PDA

View Full Version : DLR Questions- Part 2

mraw
03-21-2005, 08:03 PM
I want to thank everyone for all your help with my last thread. More questions have come up for me. I am interested in a behind the scenes tour of Disneyland.

How can I set that up, and how much does it cost? Do you have to pay for park admission for the tour? I'm trying to figure out if I need to schedule the tour for the day I visit Disneyland, or if I can do it the day after.

How far away is Glendale from Disneyland, and what's the best way to get there? My friend told me that if I can make it out to Glendale he will give me a tour of the WDI facilities.

What are your tips for Fantasmic!? I remember when the show first premiered, they had an Ursula barge that came out (I only saw pictures). I haven't heard about it in a while. Is it still functional? I know that at the Disney/MGM Studios they encourage you to get there an hour ahead of time, but I don't particularly care for MGM's Fantasmic!, so I was wondering howsoon in advance should I get there before the show starts.

If push comes to shove, I know that I will want to experience the attractions that WDW doesn't have at all (Matterhorn, Roger Rabbit's CarToon Spin, Indy)- are there any attractions that share names with other WDW attractions that I should try due to drastic differences?

Thanks, and I'm sure I'll have more. Oh! Are Disneyland's attractions "Big Boned Friendly"? I know that WDW is extremly BBF, but some of those Disneyland seats looks small (I wouldn't be surprised if many people were turned away from Space Mountain)

Thanks!

HorizonsA
03-21-2005, 08:21 PM
I want to thank everyone for all your help with my last thread. More questions have come up for me. I am interested in a behind the scenes tour of Disneyland.

How can I set that up, and how much does it cost? Do you have to pay for park admission for the tour? I'm trying to figure out if I need to schedule the tour for the day I visit Disneyland, or if I can do it the day after.

How far away is Glendale from Disneyland, and what's the best way to get there? My friend told me that if I can make it out to Glendale he will give me a tour of the WDI facilities.

What are your tips for Fantasmic!? I remember when the show first premiered, they had an Ursula barge that came out (I only saw pictures). I haven't heard about it in a while. Is it still functional? I know that at the Disney/MGM Studios they encourage you to get there an hour ahead of time, but I don't particularly care for MGM's Fantasmic!, so I was wondering howsoon in advance should I get there before the show starts.

If push comes to shove, I know that I will want to experience the attractions that WDW doesn't have at all (Matterhorn, Roger Rabbit's CarToon Spin, Indy)- are there any attractions that share names with other WDW attractions that I should try due to drastic differences?

Thanks, and I'm sure I'll have more. Oh! Are Disneyland's attractions "Big Boned Friendly"? I know that WDW is extremly BBF, but some of those Disneyland seats looks small (I wouldn't be surprised if many people were turned away from Space Mountain)

Thanks!

I'm not sure about the first one.

I strongly recommend that you arrive at least 2 hours prior, especially when if you're going to see the first showing. If you're going to see the second showing, then arrive 45 minutes to an hour before the show starts, this is all if you wnat to have a good seat. The Ursula float no longer flats by, which I don't understand why.

You simply must Matterhorn, it is awesome. Plus there are sevreal Fantasyland rides that WDW does not have, including Alice in Wonderland, Storybookland Canal Boats, and Pinocchio's Daring Journey.

I'm sure that most of the rides are BBF. I know Star Tours isn't. Basically if you can't get the seatbelt to buckle, you can't ride.

cstephens
03-21-2005, 09:39 PM
I am interested in a behind the scenes tour of Disneyland. How can I set that up, and how much does it cost? Do you have to pay for park admission for the tour? I'm trying to figure out if I need to schedule the tour for the day I visit Disneyland, or if I can do it the day after.

Disneyland doesn't offer behind the scenes tours as I understand WDW does. Here is a list of tours that are offered at Disneyland (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/parks/listing?name=DisneylandParkToursListingPage). If you click on each link, it will provide more information about each tour, including prices. The price of the tour does not include admission to Disneyland, so you will have to obtain other admission media. I believe tours can be scheduled 30 days or so in advance - I forget the actual window. You can call the listed number to ask about availability of any particular tour on any particular day.

The Ursula float is no longer in operation. I think Disneyland's Fantasmic is far superior to MGM's, so I think you have something definitely to look forward to. The best bet for getting good seats (in case you don't know, at Disneyland, Fantasmic is held on the Rivers of America, and people either sit or stand [depending on where they are] to watch the show - it's not in a stadium like at MGM) is to go to the second show of the night. Get there about 5 or 10 minutes before the prior show ends (which means you'll end up seeing the very end of the show, if you don't mind that sort of thing). When the show is over and people leave, you basically have first shot at the standing space/seats you want, with a more minimal wait than if you try to get good space/seats for the first show.

The following is all imo. High on my list is It's a Small World. DL's attraction is so much more than WDW's. Splash Mountain at WDW is actually better than at DL, but it's still fun. Pirates and Haunted Mansion aren't drastically different, but there are differences that you might enjoy. If you're going to be at DL after July 15, definitely ride Space Mountain. DL's is far superior to WDW's. DL's Buzz is different than WDW's, so I'd say go on that. We didn't go to the Toon Fair (I forget what it's actually called) in WDW, so I don't know exactly what it's like, but definitely make a visit to Toontown at DL.

Have a great time!

bradk
03-21-2005, 11:25 PM
just some additional notes.

as mentioned, do attend the 10:30 fantasmic if there is one. you can stake out a good seat 30-40 mins before the show (after everyone's cleared out from the 9:00 show). for the 9:00 show, on a busy day, some people hold their spots for up to 4 hours. i periodically post a link to a page on intercot west which lays out what a lot of people consider one of the better views which is at the edge of ROA where the light riggings for the show are.

as far as ride differences go, DL also has Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, which WDW no longer has and is quite different than the one they did have if i'm not mistaken. Also, DL's Pirates of the Caribbean is about twice as long. I would advise picking up a copy of the Unofficial Guide which has a table comparing most of the rides between the two parks.

mraw
03-22-2005, 11:29 AM
just some additional notes.

as mentioned, do attend the 10:30 fantasmic if there is one. you can stake out a good seat 30-40 mins before the show (after everyone's cleared out from the 9:00 show). for the 9:00 show, on a busy day, some people hold their spots for up to 4 hours. i periodically post a link to a page on intercot west which lays out what a lot of people consider one of the better views which is at the edge of ROA where the light riggings for the show are.

as far as ride differences go, DL also has Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, which WDW no longer has and is quite different than the one they did have if i'm not mistaken. Also, DL's Pirates of the Caribbean is about twice as long. I would advise picking up a copy of the Unofficial Guide which has a table comparing most of the rides between the two parks.

I will be going to Disneyland on April 5th, and according to the calendar the park will close at 8pm. Will there be any shows on a night that closes that early? I'm more into attractions than shows, so I will not stakeout a seat so far in advance to the beginning of the show when I've never been to DL before and have so much to see. I really think that Fantasmic! should be for people who've been there before, or those who really like shows. I can always see it on video. I can't ride the Haunted Mansion of the Indy Adventure on video...
Thanks for your help.

cstephens
03-22-2005, 11:49 AM
I really think that Fantasmic! should be for people who've been there before, or those who really like shows. I can always see it on video. I can't ride the Haunted Mansion of the Indy Adventure on video...
Thanks for your help.

I don't know that they'll be showing Fantasmic that night, but seeing Fantasmic on video to me would be about the equivalent of watching a video of a ride through Mansion or Indy.

oregontraveler
03-22-2005, 12:10 PM
Since April 5 is a Tuesday and the park closes at 8pm, I doubt that F! will be showing. The DCA electrical parade might though, that's worth checking out.

Glendale is about 35 miles north of Anaheim.

bradk
03-22-2005, 12:16 PM
I will be going to Disneyland on April 5th, and according to the calendar the park will close at 8pm. Will there be any shows on a night that closes that early? I'm more into attractions than shows, so I will not stakeout a seat so far in advance to the beginning of the show when I've never been to DL before and have so much to see. I really think that Fantasmic! should be for people who've been there before, or those who really like shows. I can always see it on video. I can't ride the Haunted Mansion of the Indy Adventure on video...
Thanks for your help.

just april 5th? then unfortunately the fantasmic point is moot. for the record, even though you don't care for the MGM version, people eagerly recommend visiting DL just for fantasmic. rather than the good fortune of being able to build it all into an ampitheatre, disneyland was blessed by having to build it into the park itself. it's just an experience all its own.

if you check the calendar on disneyland.com or go here for april 5:

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/calendar/daily/daily?name=CalendarDailyPage&date=20050405&span=1&parkDCA=true&parkDLP=true&parkDTD=true

you'll see fantasmic is not listed (normally it would be if it were being performed).

now back to the other matter at hand...

there are topics upon topics on here comparing the rides betwen the parks. i can probably advise you easily to avoid TOT at dca if you've been on the MGM one. i would advise picking up the unofficial guide though for that table. it does give HM a slight edge in orlando, but i believe that was before the upgrades done at anaheim.

you might also want to invest in a 3 month subscription to ridemax (http://www.ridemax.com, $11.95) to help plot out a ride itinerary. particularly if you're only there for one day.

DangerMouse
03-22-2005, 12:48 PM
i periodically post a link to a page on intercot west which lays out what a lot of people consider one of the better views which is at the edge of ROA where the light riggings for the show are.

Hey Brad, would you mind posting that link again for me? Is there a map? I need to print it out for our trip next month. THANX! :D

bradk
03-22-2005, 01:16 PM
http://www.intercotwest.com/resortGuide/showsFantasmic.asp

mraw
03-22-2005, 01:28 PM
I just can't imagine waiting 2 hours for any show to start- especially when you're paying over $50 to wait. I am definitely going to try RideMax.

cstephens
03-22-2005, 04:57 PM
I just can't imagine waiting 2 hours for any show to start- especially when you're paying over $50 to wait. I am definitely going to try RideMax.

Well, as has been said, you wouldn't need to wait 2 hours for Fantasmic, but since it's not showing the day you're there, it's not even an option.