PDA

View Full Version : Booking a Vacation: Online vs. Telephone

arpinl
03-20-2005, 02:13 PM
Hi all,

I'll be booking a vacation to DLR in the near future, and I'm wondering what's the best method to use. When I was going to reserve a room at WDW last December, I was quoted a lower rate over the phone than what I found online. Personally, I like doing things online so I can see and read exactly what I'm getting. But is there a difference in cost? I'm still trying to sort out what discounts may be available through AAA and other sources, so finding this out will just be one more piece of the puzzle...

bradk
03-20-2005, 02:24 PM
very often the rates on the internet are lower than phone, particularly for hotels (and are even called internet rates). it's just more cost effective for companies to get themselves booked online rather than have people on the phones. if you do call, however, usually the reservations person will match the internet rate if you make mention of it.

personally, i prefer doing things online because i always have something to refer to. when doing something over the phone, it just feels less secure to me because you're relying on a person on the other side to make sure the records are kept properly. this way i never have to worry if the booking is there, what exactly i'm getting and if i even made them for the right dates.

MsYumiBr
03-20-2005, 02:33 PM
The only thing with booking vacation packages through AAA is you are locked in on dates and can't change. WDTC kind of does the same thing but will change dates but you lose $200 (or something like that). When you book through the hotel yourself you can use AAA discount and cancel, no problem. When you book online, you can always get that discount when you check in. You can also get the lithograph when you book online (upon availability). WDTC and AAA gives you lanyards, pins and luggage tags. (Big deal.) But, they also give you Mickey's Toontown Morning Madness. You get the "enhanced fastpass" with AAA vacation packages. That's your prize for locking in the date. If you get travel insurance, if there's a family emergency or someone gets sick, you can submit a claim to get your money back for the package, but that's all up to the insurance adjuster. It really depends on what you want. For a standard visit I always do things myself. I don't really see a difference between online and hotel pricewise. The benefit of calling the hotel is you get to talk to a real person who can put your requests for specific things like what view, etc. No guarantees of course; their standard policy.