PDA

View Full Version : Harvest Buffet

Bigiver
03-22-2005, 03:54 AM
I see that there is a Harvest Buffet just down the road from our hotel on Katella. Can anyone tell me anything about it? I see they are owned by the same company as the Old country Buffets in Minnesota that we are familiar with, and are quite popular. Good place to eat? Yeah or Neah? Any favorites for bbq or seafood?
Thanks for your time, Bigiver

sdfilmcritic
03-22-2005, 04:02 AM
I think they also own Hometown Buffet, which is a all-you-can-eat-cafeteria-food joint. I don't know about Harvest Buffet, but if it's anything like Hometown than it would be worth it's monetary value if the memebers of your party tend to eat more than one plate of food, salad, a dessert, plus multiple refills of the soft drinks.

03-22-2005, 06:04 AM
According to a quick look-see on the web, the Harvest Buffet chain is a privately-owned company based in Seattle.

sdfilmcritic
03-22-2005, 06:21 AM
According to a quick look-see on the web, the Harvest Buffet chain is a privately-owned company based in Seattle.And that means there is no connection to the other restaurants mentioned?

Bigiver
03-22-2005, 06:47 AM
Sorry,
I thought my web search had said that Harvest Buffets, Hometown Buffets, Country Buffets, Old Country Buffets and Tahoe Joe's Steakhouse's were all owned buy Buffets, Inc. 1460 Buffet Way in Egan, MN. Maybe I got bad data. Thanks, Bigiver

JeffG
03-22-2005, 07:08 AM
I thought my web search had said that Harvest Buffets, Hometown Buffets, Country Buffets, Old Country Buffets and Tahoe Joe's Steakhouse's were all owned buy Buffets, Inc. 1460 Buffet Way in Egan, MN. Maybe I got bad data.

"Harvest Buffets" is not one of their companies, according to their website. There is a Hometown Buffet on the corner of Katella and Euclid, though, which is about 2 miles west of Disneyland. Did you possibly get the name confused?

-Jeff

bradk
03-22-2005, 07:17 AM
it does appear to be hometown buffet. as far as buffets, inc. goes, if you go to their restaurant locator for OC:

http://www.buffet.com/html/us/ca/orange_county.shtml

you'll see they're all hometown buffets. #2 is the one directly in anaheim on katella.

i couldn't locate a 'harvest buffet' in anaheim or its surrounding areas (which of course isn't saying much). the closest thing i've found was a country harvest buffet in westminster.

stan4d_steph
03-22-2005, 07:39 AM
My general view of buffets: they suck. There are some Disney buffets that are the exception to this rule (Storytellers at GCH, Boma at AKL).

IMO, large quantities does not equal good. Buffets are the enemy of anyone watching their diet, be it for calories, fat or sodium. I will admit that they are tempting though. Mac and cheese and fried chicken are usually staples at buffets, and I love both.

Aussie MouseFan
03-22-2005, 08:57 PM
oh I love this place...

The food is great, fresh and they are always rotating the menu items each day.

Being a fussy eater (not knowing what I feel like at any given moment) this Buffet is one of the best I have found in the area...

Apart from Sizzler, the other Buffet type joints all seem pretty scary to me IMO

(btw, their ribs are to die for... mmmmmmmm)

MrsG
03-23-2005, 09:25 AM
My general view of buffets: they suck.IMO, large quantities does not equal good.
Guess you haven't been to some of the the buffets in Vegas. They have some of the best buffets - fresh food - veggies, fruit, seafood, etc. - variety - Chinese, Mexican, Thai, Japanese, etc. Not glop (mac and cheese, can green beans...)

Aussie MouseFan
03-23-2005, 10:39 PM
oh dont start me on Vegas buffets... yummo (drool)

being that I visit sin city at least once every 6-9 months I have tried most of the reputable buffets, Mandalay Bay is one of my fav's followed by the Venetian

sdfilmcritic
03-23-2005, 11:15 PM
Now my mouth is really watering for a Vegas Buffet! Mmmm.

cstephens
03-24-2005, 10:07 AM
being that I visit sin city at least once every 6-9 months I have tried most of the reputable buffets, Mandalay Bay is one of my fav's followed by the Venetian

Really? I tried the Mandalay Bay one last August and thought it was ok but didn't come close to comparing to the one at Bellagio. Haven't tried the Venetian yet.

dlandnut
03-24-2005, 10:52 AM
The seafood buffet at the Rio, hands down (not the "around the world" buffet also offered at the Rio). All you can eat crab and lobster, among other things (even including prime rib). Yum! :) The Storytellers Buffet was also good, a little pricey, but good. :)

cstephens
03-24-2005, 11:22 AM
The seafood buffet at the Rio, hands down (not the "around the world" buffet also offered at the Rio). All you can eat crab and lobster, among other things (even including prime rib). Yum! :)

Here's my serious disagreement. My husband and I love seafood, so we tried the seafood buffet at the Rio a couple years ago (haven't been to the main, world buffet there). We thought it was awful. Most of the seafood was poor quality, and the only thing we thought was ok was the peel-and-eat shrimp, but you could tell that it was frozen and then poorly thawed shrimp. Never going back and have also warned away friends who like seafood as well.