PDA

View Full Version : Does it get real cold at night in Disneyland?

Pages : [1] 2

Hakuna Makarla
03-19-2005, 01:33 PM
I do not have a heavy jacket ( I know I live in Montana I should but I do not.will a light jacket do? I see its in the 50's at night there and I would hate to be cold.
Should I bring gloves?

TOTFan
03-19-2005, 01:36 PM
It up to you. Just remember that its the dessert. SO it can get really hot in the day, but the ground doesn't hold heat. SO at night its gets nice and cool.

Tutter
03-19-2005, 01:51 PM
I come from a cold climate, but I have never needed more than a hoodie at night in Disneyland at any time of year.

DisneylandForever
03-19-2005, 01:56 PM
It up to you. Just remember that its the dessert. SO it can get really hot in the day, but the ground doesn't hold heat. SO at night its gets nice and cool.

Disneyland's in the desert? Er, my friends in Palm Springs would disagree with that one.

A light jacket should be fine, Karla. But it depends on your tolerance I suppose. It can get pretty chilly in SF sometimes, so I was okay in Disneyland all last week with either a T-shirt or a long sleeve T-shirt at night. I didn't even bring a jacket. I wouldn't pack anything heavier than a light jacket or a sweatshirt.

Hakuna Makarla
03-19-2005, 02:03 PM
cool,
I see its in the 50's at night and 6o's during the day, Here thats ok, but still not the warmest. I will make sure to pack a jacket, I hate chills , also I am staying in the park tim closing :)

MyBeast
03-19-2005, 02:04 PM
I'd bring a sweatshirt and a long sleeve shirt and gloves if your hands get cold easily. Last night when it was raining, it was pretty cold out. Of course my costume was a skirt and blouse so that may be why I was freezing.

disneyperson
03-19-2005, 02:11 PM
You should be fine with sweatshirt. If you need gloves they sell nice knit ones with mickeys on them for six bucks. Of course, if you're like me, you will lose at least one of them.
It would be a good idea to pack a plastic poncho.just in case.

TOTFan
03-19-2005, 02:23 PM
Disneyland's in the desert? Er, my friends in Palm Springs would disagree with that one.

OK, Disneyland is considered a chaperel climte, which is a desert climate. Its just so built up and developed it doesn't have that look. But if you went to the primary layer on the ground it would be sand. Hence forth the reason it doesn't hold heat. Hence forth a desert. Most of southern california is a desert. Except of course when you get to higher altitudes. So, Er my friend you are WRONG!!!

foolish mortal
03-19-2005, 02:43 PM
OK, Disneyland is considered a chaperel climte, which is a desert climate. Its just so built up and developed it doesn't have that look. But if you went to the primary layer on the ground it would be sand. Hence forth the reason it doesn't hold heat. Hence forth a desert. Most of southern california is a desert. Except of course when you get to higher altitudes. So, Er my friend you are WRONG!!!
Since you enjoy pointing out errors, I 'm going to take the oportunity to say I thought you were comparing Disneyland to a lovely decorated cake in your first post. You know, a DESSERT.

DisneylandForever
03-19-2005, 02:50 PM
Since you enjoy pointing out errors, I 'm going to take the oportunity to say I thought you were comparing Disneyland to a lovely decorated cake in your first post. You know, a DESSERT.

LOL!!!

California Deserts (http://www.caohwy.com/z/zdeserts.htm)

Susan L
03-19-2005, 03:06 PM
We are up in the northeastern Sierra's. As a matter of fact its trying real hard to snow right now. I wear shorts and a hooded sweatshirt and we are at DL during all times of the year just. The last time we were there it was in Oct 04 and there was a storm that blew through. They kept talking about a winter storm watch it never got below 53. We thought it was funny because when they talk about winter storm watch here that means blizzard conditions. Coming from Montana you should be fine unless you are as cold blooded as my DH he gets cold if its 90 degrees outside.

Crazy4DL
03-19-2005, 04:28 PM

LOL!! :D

bradk
03-19-2005, 04:54 PM
dessert has two s's because you always want more (and growing up in new england, a desert was not desirable).

i learned that in like 3rd or 4th grade. just thought i'd share.

SCUBAbe
03-19-2005, 07:36 PM
LOL!!!

California Deserts (http://www.caohwy.com/z/zdeserts.htm)

I live in the desert. I wouldn't call the DL area a deseert. It get sway to humiod down there. I like the dry heat of 110+...LOL...With all the rain the desert is actually green right now and there are alot of flowers out. We should have loads of california poppies this year. Maybe I try and find the poppy reserves. I've lived her for 15 years and I have never been there...LOL. they even have a poppy festival with helocopter rides out there :rolleyes:.....I've never been to the festival either...:)

SallySkellington
03-19-2005, 07:44 PM
Definitely bring a jacket, Karla. I'm not a big fan of the cold, and I needed my jacket by about 4:00.

Earkid
03-19-2005, 07:51 PM
Yes, it always seems like if you don't bring a jacket with you, you end up needing one. Bring it and pop it into a locker. And buy the cute little Mickey gloves. They are such a fun reminder of the Park once you go home.

I Heart Disneyland!
03-20-2005, 12:37 AM
The lockers are your best friend at DL. You can toss extra layers of clothing in them, and if you do need them, you can retrieve them. If not, they sit, safely in the locker. :) I think a light jacket will be fine too, especially considering the climate you are coming from. You will feel nice and warm and toasty in So. Cal. And, if you need one, there's a lot of sweatshirts, etc. sold at the park and I've had to do that a time or two as well.

The old man
03-20-2005, 07:01 AM
Southern CA has a number of climate zones. They tend to run in vertical strips starting at the coast. Disneyland is in the second zone which is characterized by temps running from the low 30's (in the time after midnight in the middle of winter on a few days) to the upper 90's (in summer, in the afternoons.) The average rainfall is around 12 - 14" (though this year it's almost double the average.)

The desert strip (which is about 100 miles to the east of Anaheim) is characterized by lows in the low 20's in winter, to highs around 110 in the summer, the average rain fall is around 2 to 3 inches.

It is often said that southern CA is a desert because it could not exist without importing water from the Sierras and other locals (true) and that it's built on sand (not totally true--a lot of it is clay).

Its daily temperture swings truly do not reach what I think of as a desert climate (even if there were no buildings there). In the desert, out to the east, a winter day can go from upper 20's to upper 80's in one day. This does not happen in Anaheim.
David

dlazechk
03-20-2005, 08:45 AM
we go at christmas and live in alberta. the humidity in the air from fantasmic makes it feel colder than it is. we take our winter coats for the evenings just in case.

Terri
03-20-2005, 09:19 AM
having spent 30 years in Anaheim and 15 in Alaska...I still will have a sweatshirt with me over memorial day weekend. I'll probably keep the shorts and sandals on though. I agree - a locker is your best friend.

And...yes, Anaheim is technically a desert climate, however, it isn't as dry, etc as the obvious desert out in Riverside and San Bernardino counties. The reason it is so green is due to water being brought into the area. And yes there is a LOT of sand in the ground. That's why they are always digging up the roadways - because the sandy ground seeps into the water drainage systems and they have to go in every few years to clean them out. (I know this because of working for the City and dealing with the roadcrews and engineers)

Enjoy the weather...it's very nice, and will be quite comfortable - but it may get "chilly" even in the summer at night.

SCUBAbe
03-20-2005, 09:57 AM
Its daily temperture swings truly do not reach what I think of as a desert climate (even if there were no buildings there). In the desert, out to the east, a winter day can go from upper 20's to upper 80's in one day. This does not happen in Anaheim.
David

yep, that is how it is where i live. We were in the 80's with the doors open a few weeks ago and at night it was so cold we had the fire going...LOL

Bigiver
03-20-2005, 10:22 AM
50 degrees at night and 60 degrees during the day. Do you know what we call that in Minnesota? Summer!
We will be enjoying the heat in three days,
arriving Wednesday, Bigiver

Terri
03-20-2005, 10:40 AM
50 degrees at night and 60 degrees during the day. Do you know what we call that in Minnesota? Summer!
We will be enjoying the heat in three days,
arriving Wednesday, Bigiver

yeah...we're in short sleeves right now, no coat and we're pushing 40 degrees...and no, I'm not cold - in Alaska. However, it is a different kind of cold in Anaheim...I'll still be in a sweatshirt at night, but I know my DH won't be. (he's all but a "lifer" alaskan!)

I would still strongly suggest bringing a sweatshirt and storing it in a locker - the worst that can happen is you don't wear it.

howgirl
03-20-2005, 08:12 PM
we just got back on friday and all we needed a light jacket in the morning and later in the night

SCUBAbe
03-20-2005, 08:15 PM
a lot of times ther eis a marine layer (clouds) that do not burn off until the afternoon. It can be chilly until it burns off and the sun can shine through. Then at night it just cools off normally. I'm usually OK unless there is a breeze or wind. One time we went in December and up here in the desert it was freezing. We went in sweatshirts. We got to DL and it was so warm we had to buy T-shirts, but the sweatshirts went back on at night...LOL