PDA

View Full Version : Did the Fantasmic! Buffet!

jon80flt
03-19-2005, 10:57 PM
We splurged for DW's birthday, and did the Fantasmic Dessert Buffet...it was a memorable event!

DW loves F!, but both DD's (5 & 8) were never too impressed, because we would have to wait so long, then deal with all the people in front of us, so they couldn't see much of the show, and they would get bored.

Tonight, we saw it the way it was meant to be seen... head-on, with an unobstructed view. DD's absolutley LOVED it!

The desserts were pretty good, but not as good as those we had on our trip to Club 33 about a month ago. There was Cheese Cake with rasberrys, and Chocolate Cake, skewers of huge strawberries, melons and pineapple spears, chocolate-dipped macaroons (ok, these were delish!), Eclairs, cream puffs, some cheeses and crackers, and a bunch of fresh-made fritters with apple dipping sauce. Drinks were the usual... coffee, hot cocoa, sodas, etc.

Just to set it straight, in case you ever get to go... don't sweat over getting to the gallery first in order to get the best seats (as we were told to do by one CM) ... they assign the seats in the order that you were originally helped, when you placed your call... for instance, I was apparently the second caller to get through and reserve a spot, so were were in the front row, just left of dead center.

I counted 21 people on the balcony... I bet they could've fit a couple more people, but it would've been REALLY tight!

As an added bonus, we were allowed to watch the fireworks from the balcony, too! It was great.

The ONLY bummer was that Pinnochio was glaringly missing from F!... there is just a 30 second lull in the show where he, and his 2 girlfriends should be, but now there's just music and a red fountian of water... Will they ever return?

All in all, it was expensive ($54 for each of us), but the looks on the DD's faces was worth every penny! :D

BTW: Was I supposed to tip the hostesses? DW thought no, but I think a $10 bill "fell out of my wallet" as we left the balcony. :p

Jon

bradk
03-19-2005, 11:04 PM
good to hear, thanks.

yes, balcony is first call, first reserve (they'll even tell you what seats you have when you reserve). the riverside is first come, first serve.

21 is actually high, i think it's roughly 15-20 people, so there must've been a large group there.

you went to a 9:30 show i take it?

pinocchio is experiencing some personal issues. he will be back eventually. maybe. basically the strings he doesn't have seem to have failed him.

Pascomom
03-19-2005, 11:05 PM
We splurged for DW's birthday, and did the Fantasmic Dessert Buffet...it was a memorable event!
All in all, it was expensive ($54 for each of us), but the looks on the DD's faces was worth every penny! :D
BTW: Was I supposed to tip the hostesses? DW thought no, but I think a $10 bill "fell out of my wallet" as we left the balcony. :p
Jon

Awesome!! Thanks for the report. We are going soon. Was hoping to get details such as this. Yes, someone please comment on the tipping thing.

Emma
03-19-2005, 11:15 PM
Glad to see you guys had fun! :)

--Emma

Hakuna Makarla
03-20-2005, 05:44 AM
who do I call to reserve or is it to late???????

Hakuna Makarla
03-20-2005, 06:06 AM
were your desserts in a small wrapped package or were you able to pick and chose what you like and so on? could you eat as much as you wantd?

bradk
03-20-2005, 06:51 AM
(714) 781-4400, starting at 8 am pst, up to 30 days out.

the days you'll be there in april are probably sold out (or very near it) for the balcony, but it won't hurt to try. also, riverside seating is probably available.

the buffet is a buffet. you eat what you like, altho i've heard things about how they're not so eager to replenish what's there, so you have to get it while the getting's good.

it's also only 25 minutes or so (the length of fantasmic), so i wouldn't expect to be eating your money's worth. assuming they leave whatever's left out, i guess you can stretch it to about an hour if you stay up there for the fireworks.

schmuzX2
03-20-2005, 07:50 AM
I'm so excited to hear it was worth it. I got tickets for Wednesday night after Easter. It was expensive (for myself and my 2 kids) but I've never seen Fantasmic! and I wanted to do it right the first time.

kohl
03-20-2005, 02:54 PM
I'm glad to hear you liked it. I'm hoping to get seats when we go for hubby's 40th birthday.

I Heart Disneyland!
03-20-2005, 03:01 PM
We splurged for DW's birthday, and did the Fantasmic Dessert Buffet...it was a memorable event!Okay, so, how do you reserve this sweet spot for Fantasmic? I've not watched it in years because of the uncomfortable cement seating and the heads in the way, etc. I don't mind the price, as it will be a one time deal. Please let me know where to get the info and where to place a reservation! I think we need to treat ourselves this trip in May!!! Should I call this early??

Good for you, by the way, for letting that $10 bill "fall out of your wallet"! My daughter is a waitress and I know she loves people who tip, no matter the amount! :)

Mistyj
03-20-2005, 03:06 PM
Regarding tipping, when my group and I watch Fantasmic! from the balcony, we tried to tip the staff but they told us they were not allowed to accept them.

This was a few years ago, however...

Crazy4DL
03-20-2005, 03:18 PM
Okay, so, how do you reserve this sweet spot for Fantasmic? I've not watched it in years because of the uncomfortable cement seating and the heads in the way, etc. I don't mind the price, as it will be a one time deal. Please let me know where to get the info and where to place a reservation! I think we need to treat ourselves this trip in May!!! Should I call this early??

Good for you, by the way, for letting that $10 bill "fall out of your wallet"! My daughter is a waitress and I know she loves people who tip, no matter the amount! :)

I Heart - you can't reserve until 30 days ahead of time and sounds like you need to call right away on the first day you can because it could fill up quite quickly with only about 20 spots.

JivinJungleSkipper85
03-20-2005, 03:51 PM
The ONLY bummer was that Pinnochio was glaringly missing from F!... there is just a 30 second lull in the show where he, and his 2 girlfriends should be, but now there's just music and a red fountian of water... Will they ever return?

Okay, what I know of this is that his lifting system has gone out, and to top that off, Pinnochio himself actually broke. They are for sure fixing him, however, how soon (if you can call it soon) is still under question...

Hakuna Makarla
03-20-2005, 03:56 PM
pleaseeeeeeee!! print in a darker color so I can read it!

stan4d_steph
03-20-2005, 04:21 PM
When I did the balcony seating, we did not tip.

DisneylandForever
03-20-2005, 05:45 PM
I'm so excited to hear it was worth it. I got tickets for Wednesday night after Easter. It was expensive (for myself and my 2 kids) but I've never seen Fantasmic! and I wanted to do it right the first time.

Hmmm. I don't wanna be a downer, but IMO it is only sorta worth it. 54 bucks for a 20 something minute free show, and some dessert. I did it once just to do it, but I would never do it again (unless I got an unexpected raise at my job ;)) - but if you have the money to spare then it is much more convenient. However there is something cool about being close enough to feel the mist, as well as the heat from the fire in the show. But I guess it is one of those things you have to do at least once, so I hope you guys have a great time! :D

SuefromRI
03-22-2005, 04:34 PM
Is paying $212 for a few desserts and a 25 minute show that is free otherwise a CA thing? I mean since you maybe have an AP so don't pay to get in and don't fly in or stay at a hotel? or is everything there so expensive that this is average for short entertainment? $212 to me compares to:
the cost of airfare to get to DL $225--airfare for 2 of us to get to FL $233--park tickets for all 4 of us to spend a WHOLE DAY at DL or WDW or Sea World or Universal or 6 Flags or Knotts, etc. In other words, it seems very expensive to me. Any one else??

bradk
03-22-2005, 04:40 PM
i'm doing it. altho granted it's just me, but even when i managed to talk myself out of it to save $55, my coworker reaffirmed my original feelings on the matter. it's a vacation, it's a special occasion, it's not an every day occurrence, so you might as well 'do it right' so you have no regrets later on. if it's not for you, then it's not for you. but if you're smitten with the idea, there's no reason for you not to go with it.

the whole ca thing makes no sense. if you have the chance to see fantasmic 6 times a year, why would you do the buffet? if you have the chance to see fantasmic only once a year, why wouldn't you?

i take it you aren't staying at a resort hotel.

as it is, i'm also doing the vip tour at ush, a couple of backstage tours at sea world and the long photo safari at the wild animal park.

although i must also remind myself that i live in a city with one of the most expensive costs of living in the world, so my perspective on what's expensive considerably contrasts with others.

SCUBAbe
03-22-2005, 04:40 PM
Is paying $212 for a few desserts and a 25 minute show that is free otherwise a CA thing? I mean since you maybe have an AP so don't pay to get in and don't fly in or stay at a hotel? or is everything there so expensive that this is average for short entertainment? $212 to me compares to:
the cost of airfare to get to DL $225--airfare for 2 of us to get to FL $233--park tickets for all 4 of us to spend a WHOLE DAY at DL or WDW or Sea World or Universal or 6 Flags or Knotts, etc. In other words, it seems very expensive to me. Any one else??

If you saw the crowds and hassle you have to go through before and after the free show it is worth it for some people. Some people shop at walmart to save money. I hate walmart and would rather spend more somewhere else than go into a walmart. (at least that is how I felt before they built a newer one in a nicer part of town where more average people shop ...so that one is not so bad, btu I still only go there occasioanlly...like once ebery other month or so...)

disney jones
03-22-2005, 05:29 PM
With apologies to DLF: Why watch Fantasmic! when the Main Street Electrical Parade is right across the street?

OK, so we do like F!, but we enjoy MSEP more. We've seen F! about six times the last ten months, but we've never done the Buffet. i think about it from time to time, especially since we've done literally most everything else, but this unique experience just does not seem to be worth it financially. It hard enough to spend that amount of money on a Character meal, but for just dessert?? And i agree with DLF - seats on the water are the best and they're free, especially for the 2nd showing, when wait times for prime spots are less than 1/2 hour.

Any one who is new to the show, i'd recommend avoiding the Buffet. Catch the show for free, then make a determination whether to invest in the Buffet at a later time.

SCUBAbe
03-22-2005, 06:47 PM
as it is, i'm also doing the vip tour at ush, a couple of backstage tours at sea world and the long photo safari at the wild animal park.

OMG, the long photo tour at the animal park is so cool. I LOVED it. The giraffes (http://mysite.verizon.net/res1r96j/me1.jpg) come right into the truck to eat. The rhino did attack our truck though. She was pregnant so we left. (The pregnant rhino and her two offspring.) (http://mysite.verizon.net/res1r96j/rhino03.jpg) They try not to upset the animals. Unfortuantly that rhino dies giving birth to her bbay. :crying: It was fun feeding them though. When we stopped for snacks I walked around the table area. We were above vast areas of plains with different types of animals roaming around. It was so relaxing and fun. :)

dlandnut
03-23-2005, 07:24 AM
We did the Fantasmic dessert buffet a few years ago. Four of us. It was expensive. Worth it? Sure, one time, but we don't do it again. Too expensive to continuously do, but for a one-time splurge, I would recommend it. Plenty of delicious "sweets", but I for one would have enjoyed a few more "non-sweet" items, like cheese and crackers, or something similar. That said, it's a dessert buffet, right? Anyway, I certainly recommend it as a great way to see Fantasmic without obstruction and if you go to the first showing, they let you stay and watch the fireworks display from there. :)