PDA

View Full Version : Island gone in Paradise pier?

Disney Vault
03-26-2005, 11:08 AM
Is the island gone that used to sit in paradise pier in DCA? Other sites are reporting that it has been removed but I haven't heard anyone confirm it. For those of you who aren't sure what I am talking about, it is the island used for illuminaria that was next to the sun wheel.

Marox3
03-26-2005, 11:13 AM
Is the island gone that used to sit in paradise pier in DCA? Other sites are reporting that it has been removed but I haven't heard anyone confirm it. For those of you who aren't sure what I am talking about, it is the island used for illuminaria that was next to the sun wheel.

We haven't seen it for awhile. My DH says it retracts under water. Do they still do illuminaria? I haven't seen it for a couple years.

Jeremiah
03-26-2005, 11:40 AM
We haven't seen it for awhile. My DH says it retracts under water. Do they still do illuminaria? I haven't seen it for a couple years.

No it "floats" above the water at all times it had a deep center. I recall seeing it at the end of last month but I will check next time. And Crapinaria only lasted one season then never is talked about again.

J

Darkbeer
03-27-2005, 09:22 AM
It was removed a couple of days ago, and it took a couple of cranes, and some welding to get it removed.....

Here is a look at the lake, minus the Bird Poop Island... (and a look at the Stupid-Star Lame-O makeover)...

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/454539

Disney Vault
03-27-2005, 11:32 AM
Great pictures. Glad to know it is true and not just a rumor.

sdfilmcritic
03-28-2005, 07:53 AM
It sure would be nice if it is gone. It stuck out like a sore thumb to me.

Darkbeer
03-28-2005, 08:12 AM
IT IS GONE!!! Check out the MP Disneyland weekly update from today... I PROMISE that photo was not photoshopped....

It was a bit more complicated than they expected, and had to get some welders and such to help out the cranes in the removal of the island.

SoCalSteven
03-28-2005, 08:46 AM
IT IS GONE!!! Check out the MP Disneyland weekly update from today... I PROMISE that photo was not photoshopped....

It was a bit more complicated than they expected, and had to get some welders and such to help out the cranes in the removal of the island.
Saw it yesterday. It is not in the middle anymore. It has been moved under the pier/bridge near Ariel's Grotto.

sdfilmcritic
03-28-2005, 08:52 AM
Saw it yesterday. It is not in the middle anymore. It has been moved under the pier/bridge near Ariel's Grotto.At least it's stowed away instead of placed out in the middle for the world to see.

SoCalSteven
03-28-2005, 08:58 AM
At least it's stowed away instead of placed out in the middle for the world to see.
True. There are wires and things floating around in the water though.

Family5LovesDisney
03-28-2005, 09:01 AM
True. There are wires and things floating around in the water though. I think that is why my husband kept wondering if there was a fountain show or some other type of show in the water. He saw the wires.

ima_mickeyfan
03-28-2005, 10:19 AM
:) Darkbeer: I love looking at your pictures, they are always so awesome! maybe I should hire you to take pictures for me to scrapbook when we go to DL. keep them comming!

Disney Vault
03-28-2005, 02:45 PM

That could have been a funny april fools day prank. Photoshop out the island and start a rumor that gets people all excited.

Thanks god it is for real. But I really hop a show end up going in there. I just don't want it to require an ugly island.