PDA

View Full Version : My sister is at the park and needs some help...

Pages : [1] 2

Scalper10
03-23-2005, 01:36 PM
My sister and her 2 year old son are at the park with her 4 year old niece and my sisters In-Laws. They went to the Breakfast with the Princesses yesterday morning. $25 a plate and the Princesses never came and greeted anyone on the side of the resturant they ate on. When my sister and her mother in law complained to a cast member and her boss. The Boss said you are only guarented to see the Princesses not meet them. My sister said there were 2 little girls sitting at the table next to them in tears cause the princesses never came close to greeting them. Is there anything they can do to get their money back? Please let me know they leave in the morning to head home.

Thanks

stan4d_steph
03-23-2005, 01:41 PM
Go to City Hall and complain. That's what they do, among other things - take complaints.

etixnostalgia
03-23-2005, 02:04 PM
This is why I hate character dining. I had basically the same experience at the Princess breakfast. Between the zero character interaction, insane food line, and the fact that they ran out of coffee, I was ready to lose it completely, given the cost of the meal.

itig
03-23-2005, 02:43 PM
That's awful! I would definitely complain to City Hall. I'm not sure how 'nasty' they want to get with this, but if they used a credit card to pay, they could contact the card company and request they deny the charge. Not sure if it works the same way for purchasing food/services as it does for merchandise, but it's worth a shot if you believe it's justified. Again...sorry to hear this happened to these girls :(

The old man
03-23-2005, 04:01 PM
...but if they used a credit card to pay, they could contact the card company and request they deny the charge. :(

Not a great idea. There is no contract to provide interaction with the Princesses. I don't know if it's implied, but it seems the wrong way to go.

David

itig
03-23-2005, 04:05 PM
Not a great idea. There is no contract to provide interaction with the Princesses. I don't know if it's implied, but it seems the wrong way to go.

David

Yeah, you're right, but I was just trying to think of something :)

dsnyredhead
03-23-2005, 04:09 PM
Over the recent years, character interaction with the guests has become rare on my visits to character meals. Typically they will go to the tables with children, but it is possible that they simply miss the table. We've been stuck in back corners, behind doorways where they walk through, etc. The characters have limited vision around them but the guides that walk them through should spot this sort of thing sooner so that children don't get left out. We've flagged down a guide or two to let them know they missed our table, but as another pointed out, there is no guarantee that your child will have direct interaction with any of the characters.

Fozzie
03-23-2005, 04:31 PM
Chalk it up to tiny budgets. There should really be MORE characters in the dining areas, especially during peak times.

In most cases, I promise you, the characters are doing everything they can to make the rounds during their time on the floor. In the case of costume characters, they must break every thirty minutes so that they can get some much-needed oxygen and hydration.

I'd certainly make a complaint. It's sad when that sort of thing happens to kids....

AnnaBanana
03-23-2005, 04:58 PM
That's awful! I would definitely complain to City Hall. I'm not sure how 'nasty' they want to get with this, but if they used a credit card to pay, they could contact the card company and request they deny the charge.

Unfortunately, I don't think that will work. I don't work with disputes much (I am the payment posting queen), but I believe that if they signed the receipt they agreed to that charge. However, let me check into that before you quote me on it.

Earkid
03-23-2005, 06:41 PM
In most cases, I promise you, the characters are doing everything they can to make the rounds during their time on the floor. In the case of costume characters, they must break every thirty minutes so that they can get some much-needed oxygen and hydration.I understand that the characters need regular breaks but we observed a phenomenon while at Goofy's Kitchen one trip. We would see a character come on stage and watch the pathway they took to greet tables. Then they would go off for a break and another character would arrive and begin at the very same tables. The people at those tables were constantly interacting with characters while people (like those at my table) maybe "met" with one character, Goofy as he was leaving a birthday party he waved at us as he passed. We spoke with our server and told her what we observed and she spoke with a handler and then we were able to have some table time with at least five characters after that.

This is why I don't think it is a lack of characters but just bad planning and communication between them.

CoasterChickie
03-23-2005, 06:57 PM
I am really sorry to hear about your sister's experience. I wonder if she could go back to the restaurant when it's not as busy and talk to another CM about what happened. Maybe the CM would allow the kids to come in without paying just to say hello to the princesses and get their pictures taken.

And she should definitely fill out a complaint form at City Hall. The character breakfasts are not cheap . They need to know that for the price they pay, the guests expect some interaction with the princesses other than just seeing them.

Crazy4DL
03-23-2005, 08:29 PM
I am really sorry to hear about your sister's experience. I wonder if she could go back to the restaurant when it's not as busy and talk to another CM about what happened. Maybe the CM would allow the kids to come in without paying just to say hello to the princesses and get their pictures taken.

That seems like a really good idea to me - biggest thing at this point, in my opinion, is salvage the little ones upset at not getting to have time with the princesses.

Scalper10
03-23-2005, 09:25 PM
Thanks for all the responces. I am calling her cell phone now. She said she felt really bad for the girls dressed in the Snow White outfits at the tabke next to them that were in tears.

Thanks again for the quick responces!

cstephens
03-23-2005, 09:44 PM
I understand that the characters need regular breaks but we observed a phenomenon while at Goofy's Kitchen one trip. We would see a character come on stage and watch the pathway they took to greet tables. Then they would go off for a break and another character would arrive and begin at the very same tables. The people at those tables were constantly interacting with characters while people (like those at my table) maybe "met" with one character, Goofy as he was leaving a birthday party he waved at us as he passed.

Funny, we had the exact opposite experience last Easter at Goofy's Kitchen sitting at one of the "pathway" tables. We were seated at a table about two away from where they came onstage and went offstage. They all walked by us really quickly when they were leaving or coming, but the only person who actually stopped at our table was Alice. It was really frustrating that they only saw us as the people to wave to as they went on break or as they were on their way to see other people.

JSKoehler
03-24-2005, 07:00 AM
We have never encountered any problem with having lots of character interaction at WDW . . . in fact at out last visit when we went to the Pooh Breakfast in the Crystal Palace, the CM serving our table made it clear that we were to stay as long as we wanted and until each character had come by our table. So what gives that DLR can't provide the same service at the saem cost? Are there economies of scale at WDW that make it possible, or is DLR just not as experienced in these programs? I think management needs to take a hard look at how the two resorts are operating and make adjustments where one is clearly outperforming the other.

Earkid
03-24-2005, 07:18 AM
Funny, we had the exact opposite experience last Easter at Goofy's Kitchen sitting at one of the "pathway" tables. Actually, when I use the term "pathway" I wasn't referring to tables in the direct pathway to and from the staging door. I just meant a particular routine or route amongst the tables that the characters were taking in a certain area of the restaurant.

Come to think of it, the time we had the most character interaction was when we were tucked back in a corner table. The incident I spoke of previously, when we were ignored, occurred when we were at a long table on the ramp up to the birthday area. There were no tables around us just one across the other side of the ramp.

I just don't understand why it is so hard to devise a plan where each table gets some face time with some of the characters. My idea would be that they stop doing the stupid macarena dance. At least nix it if the place is so full that the little kids can't even make their way to the dance floor with out being trampled by parents with cameras :eek: . It was so frustrating because one of the characters would be headed our way and, sure enough, the macarena music would start and off they would go to dance. After the dance the character that was originally headed our way would head off in another direction.

stan4d_steph
03-24-2005, 07:32 AM
They could always have the characters sit somewhere and each table visits them one at a time. Of course, that would be like what you do in the park without having to pay a lot for a buffet meal.

Is there some rule that says you can't get up and go see the characters if they haven't visited you and you're about to leave?

hlbtimes2
03-24-2005, 07:47 AM
Scalper- have you heard back from your sister? Was she able to get anywhere with her complaint?

We have done the Pooh breakfast (now the princess breakfast) twice. Once in May 2000, then again in Dec 2003. We had a wonderful experience both times. The last trip we had Tigger, at our table trying to get our 2 year old to warm up to him, for about 10 minutes. He was flying like an airplane around our table, playing peek-a-boo, etc. He finally ended up rolling around on the floor with our then 5 year old. The rest of the gang also came over at least once, if not 2 or 3 times each, during our breakfast.

ChipmunkStar
03-24-2005, 07:56 AM
The problem with the princess breakfast is not with the princesses, it's in the restaurant. Look at all the tables on the inside of the restaurant, ok that's not so bad. But then add in the tables on BOTH sides of the patio.

Does anyone realize howm any tables there are there? And the restaurant insists on filling each one, especially with this week being a Spring Break holiday for many. When it was just the Pooh characters, I don't think it got that busy. But now... Oh man, I'm sure it's hard for every single princess to visit EVERY single table, especially with the people who interrupt their rounds, thus attracting more people. They get stopped mid-restaurant, without any way out.

Until the restaurant stops overloading the place, this is a problem that just won't stop.

mousey_girl
03-24-2005, 08:05 AM
We never had a problem when it was Pooh & Friends. We haven't gone since it changed to the Princesses, since I have an 8 yr old Prince it is something I don't feel the need to do. I always prefered Goofy's. Our last visit was with my mom. We didn't have a whole lot of interaction, only 3-4 characters made it to our table, but no biggy. We had a wonderful waitress (who I had had before) who more than made up for lack of characters. I can say with confidence, had I mentioned it to her we would have been swarmed.

AprilShowers
03-24-2005, 08:48 AM
The Boss said you are only guarented to see the Princesses not meet them.

That makes absolutely NO sense to me! Why on earth would anyone want to pay $25 to WATCH the charachters interact with OTHER people!!?
I'd say that's a line of crap and I wouldn't accept that excuse at all.
Good luck to your sister.

kadiehl
03-24-2005, 09:32 AM
This is so sad and I feel so bad for those tearful little girls. I have never been to Disneyland but I have been to 3 Princess Character Meals at Walt Disney World and I can honestly tell you that this never happened to me or my children. We have always met each character individually.

Also, when we were dining at the Crystal Palace at WDW once, we were getting our food and missed Pooh. We just secretly told a waitress and Pooh came right over to see my son and daughter and then went on to resume his normal "pattern" of visiting people.

We have never had a negative character dining experience.

disney jones
03-24-2005, 09:37 AM
i would definitely head to City Hall. That's the only recourse and i have a feeling they'd accomodate.

I've attended 8 character breakfasts around DLR the last 10 months. I've never had an expereince where i didn't meet all the characters we wanted to meet. But a lot of times, that meant being patient (very patient), and definitely not being afraid to speak with a hostess to get some time with your kids.

The characters do the best they can and are all very nice, but if you're not rude, and make polite requests, and remain patient (very patient), you'll be ultimately successful.

Our last trip to Ariels Grotto two weeks ago was a typical situation. we were in there almost 2 hours and a lot of it was waiting and making sure we got our investment returned on meeting the charaters. It took patience (and more patience), and once we had to ask a hostess for some help.

But in a case of complete no-shows and no respite from a restaurant like this one, i'd immediatly proceed to City Hall.

Please let us know how it turned out. :)

Earkid
03-24-2005, 09:44 AM
Is there some rule that says you can't get up and go see the characters if they haven't visited you and you're about to leave?We asked our server about this since we saw other people swarming the characters. I think people walking up to the characters to interact is one reason they don't have time to visit all the tables. The server said the management would prefer we stayed at the table and let the characters come to us, then they do the stupid macarena thing and that encourages everyone to get out of their seats and go to the characters. :confused: We dutifully stayed in our seats and luckily our wonderful server arranged for several characters to visit with us.

When you are first seated, the server comes to your table to take your drink order (at least they do at Goofy's Kitchen). This is when the server should inform the patrons that they should not try to follow the characters but wait for them to come to the table.

hlbtimes2
03-24-2005, 10:01 AM
When you are first seated, the server comes to your table to take your drink order (at least they do at Goofy's Kitchen). This is when the server should inform the patrons that they should not try to follow the characters but wait for them to come to the table.

I dont know if it is the same, now with the princess, but when it was Pooh breakfast, there wasnt a server or drink service. The only "service" was to bus the dirty dishes off the tables.