PDA

View Full Version : Schweitzer Falls Collapses

TOTFan
03-20-2005, 06:46 PM
Laughing Place (http://mb.laughingplace.com/default.asp?WCI=MsgBoard&WCE=T-59646-P-1&Refresh=0320194338)

Micechat (http://www.micechat.com/showthread.php?t=1897)

Any one have anything on this?

bradk
03-20-2005, 06:50 PM
i think you mean Schweitzer Fell.

Captain Josh
03-20-2005, 06:50 PM
well, at least it happened during refurb...if it wasn't supposed to, anyways.

Disney Vault
03-20-2005, 08:47 PM
They said it will be fixed in time for the 50th though.

BJW
03-20-2005, 09:29 PM
Was it rot?

JSKoehler
03-21-2005, 02:54 AM
Was it rot?

laughingplace thread says termites . . . sounds like tommy rot to me . . . it was probably scehduled as part of the rehab . . .

RStar
03-21-2005, 08:40 AM
From what I could tell it was made of plywood & chicken wire covered with cement. It was bound to need replacing at some point!

olegc
03-21-2005, 10:01 AM
OK - so this attraction has not received hardly any refurb attention (major) for as long as I can remember (at least 20 years not counting the queue) and now when the falls collapse everyone is in a panic (well, at least at the other sites). What - water running across materials does not wear it down? Why is this even a story? it's old, it's totally wet, and probably collaped when things were being checked out.

Puleese! if it happened while the ride was open then it's a story - otherwise, how do we know if it wasn't planned to be refurbed... I'm just glad it was discovered during the refurb, not like Space Mountain's surprise cracks...

Opus1guy
03-21-2005, 10:17 AM
So would that be the bottom side of water now?

:)

sdfilmcritic
03-21-2005, 10:36 AM
I'm just glad the thing didn't fall down when a boat full of people was going underneath it. Now that would be a reason to panic.

TOTFan
03-21-2005, 12:20 PM
OK - so this attraction has not received hardly any refurb attention (major) for as long as I can remember (at least 20 years not counting the queue) and now when the falls collapse everyone is in a panic (well, at least at the other sites). What - water running across materials does not wear it down? Why is this even a story? it's old, it's totally wet, and probably collaped when things were being checked out.

Puleese! if it happened while the ride was open then it's a story - otherwise, how do we know if it wasn't planned to be refurbed... I'm just glad it was discovered during the refurb, not like Space Mountain's surprise cracks...
I don't think any one is freakin out, except for you in your responce.

olegc
03-21-2005, 12:28 PM
I don't think any one is freakin out, except for you in your responce.

hmm - I don't think you'll find the words freaking out in my reply, as well as my reference to the other sites should be noted with quotes from there like "Wow - this is big news" and the total number of posts - I just felt that it gave the story more significance than it deserved...

besides - if you knew me and you don't - it takes a lot more than posting on websites to freak me out.

TOTFan
03-21-2005, 01:00 PM
hmm - I don't think you'll find the words freaking out in my reply, as well as my reference to the other sites should be noted with quotes from there like "Wow - this is big news" and the total number of posts - I just felt that it gave the story more significance than it deserved...

besides - if you knew me and you don't - it takes a lot more than posting on websites to freak me out.
Then I guess you're the only one being thrown into a panic.

03-21-2005, 01:30 PM
No one's freaking out or in a panic.

Let's get back to the topic at hand. Does anyone have further info about the collapse of the Schweitzer Falls in the Jungle Boat Cruise?

CrystalSkull
03-21-2005, 02:03 PM
Scheweitzer Falls was badly infested with termites, but it was not in the original plan to tear it down. It happened when the workers were drilling through it to put up scaffolding.

Jeremiah
03-21-2005, 02:33 PM
OK - so this attraction has not received hardly any refurb attention (major) for as long as I can remember (at least 20 years not counting the queue) and now when the falls collapse everyone is in a panic (well, at least at the other sites).

I would guess it was planned because the falls were not looking that good just before it closed. As far as a major attuntion....ummm about 10 years ago as they were building Indy. Redid the queue and had to remove part of the river along with being down for like 9 months, I would call that major.

J

olegc
03-21-2005, 03:33 PM
I would guess it was planned because the falls were not looking that good just before it closed. As far as a major attuntion....ummm about 10 years ago as they were building Indy. Redid the queue and had to remove part of the river along with being down for like 9 months, I would call that major.

J
I only partially agree about being a major refurb - since it only affected the queue and the initial part of the river - but the majority of the Jungle Cruise attraction did not get any overhauls.

I think we're all glad to see that as things "shift" in projects that the Imagineers can adjust without a lot of forms or red tape.. Let's hope the Falls last as long the second time.

marktips
03-21-2005, 03:45 PM
I hope it gets rebuilt - it's home to my all-time favorite Jungle Cruise joke:

"We're approaching scenic Schweitzer Falls, named after the famous explorer who first discovered them - Dr Albert Falls."

cstephens
03-21-2005, 03:47 PM
Actually, I think the falls are better as a setup to the "backside of water" and "Fantasmic light" jokes.

marktips
03-21-2005, 03:53 PM
Backside of water comes later over WDW - first it's the Albert Falls, then you attempt to lean to avoid getting wet from the splashes, and of course some people didn't "lean properly" (I find this statement humorous) and get a little wet, you come back around to see the backside of water :)

So, the falls are critical to proper Cruise enjoyment ;)

tod
03-21-2005, 03:59 PM
I hope it gets rebuilt - it's home to my all-time favorite Jungle Cruise joke:

"We're approaching scenic Schweitzer Falls, named after the famous explorer who first discovered them - Dr Albert Falls."

I remember when the park opened, and Schweitzer was a man of uncontestable greatness living among us, doing his good work in Africa, and "Schweitzer Falls" was a natural name for the place in the river where we went into the Nile.

Eventually, some smart-aleck Jungle Cruise pilot switched it around and said that the falls were named for the "great humanitarian, Dr. Albert... Falls," and that was funny too, the classic trading-places gag.

Now, the joke is what's remembered...

--t

Opus1guy
03-21-2005, 04:17 PM
You mean they just made up Dr. Albert Falls???

Boy, am I embarrassed.

;)