totally agree. The one I have is even smaller than a small messeger bag but it holds my wallet, glasses, cell phone, camera, chapstick and antibacterial hand gel (what can I say the thought of what could be breeding on the surfaces around the park just makes me shiver). I got the bag years ago but since I only use it for Disneyland it is in great shape. It has the long string so I just have it across my body and even with all my stuff it never feels too heavy and it does not get in the way.
I tried a mini-backpack before but I actually caught someone rummaging in it once when I was stuck in a crowd so I never wear anything that I can't keep an eye on.

SCUBAbe
03-28-2005, 01:54 PM
I carry a backpack, messenger bag or purse. :)

justlittleoldme
03-28-2005, 02:09 PM
I solved the purse carrying problem by having two kids. It emlinated the need carry the purse by always having a stroller with two diaper bags to tote my..errr...their stuff. I could probably feed and dress a schoolbuss full of kids with all the stuff I bring for one day.

Though, I do have a friend that brings a umbrella stroller just to hold their jackets all day. No kid, just the stroller.

vmjess
03-28-2005, 02:14 PM
I use a messenger type bag that goes across the chest and rests on my hip- backpacks are annoying because you have to take them off everytime to get what you are looking for. Here's a link to the bag I use- it is cool because it has a water bottle holder too. This one works great because it is small enough that I don't have to take it off to ride on rides, it just sits on the seat next to me. but it is big enough to hold all the gear and snacks we need for my diabetic 4 year old son throughout the day.

My favorite Disneyland bag (http://www.rei.com/product/47694892.htm?)