PDA

View Full Version : Just booked April vacation... last minute questions!

orangechicken
03-23-2005, 06:52 PM
Just booked a vacation for the second week of april, 5 days 4 nights! I have some last minute questions about my trip:
1) How cold does it get at night? I've never been in spring before and I'm not sure if I need a jacket and/or long pants for evening rides.
2) Which table service restaurant should we (mom and I) go to? I want to surprise her with a nice dinner, price is no problem, just good quality food and a relaxing place. (inside parks or at d-land hotels). Also, what time/day (tuesday, wednesday, or thursday) should we go?
3) Staying at candy cane inn, how long is the walk to the front gates?
4) Any not to be missed rides/attractions/souveniers???

Thanks for your help!

MsYumiBr
03-23-2005, 07:04 PM
Who is in your party? Just you and your mom?

Lekta
03-23-2005, 07:18 PM
1. Varies but I'd bring a jacket just in case.
2. Blue Bayou is a nice choice in the park (located in New Orleans)
3. Bout 5 mins or so
4. There are many not to be missed rides:
Tower of Terror
Indiana Jones
Splash Mountain
Soarin
Cali Screamin
to name just a few. However, with 5 days there you will be able to do everything twice!

Have a great time! I will be there at the same time too!

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
03-23-2005, 07:27 PM
bring shorts and tshirts also, we were there last april and it was freakishly hot. We had to keep running the kids over to DCA to let them play in the water, you just never know in Southern California.

Blazing hot, or lovely and cool with a nice marine layer.

bradk
03-23-2005, 09:45 PM
i'm not sure i'd recommend blue bayou for a 'nice' restaurant. it's a must see for its ambience but it's still more of a family restaurant. plus you have to deal with riders on pirates offering you their wit. plus there's no alcohol served there (although i'm sure getting drunk with your mom probably isn't the first thing on your mind).

Napa Rose in the GCH is often recommended.

Day of the week won't matter really I don't think. Especially since it's spring break season.

the weather average ranges from low 50s at night to a high of low 70s. so far this year, the weather has been running mostly slightly below its average. but there have been days where it's been 5 degrees or so above the average as well, but mind you you're surrounded by people which will increase the temperature, not to mention the park itself absorbing heat.

and i agree about the not to be missed thing. first off it's a loaded question since everyone has their own preferences and you haven't expressed anything that interests you, but if you are going to be in the parks for 5 days, i wouldn't concern myself with it. do what you want when you want.

MsYumiBr
03-24-2005, 06:16 AM
Assuming that it's just you and your mom, there are certain things at DL that if you aren't aware of may not get to do because it requires knowing about it. My usual older adult trips to DL include making a beeline to Golden Horseshoe and make reservations for a showtime. They are bringing the old show back which my parents always enjoyed. Snow White is a very nice show and so is Aladdin at DCA. Fantasmic! and Electrical Parade have a dessert buffet for $54 pp last I heard. It goes up all the time though. I was on the balcony for Fantasmic! and it was the first time I could watch the show from all angles but it was the same on either side so I just appreciated being able to see the whole show for once and not have to sit on the ground. You can make meal reservations 60 days in advance which I would highly suggest doing just so you aren't waiting in 2 hour line for a 9:00 dinner. We did that once on 4th of July for Blue Bayou.

stan4d_steph
03-24-2005, 06:40 AM
Just booked a vacation for the second week of april, 5 days 4 nights! I have some last minute questions about my trip:
1) How cold does it get at night? I've never been in spring before and I'm not sure if I need a jacket and/or long pants for evening rides.http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=39079

2) Which table service restaurant should we (mom and I) go to? I want to surprise her with a nice dinner, price is no problem, just good quality food and a relaxing place. (inside parks or at d-land hotels). Also, what time/day (tuesday, wednesday, or thursday) should we go?http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=38789

3) Staying at candy cane inn, how long is the walk to the front gates?http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=37341

orangechicken
03-25-2005, 09:04 AM
Thanks for your help everyone!

Terri
03-25-2005, 06:17 PM
My mom's favorite restaurant was Blue Bayou - we spent a lot of time in there during the last 20 years of her life (she passed away at 85 in 2001). She especially liked it BECAUSE it was inside a ride. It made her feel special and she loved the ambiance. About it being a "family" restaurant...I've never found it to be the case. Yes, there are families in there, but they don't do anything really special for kids or "advertise" it as a children-friendly restaurant. I think she would love it. Enjoy!

And about things to not miss...again, this depends on your mom's age and what she likes to do. My mom loved to watch people and all the shows, but hated anything that was "scary" like roller coasters, dropping rides, etc. She loved fantasyland, new orleans square, etc.

Again...Enjoy! :p

Lekta
03-26-2005, 08:14 AM
You are very welcome, have a Magical Trip! And, if you would, let us know how it went! Maybe i'll see you there!