PDA

View Full Version : "Keep To The Right" signs in Adventureland

Pages : [1] 2

merlinjones
03-27-2005, 02:42 PM
The Keep to the Right signs in Adventureland are placed right in the middle of precious walkway space and create even more pedestrian traffic problems as they bar the flow of families and strollers. These hinder rather than help the congested walkway. New solution needed...

AaronInCal
03-27-2005, 03:01 PM
The Keep to the Right signs in Adventureland are placed right in the middle of precious walkway space and create even more pedestrian traffic problems as they bar the flow of families and strollers. These hinder rather than help the congested walkway. New solution needed...

Yes, they do cause a little extra congestion in Adventureland, but they are there to remind people to try and stay to their right to help the traffic flow. So many people will walk randomly through there and cause total gridlock. So they may seem to not help at all, but they to help some...

DonaldDuck14
03-27-2005, 03:38 PM
OMG pet peeve of the weeknd while doing guest control for Fantasmic. Why do people insist in going against traffic flow??? I don't know how many times people diregard us telling them to stay to the right instead they fight with us and go against traffic and then complain that it is taking them forever to get to where they are going. Its like going against traffic in a narrow walkway will make life easier on them. So if any of you guys are going to Disneyland and decide to visit that heavily crowded side of Disneyland after the first show of fantasmic, have some patients and don't go against traffic.

DonaldDuck14
03-27-2005, 03:45 PM
Oh yeah, a sign placed on a pole no more than 3-4 inches in diameter is sure taking alot of space in the walkway. The reason why its "not helping" is because people continue to be ignorant and go where ever they want. If they followed the sign (because there is printing on both sides) and stay to the right, logically it would help. And these signs are suppose to help if anything because those walkways weren't meant to hold large numbers of people at the time they were built, so its the size of the walkway, not because of some sign that takes LITTLE space.

olegc
03-27-2005, 05:21 PM

Yeah I have one for ya... Make Frontierland the only way IN to the westside of the park and make Adventureland the only way OUT of the west side of the park....

Or - you can only use the DLRR to get out of the west side, and only inbound traffic can come in...

Hey -Maybe dig a tunnel from Pirates that comes out at Coke Corner, and Rod Miller is there to greet you! ;-P

Don't just ask for a solution - come up with one... it seems people LOVE to point out faults but fail to provide alternatives. Yeah, I know it's DLR's job to do that and no, I am not a CM - but C'mon - it's holiday weekend, all the rides are open, and they are pushing the marketing gas pedal to the floor. What do you think will happen? It will only be more crowded later in the year.

We will all have to deal with these issues this year and just be flexible..

h_lehmann
03-27-2005, 05:58 PM
....they bar the flow of families and strollers. Are people that have a family somehow fatter than those that are orphans?

Flint
03-27-2005, 06:09 PM
Are people that have a family somehow fatter than those that are orphans?

No, what they are trying to say is that families are more important than other guests. At least, that's what I usually gather from people with children.

Or maybe they have a ridiculous sense of entitlement.

Former or latter, pretty much the same thing.

itig
03-27-2005, 06:21 PM
No, what they are trying to say is that families are more important than other guests. At least, that's what I usually gather from people with children.

...or possibly a flippant and rude generalization by you. give it a rest.

rentayenta
03-27-2005, 06:25 PM

Very ignorant statement at best. :rolleyes:

DisneyDustin22
03-27-2005, 06:51 PM
sounds to me like people are just so stupid now they have to resort to putting a sign up to tell you what common sense should. i mean come on, we drive on the right, escalators are always on the right, everything is right, right right. oh! :eek: wait are you from europe? :D i feel for you CM's doing guest control, I've been there and done that.

If you really wanna mess with the stupid ones, when they pass you, jump on the right side and quikcly get ahead of them, keep doing that, they'll wonder how you keep getting ahead of them and bothering them to keep to the right. ;) but i know you have positions to stay at, but still, its fun.

Emma
03-27-2005, 06:51 PM

Yes, that's correct.

People with children feel more important than other people and have a sense of entitlement.

All Christians are ignorant, hypocritical nazis.

And the whole world would be happier if they were alone, not in love, and bitter, because really, everyone and their brother is a liar, a cheater, and self serving.

Your insight astounds me.

--Emma

Marox3
03-27-2005, 06:52 PM

Flint, a reply to you is not warranted - it's already been said.

sleepyjeff
03-27-2005, 06:53 PM
Maybe just having a few more attractions on the West side of the Park would help :)

Flint
03-27-2005, 06:57 PM
L0L

animagusurreal
03-27-2005, 07:31 PM
i feel for you CM's doing guest control, I've been there and done that.

Having worked at a local "Family Fun Center", I've experienced some tiny, infantecimal fraction of what DL CM's must experience in crowd control, and I deeply sympathize.

I've experienced only one of the post-Fantasmic mass exoduses and I have to say that, as a guest who wasn't expecting it, it was very bewildering and frustrating. (We weren't even attending Fantasmic, just trying to get from Critter Country to Big Thunder.) At the time, I hadn't been to DL during the summer for a couple of years, but before that, I'd been many, many times during Fantasmic. There were, of course, major crowd movements when the show finished, but I'd never seen anything like that, there was never any time when we were directed all the way out to The Central Plaza. Has it always been this way and I was just lucky enough to miss it, or have the post-Fantasmic crowds gotten heavier in the past few years?

merlinjones
03-27-2005, 09:35 PM
>>Oh yeah, a sign placed on a pole no more than 3-4 inches in diameter is sure taking alot of space in the walkway. <<

>>Are people that have a family somehow fatter than those that are orphans?<<

No, but they tend to link together, five across, like denizens of Whoville at Christmas - - and its hard to get around them, especially if they have "double-wide" strollers - or when there is a post in the middle of the walkway to halt progress of the double-wide stroller - - I think the sentiment of stay to the right is good, but why not dangle the sign from above or place it to the side or somewhere other than in the middle of the thin street, where it is just another thing to dodge or slam into.

I'm not stressing about it, btw, just offering a casual, tarty observation - - and I never go that way during or near time for Fantasmic! so it must get even worse then.

Either way, it isn't working, is it? Maybe putting an unnessesary tree in the middle of that street wasn't such a great idea. Go back to the Swiss Family Robinson layout!

Niwel
03-27-2005, 09:56 PM
Yeah I have one for ya... Make Frontierland the only way IN to the westside of the park and make Adventureland the only way OUT of the west side of the park....

I actually thought of that over MA weekend when Lani and I were going from Critter Country to the Tiki room... between Indi and Jungle cruise on one side, and the bengel BBQ on the other, there is very little room to manuever. The "keep to the right" thing only works if you don't need to go left ... Adventureland should be the in ... Frontierland should be the out (wider area)....

Aussie MouseFan
03-28-2005, 12:36 AM
Something to consider... aside from North America and parts of Europe the majority of the world stay to the left side when travelling or walking.

Personally, I adjust to wherever I am (the right whilst in the U.S.) but you must remember that a large proportion of DLR visitors are from countries such as Australia where walking on the right usually means getting knocked over...

A friendly sign should be sufficient.

experiment626
03-28-2005, 06:56 AM
No, but they tend to link together
Generally so they don't get serperated from each other in the massive crowds that tend to be in that area in the afternoon/evening.

DonaldDuck14
03-28-2005, 07:26 AM

We do that after the first showing of Fantasmic on a busy night. Some peopel may have become very familiar with that. As people are wanting to go to the attractions like Splash, Mansion, and pirates are directed to go to Frontierland while the people "exiting" the show are lead out through adventureland. They also set up benches in Frontierland to split that main walkway where the inflow is on the right and the outflow is on the left and is lead through that connective walkway into adventureland and out. But people still get annoying and don't listen and do whatever they want and hop over the benches and do miscellaneous to add to the traffic. It's like we need to line the walkways with barbed wire or something to make them listen.

sdfilmcritic
03-28-2005, 07:45 AM
How about Merge With Traffic or Caution: Animal Stampedes Ahead?

sediment
03-28-2005, 09:15 AM
Hanging signs from wires across the pathway.
Heck, after Fantasmic! the hanging signs could point people to Frontierland path instead of Adventureland path. Most people would go for it, while the more adventurous ones (going to IJA, perhaps) will minimize the jam.
Hint for you Fantasmic! exiters: take the train.

GREGOR
03-28-2005, 10:29 AM
Something to consider... aside from North America and parts of Europe the majority of the world stay to the left side when travelling or walking.

Are you sure? :confused: I think you have that backwards. The majority of the world drives/travels on the right-hand side with the exception of England, its colonies and former colonies (except for Canada) plus a handful of other countries. (Roughly 4 billion people live in countries where they travel on the right compared to 2 billion for the left.)

Tinkerbelle923
03-28-2005, 11:35 AM

:eek: Ouch! Why be so rude?
Just because I (and so many others) hold one childs hand while my husband holds the other childs hand, then we follow each other does not mean we feel any sense of entitlement (other than getting through the crowd with the same 2 children we started with) and YES! I think thats rather important.

Aussie MouseFan
03-28-2005, 12:39 PM
Are you sure? I think you have that backwards.

Australia, UK, Japan, China, Russia, Asia

(Asia alone is a huge precentage of the worlds population)