PDA

View Full Version : DISNEY'S CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE in need of new ADVERTISING?

DisneylandKid
01-05-2002, 05:27 PM
I was recently speaking with somebody from Texas who was planning a trip to the Disneyland Resort in the months ahead. They'd been to Disneyland before (and loved the fact that it wasn't a typical amusement park - but a THEME park), but asked if they should stop by at DCA - they sad in ALL of the ads they'd seen it simply looked like Disney's version of 6 Flags (which was not meant as a compliment.)

That got me thinking... almost every advertisement I've seen for DCA has been a picture of Paradise Pier, specifically the Sun Wheel and parts of California Screamin'. Even though I appreciate the theme of Paradise Pier, I'll admit that it shouldn't be the primary area being advertised. Why not show parts of Pacific Wharf, Hollywood Pictures Backlot, or the Grizzly River Run/Redwood Creek area?? These show that DCA is more than just 6 Flags, which no matter how you look at it, it is.

DisneylandKid
01-05-2002, 08:43 PM
I was recently speaking with somebody from Texas who was planning a trip to the Disneyland Resort in the months ahead. They'd been to Disneyland before (and loved the fact that it wasn't a typical amusement park - but a THEME park), but asked if they should stop by at DCA - they said in ALL of the ads they'd seen, it simply looked like Disney's version of 6 Flags (which was not meant as a compliment.)

That got me thinking... almost every advertisement I've seen for DCA has been a picture of Paradise Pier, specifically the Sun Wheel and parts of California Screamin'. Even though I appreciate the theme of Paradise Pier, I'll admit that it shouldn't be the primary area being advertised. Why not show parts of Pacific Wharf, Hollywood Pictures Backlot, or the Grizzly River Run/Redwood Creek area?? These show that DCA is more than just 6 Flags, which no matter how you look at it, it is.

2CN
01-05-2002, 09:48 PM
Well they have finally started advertising Blast! at DCA.. it isnt a long comercial.. just goes something like "Blast.. now at Disneys California Adventure!" they could stand to explain the show better.

Nigel2
01-05-2002, 10:31 PM
I am pretty sure that the commercial footage is from the tv special they show on PBS since the people look like they are from the europe group and this group was assembled here.

9oldmen
01-06-2002, 08:19 AM
I'm reading today's paper, and looking at an ad for the IMAX "Beauty and the Beast". At the bottom of the ad, there is one of those cross-polination ads saying "Visit Disneyland".
That's all? Not "Visit the Disneyland Resort, and especially DCA, Pleeeze!".

coronamouseman
01-06-2002, 09:26 AM
Why waste valuable marketing dollars in a currently tough economy on something like DCA when you have a gem like Disneyland to focus on?

Look for more emphasis on the quality product with secondary emphasis on DLR and DCA.

Will be interesting to see if Disney comes up with any new ticketing offers for the January-March/Post-Easter to June offseason - possibly the same old $49 pay once get two parks deal but extended to any guest rather than just locals?

Universal has already extended their "one-day get one-year" deal - one can expect the usual blitz of $20 admission coupons for Knott's at the local fast food joints soon.

DisneylandBoy
01-06-2002, 09:35 AM
I agree with DisneylandKid. I think that if Disney advertised the more Disney-themed areas of DCA, then more people would visit because it looks like a Disney park. Of course, once they got there they would realize how wrong they were but . . . . AT LEAST THEY PAID TO GET IN! :rolleyes:

DisneylandKid
01-06-2002, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by DisneylandBoy
Of course, once they got there they would realize how wrong they were but . . . . AT LEAST THEY PAID TO GET IN! :rolleyes: :mad:

mspangler
01-06-2002, 10:02 AM
I never really thought about the DCA advertising, but now I remember mostly Paradise Pier being shown in the ads.

Even though DCA isn't an "amusement park", that's probably what it looks like to most people who are watching the commercials.

DCA's advertising needs some improvement. Show some other areas of the park---the GRR area would be nice.

Not Afraid
01-06-2002, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by DisneylandBoy
Of course, once they got there they would realize how wrong they were but . . . . AT LEAST THEY PAID TO GET IN! :rolleyes:

I don't think that's the attitude that Disney would take. Marketing / advertising dollars well spent means the customer visits, had a great time and returns again and again bringing friends. The goal is to grow the business for the long term, not only to make a buck for the short haul. Focusing only on the short term is too much work and costs way too much money for the benefit.

Iceman
01-06-2002, 07:35 PM
This is only peripherally related to the topic, but I thought of it while reading this...

I was at my parents' place for the holidays (they are almost as big Disney freaks as I am) and we were watching TV one morning, flipping channels. We saw Disney characters and stopped; it turned out to be Regis and Kelly at DCA. My parents haven't been there yet but they've heard about it from me, so we were eager to see it on TV so I could point things out to them. I hate Regis, but we figured it would be worth putting up with him to see some great PR shots of the park.

There was nothing! Just like DisneylandKid said in his original post, the background was California Screamin', and they never showed any other part of the place! Well, I take that back. Kelly and some soap opera guy pretended to be servers at the Soap Opera Cafe (made me glad I didn't eat there). This seemed like a real wasted opportunity to me.

Morrigoon
01-06-2002, 09:09 PM
I don't think that's the attitude that Disney would take. Marketing / advertising dollars well spent means the customer visits, had a great time and returns again and again bringing friends. The goal is to grow the business for the long term, not only to make a buck for the short haul. Focusing only on the short term is too much work and costs way too much money for the benefit.

If that were really the case, they'd have built a better park. One that did not need semi-deceptive ads to get people through the gates. The mere fact that we even have to suggest such a strategy points to a major failing of the company. Now that they've build this albatross, however, they have to sell it. So if selling it on the basis that it looks like their local Wally World isn't working, they really ought to consider different approaches.

You know, it occurs to be Toontown would have been well placed in DCA. 'Course its already built in DL, so too late to move it.

Iceman
01-06-2002, 09:26 PM
That's somewhat misleading, because let's say no one knew what Disneyland was all about and the only marketing pushed Fantasyland. Not "It's a place the whole family can enjoy," or "Experience six themed lands of Disney magic," but just "See some slow rides based on famous fairy tales." Honest marketing about the whole DCA experience would probably be more effective than their current limited methods focusing on Paradise Pier.

Darkbeer
01-06-2002, 09:31 PM
Let me post a quote I placed elsewhere....

A Quote from Paul Pressler

"It's a bit of a misnomer to say that there's some magic marketing approach that Disney has that can be a panacea, It takes a great film, a great show, a great ride, a great team. Marketing just helps communicate that."

This is from an article in Sunday's (1/6/2001) L.A. Times Sports page in regards of Tony Tavares resigning as president of Disney's Anaheim Sports division.

It also states, Disney acknowledges that laser shows and rappelling mascots do not compel fans to pay premium prices to watch crummy teams.