PDA

View Full Version : Last Minute Trip---Please Help

2munchkins
03-22-2005, 06:50 AM
Last minute after realizing my husband was off of work this week and my oldest is off for spring break we decided a couple of days ago to drive down to DL (about 6 hours). So now I've checked the weather and it's supposed to rain and it sounds like SB is totally the busiest time to go so I'm totally thinking this was a bad decision. But anyways we are taking dh's mom who hasn't been to DL in 40 years and I really would like to show her Fantasmic. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good place to stake out a spot for the show and what time you think we should get there. Also we bought those 3 day AAA park hopper passes and I was wondering is it possible to turn these into season passes? One more question I have been reading on this site about Ridemax and I was wondering if I should do that since the crowds are going to be so bad? Any thoughts....

Thanks

lisap
03-22-2005, 07:01 AM
But anyways we are taking dh's mom who hasn't been to DL in 40 years and I really would like to show her Fantasmic. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good place to stake out a spot for the show and what time you think we should get there.

Just a thought--how is your MIL for sitting on the ground? If you want to stake out a spot out in front by the railing there will be a lot of that involved, and for a long time. We usually stake out our spot by five and take turns sitting until the crowds get too big to move in and out of our spot easily. Think about bringing a thick blanket and/or cushions for her to sit on--rent a locker in the morning. If it's raining the shows will be cancelled--so keep an eye on the weather.

Hakuna Makarla
03-22-2005, 07:04 AM
Last year we got a table at some resturant there ( not sure what it was ) and we had cheese cake and bread bowls. the seats were a plus since sitting on the ground is not my idea of fun.

bradk
03-22-2005, 07:08 AM
it would help if you actually posted dates, but here's my quickie response.

rain is good. rain is very good. for starters, it keeps the locals away who make up for most of the crowds. most things run (fantasmic will not run in rain however - it's the first to go, followed very closely by the mad tea party and alice).

it may also keep tourists away who are staying longer than a few days. embrace the rain. seriously.

as far as fantasmic goes, on a busy day, people stake out spots up to 4 hours or so before the 9:00 show. that's just no fun. if you go to the 10:30 showing, assuming there is one, it's much easier to get a better spot because most people who go to the 9:00 show won't be there for the 10:30, so you can just grab a good spot even 30-40 minutes out.

if you really want to make it special, however, if you can afford it, i'd suggest calling and reserving for the riverside seating dessert buffet (i'm assuming balcony is sold out) for the performance. you'll be very close to it all and enjoy some nice desserts.

2munchkins
03-22-2005, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the info. We are actually going tomorrow thru Friday or Sat. That's a good idea about a cushion. I think I will go try and find one of those stadium things. Yeah..I'm trying to embrace the rain...It's just that we have an 11 month old and I'm thinking it's going to be a little hard but I do have one of those stroller cover things and I'm going to get my 6 year old a rain jacket today...But if youre right and the crowds do clear out that would be cool. I hadn't thought about them canceling Fastasmic due to the rain. Oh I hope we get to see it one day. Right now it looks like no rain on Friday.

Thanks for your help!

bradk
03-22-2005, 07:27 AM
just be wary that weather is especially hard to predict more than 3 days out (let alone the same day). what would worry me about friday is they're predicting rain thursday night as well. if the system holds over, it might carry into friday. probably not likely, but if you're going to be staying late enough on friday to see fantasmic, i'd advise you to stay through saturday as well just to maximize your chances. plus it's another day at disneyland.

you might want to read this article for tips with fantasmic: http://www.intercotwest.com/resortGuide/showsFantasmic.asp

MsYumiBr
03-22-2005, 08:08 AM
Just for the record, Fantasmic! would cancel if it rained during showtime. I was there during the last big 3 day rainstorm (thunder, lightning, bleh) and Saturday night it was on twice because we had a break in the weather. No fireworks though.