PDA

View Full Version : DRR Ward Kimball Progress Report!

smd4
03-26-2005, 05:12 PM
Things are coming along nicely!

Today, the tender tank was lifted and set onto the frame. The cab was placed there some weeks ago, so the engine is really beginning to take shape, and one can really see what the engine will look like. Both the cab and the tender have been painted, lettered and striped (so have the sand dome, bell, and other components). The lettering is stunning, done in the best Disney tradition. She will differ from her siblings, in that all the lettering is hand-applied gold leaf. The drop-shadowing and striping are true examples of the striper’s art.

The cab of the engine is huge! It doesn’t have a roof hatch, but there will be plenty of ventilation through its large doors and windows. Most of the cab fittings have been installed, including the throttle and Johnson Bar. Of particular interest is the gauge stand—the cast iron bracket that holds the steam gauge, and, above it, the brake gauge. This piece is a Baldwin original, and it is rare because through the years, shop crews would often cut off the top gauge mount. This one is as original as the day it left the Baldwin erecting floor in 1902.

The process has begun to re-install the Stephenson valve gear components. Much of the valve gear is original Baldwin as well, recognizable because of the stampings “8 11 1/3 C” which indicate the locomotive style in Baldwin “code.”

The smokebox front and door have been installed, with the door cast from the original pattern used to make the doors for the four other Disneyland engines. A new headlight bracket, fabricated along the lines of the one on the Marsh, has been bolted to the smokebox. The boiler braces have also been attached between smokebox and pilot deck.

New driver centers are being cast as I write this (rectifying a repair made to one of the wheels during Cedar Fair days). The tender and pony trucks have already been painted, with the tender truck having been attached. The cylinders themselves have been encased in polished brass.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed this report. This engine is just beautiful. It will be even more so when steam fills her cylinders, her whistle screams, and she pulls out of Main Street Station for the first time--a fitting tribute to the man who played such an influential role in the history of Disney steam railroading.

sleepyjeff
03-26-2005, 06:32 PM
Thanks for all that info. Looks like things are going good :)

CrazyTrain
03-27-2005, 09:39 AM
Awesome!
Can't wait to see it :)

tod
03-27-2005, 09:57 AM
Anyway, hope you enjoyed this report. This engine is just beautiful. It will be even more so when steam fills her cylinders, her whistle screams, and she pulls out of Main Street Station for the first time--a fitting tribute to the man who played such an influential role in the history of Disney steam railroading.

I sure did. Have they announced a roll-out date?

--t

TikiGeek
03-27-2005, 10:38 AM
This engine is just beautiful. It will be even more so when steam fills her cylinders, her whistle screams, and she pulls out of Main Street Station for the first time--a fitting tribute to the man who played such an influential role in the history of Disney steam railroading. [goosebumps!] Thank you for the report. It's so nice to hear of wonderful things like this going on at Disneyland. :)

03-27-2005, 01:13 PM
Excellent!

Thanks for the report, smd4.

sunfun94
03-28-2005, 05:28 PM
What a wonderful update! Thanks for taking the time to let us know! Do we know of a expectant roll out date as tod had asked? :D

Airspoon
03-29-2005, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the update, any chance of some photos? Please keep us up to date on the progress.

P.S. The book is fantastic! I got it for my Dad at Christmas, & he is on his 3rd "trip" through it!

:D

Opus1guy
03-29-2005, 11:44 AM
smd4...Thanks for the report.

Any word on the Lilly Belle? Last year they (City Hall) were promising it would be rolling in time for the 50th.

smd4
03-29-2005, 12:50 PM
Thanks, Airspoon! That's great to hear.

Unfortunately, there are no pictures. ;)

Also unfortunately, I have heard nothing about the Lilly Belle, and I believe she remains in her inoperable, dry-rotted state. :(

I will try to post updates as things progress, as I am able.