PDA

View Full Version : Press photos

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
03-20-2005, 12:57 PM
While we were in line to meet Goofy, in ToonTown, a man came up to me with a large camera, a Disney badge and a form that he asked me to fill out, voluntarily of course. He explained that, this was the 15th so it was the day the gold ears had came out, his job that day was to photograph kids wearing the gold ears. He had already talked with the CM with Goofy and Goofy and told them we would need some extra time with Goofy so he could get some great candid shots. My boys were dressed in their Mickey overalls, (see my pictures thread) and had on their gold ears. He took at least 25-50 shots of them interacting with Goofy, constant flashes, we have it all on video. I signed the release which basically gave Disney permission to use my kids photos for anything they would like but that I would not request any compensation for the use of their photos. It wasn't all in those exact words, but that is the basic meaning. I asked the man if they would at least notify me if they use the photos, since there was no place on the form for my address, other than city and state and he said no. I didn't want any monetary compensation, but it would be nice to know, ahead of time, if Disney will be using the photos in any ad campaigns, I didn't think it was really fair.

SCUBAbe
03-20-2005, 12:59 PM
I would have said no....

Disney Vault
03-20-2005, 01:06 PM
I would have said no....
Why's that?

SCUBAbe
03-20-2005, 01:13 PM
Why's that?

if the OP thought it was unfair I would have said no...regardless, I would not allow my childs image to be used to generate income for a corporation if she was not be compensated for it.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
03-20-2005, 01:16 PM
As I said I didn't think it was fair that I wasn't getting compensated, I said I didn't think it was fair that they would not notify me before they use it, only so I could be on the lookout for it. But that is the policy.

SCUBAbe
03-20-2005, 01:21 PM
As I said I didn't think it was fair that I wasn't getting compensated, I said I didn't think it was fair that they would not notify me before they use it, only so I could be on the lookout for it. But that is the policy.

I realize what you found to be fair and unfair. If any part of it was unfair I would have said no. If I ahd agreed and signed the forms I would not complain about it later or discuss in public that I said yes, but found it to be unfair.

My comment on compensation had nothing to do with what you wrote it was my reason I would say no...

Crazy4DL
03-20-2005, 01:43 PM
Did you realize at the time you were signing the premission papers that they would not notify you when/if they used the photos? (I say good chance they will use them - they are so adorable in those overalls);)

03-20-2005, 01:45 PM
Very cool, MommyTo2Boys! If you see their photo in an ad, let us know?

MouseSlave
03-20-2005, 06:19 PM
They probably said they wouldn't notify you because they may not know which photos they want to use right away and by the time they put all the ad campaigns together they have forgotten which photos go with which compliance forms. It's a lot of trouble for them to go to I'm sure. The reason you sign the papers before the photos are taken, is so that they don't have to worry about which photos they can use in the end.

Marox3
03-20-2005, 06:41 PM
While we were in line to meet Goofy, in ToonTown, a man came up to me with a large camera, a Disney badge and a form that he asked me to fill out, voluntarily of course. He explained that, this was the 15th so it was the day the gold ears had came out, his job that day was to photograph kids wearing the gold ears. He had already talked with the CM with Goofy and Goofy and told them we would need some extra time with Goofy so he could get some great candid shots. My boys were dressed in their Mickey overalls, (see my pictures thread) and had on their gold ears. He took at least 25-50 shots of them interacting with Goofy, constant flashes, we have it all on video. I signed the release which basically gave Disney permission to use my kids photos for anything they would like but that I would not request any compensation for the use of their photos. It wasn't all in those exact words, but that is the basic meaning. I asked the man if they would at least notify me if they use the photos, since there was no place on the form for my address, other than city and state and he said no. I didn't want any monetary compensation, but it would be nice to know, ahead of time, if Disney will be using the photos in any ad campaigns, I didn't think it was really fair.

Good for you and your boys! What a nice surprise you and your family!

As for compensation, I agree with you. If my son had an opportunity to be selected, I wouldn't hesitate. What exciting memories your family will cherish. We seem to be in a society where decisions are made based on monetary gains or losses. Life experiences are missed over the "what's in it for me". Doing something for nothing is not wrong, and sure Disney could afford to throw a few bucks your way. So what. Actually, I see it that your family got to enjoy extra, special time with Goofy for a few pictures.

Another thought . . . since I submitted pictures for the mural, should I be entitled to compensation, as they are going to be displayed around the park and promoting the 50th?

Wendi
03-20-2005, 07:14 PM
Wow, that is soooo cool! I hope to see them in print someday!!!

SCUBAbe
03-20-2005, 07:15 PM
Another thought . . . since I submitted pictures for the mural, should I be entitled to compensation, as they are going to be displayed around the park and promoting the 50th?

Thats your decision. If you feel you should have been compensated then you should not have submitted pictures. I chose not to submit pictures, but if I had I realized I would not be compensated for them. :)

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
03-21-2005, 08:09 AM
It was after I had filled out the form that I asked if they would notify me.
I am not going to deny my kids a possibility of a wonderful memory to be in print, or something for Disney, just because Disney won't contact me and tell me they are using the photo. I see it is a great opportunity and with all the people I "know", meaning Padders, I am sure if it is used I will find out about it.
I was simply sharing the story because I thought it was an honor to be selected.

"If I ahd agreed and signed the forms I would not complain about it later or discuss in public that I said yes, but found it to be unfair."

I don't think I was complaining, I was just stating that they were not going to notify me and I was bummed about it, and I wish there was a way for them to notify me. As I said, I sure wouldn't deny my kids, and myself, the possibility of being in print for Disney over a simple, hey your kids are going to be in this ad. Guess we all have different opinions.

SO Mousepadders, watch for my kids in Disney ads and tell me if you see them. LOL

Crazy4DL
03-21-2005, 08:32 AM
I don't think I was complaining, I was just stating that they were not going to notify me and I was bummed about it, and I wish there was a way for them to notify me. As I said, I sure wouldn't deny my kids, and myself, the possibility of being in print for Disney over a simple, hey your kids are going to be in this ad. Guess we all have different opinions.

SO Mousepadders, watch for my kids in Disney ads and tell me if you see them. LOL

I agree - what fun for the kids and you and your family!! :) I would have been "bummed" a bit too that they couldn't notify me but certainly not enough to say no. :D The memories will be priceless and if the pictures are published even more fun!

Opus1guy
03-21-2005, 10:33 AM
Sounds to me like a standard "Public" Model Release.

As has already been said, they likely don't have the time or staff to handle addresses and handling photo requests/notifications for the thousands of shots they take. Those forms are likely just dumped in a big box by date, and are only pulled out if someone sues.

You can always "Just Say No."

CrazyTrain
03-21-2005, 10:35 AM
That's really cool!
I'll keep my eyes peeled! :)

cstephens
03-21-2005, 10:41 AM
I didn't think it was really fair.

Sure it's fair. You had the option to say no, which you could have if you didn't like the terms. They probably don't need to compensate people for this sort of thing because lots of people are going to say yes just for the opportunity. And as far as letting you know, yep, I would figure they're getting loads of these pictures, so it would be a lot to track. You agreed to let them take the picture on the chance that they'll use it and you'll see it. Seems fair to me.

Marox3
03-21-2005, 05:27 PM
Absolutely! Are the boys wearing the same overalls in your picture threads?

sierranevada
03-21-2005, 05:55 PM
Gotta say I see why they choose your kids - they are adorable!! Will let you know if I see their pictures!

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
03-21-2005, 09:36 PM
Sure it's fair. You had the option to say no, which you could have if you didn't like the terms. They probably don't need to compensate people for this sort of thing because lots of people are going to say yes just for the opportunity. And as far as letting you know, yep, I would figure they're getting loads of these pictures, so it would be a lot to track. You agreed to let them take the picture on the chance that they'll use it and you'll see it. Seems fair to me.

I DIDN'T COMPLAIN ABOUT NOT BEING COMPENSATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! READ MY POST!!

Ok I have to keep repeating myself for some reason. I said I didn't think it was fair that I wasn't going to be told ahead of time that there pics were not going to be in print, IF they are. But just because I don't think it is fair doesn't mean, ONCE AGAIN, that I would say no. Lots of things in life aren't fair. But IMHO it would be silly to deny my kids the opportunity that they had because of a stupid notification that the photo was or wasn't going to be used. Guess I shouldn't have said it isn't fair, maybe I should have just said I was disappointed. Wouldn't matter, the thread would have been dissected anyway!!!

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
03-21-2005, 09:37 PM
Absolutely! Are the boys wearing the same overalls in your picture threads?

Yes, the Mickey ones.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
03-21-2005, 09:38 PM
Gotta say I see why they choose your kids - they are adorable!! Will let you know if I see their pictures!

THANKS!

cstephens
03-21-2005, 09:47 PM
I DIDN'T COMPLAIN ABOUT NOT BEING COMPENSATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! READ MY POST!!

Ok I have to keep repeating myself for some reason. I said I didn't think it was fair that I wasn't going to be told ahead of time that there pics were not going to be in print, IF they are. But just because I don't think it is fair doesn't mean, ONCE AGAIN, that I would say no. Lots of things in life aren't fair. But IMHO it would be silly to deny my kids the opportunity that they had because of a stupid notification that the photo was or wasn't going to be used. Guess I shouldn't have said it isn't fair, maybe I should have just said I was disappointed. Wouldn't matter, the thread would have been dissected anyway!!!

I did read your entire post. I just addressed both issues, about compensation and notice. And I just disagree with your assessment that it wasn't fair that you wouldn't be notified. No need to scream.

tjaa
03-21-2005, 09:50 PM

You've done good !!! I would have done the same, photo the kids in fun, Disney may not have a release date or even use the photos. If they do :) the kids/you will have memories for ever (and possible future careers, LOL)

mad4mky
03-22-2005, 07:17 AM
:D I would have said "YES!!" too.

Just think, your sweet, cute little boys might be in my Sunday paper this Sunday!! :D

Like you, I wouldn't have worried about the money...and just like you...I would want to know ahead of time when/where the pictures would be printed so I COULD BUY MYSELF...or get myself A COPY!!!!

I am sure you would like one as well, right??

If I see your boy's pictures in any of the local San Francisco papers/mags that I get, I will be sure to PM you to let you know, and I'll save the pictures for you. Good thing you have been posting pictures of your kids...now I know what they look like! :D

I had a similar experience with Lindsay when she was a baby. AND...they DID put her pictures up all over at JCPenney photo stuidos. I was compesated about $10. I didn't care what the compensation was. I was just sooooo proud to see my beautiful baby's pictures up everywhere! :D

My middle daughter, Kendall...seems to get her pictures up everywhere. She is on the San Carlos, CA Recreation Dept catalog cover (and inside as well)....she is all over the department I work in of my company's web site and brochures. She is in a huge First 5 California Annual Report that goes to the California State Legislature every year. She is in power point presentations given to people all over the world who meet to discuss Down syndrome. Do I get 'compensated' for this?? Heck no. But again...I am a proud, proud mom...who loves that Kendall can be this photogenic (It's that red hair! ;) ).

I'll look for your boys! :D