PDA

View Full Version : Tinkerbell's Flight

notlemc
03-20-2005, 02:19 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew about tinkerbell's new flight. I know she leaves the matterhorn at a new place (on the side rather than the top) and she is supposed to fly around the castle but how is this done? In a recent thread about the fireworks it tells her flight pattern but does not answer how this is done. Currently there are 5, or so, wires coming out of the side of the matterhorn. But how do the five wires play into Tinkerbell flying around the castle? If anyone has answers please let me know.

bradk
03-20-2005, 02:28 PM
i don't know the mechanics having not seen the new system in place, but tinkerbell will end up pretty much spiraling over the castle, hovering over it and then 'annointing' it with her wand a la those wonderful world of disney intros. it's also my understanding she will remain there until the end of the fireworks at which point she will annoint the castle once again.

of course until this happens, it's just hearsay and may be my complete misunderstanding of it all.

notlemc
03-20-2005, 03:14 PM
I understand what she is supposed to do but perhaps I was not being clear. I was looking for an answer on how she will spiral around the castle yet still be connected to a straight line of wire from the matterhorn. Maybe there is no answer yet, but if anyone as any ideas on how this effect is created, please post it here. If no one knows, maybe we'll just have to wait unti May 5th.

Disney Vault
03-20-2005, 03:17 PM
There is a system above here which will move her back on forth instead of just one swoop down. And she will be on seperate wires so she will be able to up and down. In one part of the show she will stop above the castle and enchant it. This will cause a bright light and she will then disapeer until later in the show when she comes back later in the show.

bradk
03-20-2005, 03:33 PM
i don't think there's a straight line. it's not a simple cable glide scenario. you've seen those flying cameras over football fields nowadays?

AVP
03-20-2005, 06:14 PM
According to a presentation I attended last week, Tink is going to start at the Matterhorn, where she'll drop 50'/second and level off into a glide to the Castle. She'll pass back and forth a few times and then "dink" the Castle with her wand before Walt's narration. They will fire multi-colored shells behind her as she flies, to recreate the "Wonderful World of Color" introduction.

She also returns at the end of the show to "dink" the Castle again. After one of the passes she "disappears," but my notes aren't clear as to which one. (Hey, you try transcribing a Steven Davidson presentation!)

Apparently the flight system is currently being used in a Vegas show.

AVP

MouseSlave
03-20-2005, 06:15 PM
i don't think there's a straight line. it's not a simple cable glide scenario. you've seen those flying cameras over football fields nowadays?

From what I have heard from the pyro(technics) crew, the flight system works exactly the same way as the aerial cameras they use at football games.

notlemc
03-20-2005, 09:36 PM
thanks for your help in releaving me of the stress of trying to figure tinkerbell's flight. Your answers help a lot, but there is still some uncertainty. Maybe its just becasue I'm in awe that they can pull this type of stuff off. Now, well just have to wait and see what the final product is. Thanks for your help.

Wendi
03-20-2005, 09:36 PM
thanks for your help in releaving me of the stress of trying to figure tinkerbell's flight. Your answers help a lot, but there is still some uncertainty. Maybe its just becasue I'm in awe that they can pull this type of stuff off. Now, well just have to wait and see what the final product is. Thanks for your help.

Wow, you are actually stressed over this??? :crying:

notlemc
03-21-2005, 05:49 AM
maybe stressed isn't the right word. It just one of those things that pops into my head at random times that I've tried to figure out but have not come up with an answer to it. So it's not like I'm panicing over not figuring it out but just it eases my mind to get rid of the uncertainty of not knowning how this effect will work.

MyBeast
03-21-2005, 11:35 AM
maybe stressed isn't the right word. It just one of those things that pops into my head at random times that I've tried to figure out but have not come up with an answer to it. So it's not like I'm panicing over not figuring it out but just it eases my mind to get rid of the uncertainty of not knowning how this effect will work.

Don't worry about it... it's Disney magic... she's not gonna crash and fall on someone.

sdfilmcritic
03-25-2005, 01:20 AM
Don't worry about it... it's Disney magic... she's not gonna crash and fall on someone.Wanna bet? :~D {stands on top of the Matterhorn with a pair of scissors}