PDA

View Full Version : Camera Recommendations for Disneyland

tedfenley
03-23-2005, 01:32 AM
Visiting Disneyland soon; does anyone recommend a good digital camera for the light and dark elements in a picture you're going to run into all over the park? I see so many different kinds of cameras just wondering if anyone really has had a great experience with one brand over another..Thanks

bradk
03-23-2005, 03:02 AM
darkbeer uses a s5000, so you can see what that particular camera will do for you at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

bottom line is shooting without proper lighting is always tricky. most cameras have scene assist to help those who like to point and shoot, but the shutter always has to be open longer to allow more light in for a proper exposure and that always risks images being smeared due to shaky hands and moving objects. you can use a tripod or try a camera that has image stablization, but it doesn't help when your target is moving. you just have to rely on manual techniques like adjusting the aperture or shooting in a different ISO mode.

my camera does up to ISO 800, but only shoots at 3MP at that speed. (it does 6MP normally and '12 MP' interpolated).

your best bet is to find a camera that you'll be happy with under normal conditions and then locate a website that discusses that camera and you'll probably find lots of tips when it comes to shooting in less than desirable conditions.

bradk
03-23-2005, 04:33 AM
i neglected to mention both the s5000 and s7000 are fujifilm

justlittleoldme
03-23-2005, 07:47 AM
No fancy cameras here, but I take my Canon Powershot A70 with me. It has a lot of settings and I can turn the flash on and off and zoom. They look good on the computer and it makes good prints. I can hold it with one hand and zoom and take pictures. I've even dropped it and it still works fine.

disney jones
03-23-2005, 10:51 AM
just take a digital camera and shoot away, taking multiple shots at each location.. bring extra batteries and plenty of memory.

Besides the characters, the best shots of my girls have turned out to be on the Monorail, the Autopia, the big ships, and the carousels - have fun!

sambo
03-23-2005, 05:50 PM
The quick answer is look at the lens - most digitals are around f2.8 or greater aperture lens. Strive for a f1.8 (like the Olympus 5050, 4040, 3040, 2040). The lower the number the less light that's needed to expose the picture. In digital - that means the less time the shutter is open - which means less blurry in low light.

I purchased a 5050 over two years ago when the 5MP cameras were rare. I'm glad I did. Even though there are better cameras on the market today (costing 2 to 3 times as much), I still produce incredible pictures.

SoCalSteven
03-23-2005, 06:40 PM
I love the Digital Rebel I've got, but it is way to big and heavy. I have my Cannon A40 on me more often.