PDA

View Full Version : Long lines, bad knee... What can I do?

Pages : 1 [2]

jennia
04-10-2005, 07:30 PM
I've seen people in the parks with these, but they're technically not 'allowed' in the park. Really? Even the walkers with the built in seat? I guess I never thought about it from the non-medical useage aspect. If I bring a chiar then everyone will want to bring a chair and it will start to look like we're at a soccer game not Disneyland, but if they are a medical aid, I would think Disney would be walking a fine line, ya know?

adriennek
04-10-2005, 07:34 PM
Oh, wait, Jennia. You wanted me to read EVERY word ;)

I missed the walker with a seat thing. I would think those would be ok. I don't know for sure. The cane with a seat in them is the seat I was talking about. I know I've been told that those are not ok.

As with many things at DLR, not all CM's enforce it equally.

Adrienne

Corwin17
04-11-2005, 10:05 AM
If you plan ahead, you could rent a wheelchair or ECV from an outside source and be able to take it back to your hotel with you in the evenings.Two years ago ... two days before our trip ... I threw my back out. :eek: (It was getting old, and needed replacing anyway. :p ) We ... well, Kitster ... did some quick research and found a place that would deliver and pick-up a wheelchair to/from your hotel. IIRC, the total charge was something like $14/day. If there is interest, I can try to find the info and post it here. LMK.

dsnyredhead
04-11-2005, 11:48 AM
Just a forewarning: I've seen people in the parks with these, but they're technically not 'allowed' in the park. So you can try to bring one, but you may be told at the gate that you cannot bring it into the park.

Adrienne

Why wouldn't a cane with a fold-out seat be allowed in the parks? If it allows people who can't stand for long amounts of time to sit down without renting a wheelchair, why not?

adriennek
04-11-2005, 11:51 AM
"you" can't bring a chair inside the park- For example, if you wanted to bring a lawn chair in and camp out on Main Street for a parade to start. So a cane with a chair in it would qualify. It's not seen as an assistance device like a wheelchair or a walker would be.

Adrienne

Tinkerbelle923
04-11-2005, 01:09 PM
that makes no sense (adrienne not disagreeing just trying to figure this out)
I am 30 but after 12 years of teaching young children (thus being on the floor all day everyday) I have destroyed my knees. I can no longer stand for long periods of time, I need to wear a knee brace, etc. and yet I do not want to rent a wheelchair, I can walk I just can't stand for long or my knee goes out and I fall (did i mention I'm only 30? this stinks) anyway I have been looking into options for making my trip in July less tramatic on my knee and had figured some sort of colapsable seat would really benifite me in lines (by colapsable I mean really small not disruptive, and compleatly portable.)
I understand Disneys point, I do not want to have to climb over chairs while walking down mainstreet and though I am not sopossed to sit on the floor i will be sitting for fantasmic (a chair/stool would just be rude to everyone else) but I must tell you, this is very frustrating.....I need to figure out a solution....

one more point a small seat would take up so much less room than me (who can walk) renting a wheelchair to save my knee and I would be able to wait in que where a wheel chair may not.....grumble, now what?

jennia
04-11-2005, 03:23 PM
The walker with a seat option? I know you are only 30 and you're going to look out of place with a walker but being able to sit down when you need to is priceless! Sam's Club sells them for about $100 but I know my MIL got one from her insurance company because her knees were bad.

Tinkerbelle923
04-11-2005, 08:42 PM
It's an interesting Idea, the walker, but I don't think it would work for me, for one I can walk without assistance (I can stand too, just not as long as I will need to at DL)
it's just that my knees have become very week lately. I am hoping the excercises the physical therapist showed me will help, but so far it only hurts more (I have fallen just getting up from the couch, on several occasions) I will also have my 2 kids with me and do not want to be hindered by a walker (or wheelchair).
Honestly, I'm not trying to complain this thread just made me think that I need to comeup with options so I can sit down when I need to.

as the first post asked, does anyone know of any other ways to take the strain off a bad knee. no walker, no wheelchair, aparently no collapsable seat.
I will have a brace on, good shoes, and taking it at a reasonable pace.
lots of asprin (anti-inflamitory) and ice.

Oh well.

SCUBAbe
04-11-2005, 08:56 PM
I have been looking into options for making my trip in July less tramatic on my knee and had figured some sort of colapsable seat would really benifite me in lines (by colapsable I mean really small not disruptive, and compleatly portable.)

you do realize the lines move almost continuously right?...are you planning on popping out a chair every 5 sec to sit for 5 sec? The lines that do not move as fast have very narrow queue areas. I'm not sure how large this cane/chair is, but I'm assuming larger enough for an average bottom....it just seems more of a hindrance than a necessity to me.

SCUBAbe
04-11-2005, 08:59 PM
as the first post asked, does anyone know of any other ways to take the strain off a bad knee. no walker, no wheelchair, aparently no collapsable seat.
I will have a brace on, good shoes, and taking it at a reasonable pace.
lots of asprin (anti-inflamitory) and ice.

Oh well.

if my knees were that bad and I felt the need to visit a place where I would aggravate it more I would rent the scooter. You would be able to sit most of the day and only stand for the lines and some lines can accomodate the scooters. :)

jennia
04-12-2005, 06:11 PM
The cane/ chair combo I saw in use at the park had a very small seat. I guess calling it a chair is probably misleading!!! It was just a cane with fold out legs and maybe a 7 or 8" round seat. It probalby wouldn't fit **my** bottom but the gentleman I saw using it was doing just fine with it. It was something like this cane seat (http://www.americarx.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=34670) but the seat was just a round disk like area.

Before DH was disabled (and it was just me who had a problem with mobility) I used to rent the scooter. DS was happy to ride along when I let him!! :D with 2 little ones you have more of a challenge that I did with my one child but if your knees are still bothering you the challenge of corralling the children might be less worrisome that the challenge of pain.

Like I said earlier, get there early, plan a route, don't back track, schedule in some shows so you can rest. My feet feel like they are on fire when I walk too far and I know I wouldn't make it without sitting down while I'm waiting in line and we take extra breaks. The standing almost still in the lines is worse for them than walking.

Be sure to check in with Guest Services and tell them you need to avoid stairs if that is the case. They will accomodate you if they can and give you the handbook on access to the rides.

SCUBAbe
04-12-2005, 06:40 PM
The standing almost still in the lines is worse for them than walking.

that and walking slow kills my knees...as long as I keep a steady pace I'm usually ok...another knee killer is planes, buses, and movie theaters. When ever I have to sit for any long period of time and I can't straighten my legs it's bad. Sometimes I go to stand and the right knee will just give out....I injured my knee at work. I was wearing heels (we had to dress up) trying to clean the shoe dept. when I stepped on a stray shoe and it torqued my right knee really bad. (the heels were about 2 1/2 inches.) i was in a brace and on crutches for a while...then just in a brace...it's alot better than it used to be, but I also have learned how not to aggravate it...for instance although I've always wanted to learn to ski my knee just will not be able to do it...but I still enjoy throwing snowballs...:)

ToursbabeC3po
05-04-2005, 02:44 PM
I have two kids one has aspergers and the other has ADHD with a sensory disorder. She is the one that is having the most problem with the lines these days. If anyone touches her she just screams and sometimes the nicest things do not come out of her mouth. I get a lot of looks and stares like I am not controlling my child. She is 10 years old and amazingly, a straight A student but freaks out in crowds because all of her senses are over stimulated. She does qualify for a pass and on super busy days we do use it but I get sick of people thinking we are just cutting the lines. Sometimes I wish they had a pass with a time to come back so we can say we waited.
The rides with fast pass are not so bad because people just assume we have a fast pass and are not getting any "privileges" But the attractions that we have to enter through the exit can be a nightmare.
We went to Knotts a few weeks back and attempted to wait in some lines (I just wanted to see if they could handle it.) And the ride operator told us to go get a pass. So I guess she is not ready for lines yet. As her brother gets older he has much more patients he is almost 13. I hope she grows out of the sensory problems like him. But he does like to go on the same ride over and over again if you let him.
Toursbabec3po