PDA

View Full Version : Smoke at Holiday Fireworks?

SweenyTodd
01-03-2002, 02:17 PM
Does anyone know why the "Believe... in Holiday Magic" fireworks show was so darn smokey? I saw the show eight or nine times and each time, many of the Fireworks detonated inside huge clouds of smoke, making nothing but their tails visible.

I don't really remember that much smoke for the "Believe... There's Magic in the Stars" show. I've noticed that the show is now set off from the old picnic grounds (and not from Toontown). Could the new location possibly be part of the reason? Or, is Disney using a cheaper grade of firework (that would explain Luminaria too, I suppose)? Perplexed, me.

BTW, I can't wait for the non-holiday fireworks to return. The holiday show is just okay in my opinion. The music was uneven and a really undramatic in many places. But the regular "Believe" show always gets me a little misty-eyed.

Napsto
01-03-2002, 08:30 PM
i wondered the same thing last year. i have a couple guesses. one would be that it is colder becuase it isthe winter seaosn so the smoke clouds don't moveas well, or that it is winter and there are just more clouds period. i dont really know but i noticed that too

MickeyD
01-03-2002, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Napsto
i wondered the same thing last year. i have a couple guesses. one would be that it is colder becuase it isthe winter seaosn so the smoke clouds don't moveas well, or that it is winter and there are just more clouds period. i dont really know but i noticed that too

(MickeyD stands over dead horse beating the poor thing.)

OMG! A paragraph thats not about sports! I'm shocked!:D :D

Not Afraid
01-03-2002, 11:27 PM
We've seen the "Believe....Holiday...." show about 15 times since it started. I've seen both fantastic shows, where the smoke was erased like an etch-a-sketch, and I've seen the show totally obliterated by smoke. I don't think that the type of pyro used is to blame, rather it is the higher-altitude winds (or lack there of) & temperature that is causing the problem.

The worst smoke problem I experienced was actually tonight. The smoke just stayed in the same place or moved toward the castle blocking all but the castle fireworks. Very disappointing for me since it may be the last time I see that show and even more of a shame for one-timers.

The best time was on a very, very cold night. Watching from the RoA there was virtually no smoke at all.

There have been many in-between experiences. (Some smoke with enough wind to clear, a little smoke blocking the show, etc.)

Isn't there a MP pyro aficionado on the boards who can enlighten us?

FantasmicFan82
01-04-2002, 12:48 AM
EASY... With No wind, the smoke won't go anywhere. normally there's just enough wind to push just enough of the smoke out of the way. sometimes the wind isn't fast enough and some parts of the show that are a little fast get covered. when there's too much wind, there's no show, some fireworks go up and come back down still lit, one landing on park guests or on a car on the 5 fwy. would NOT be good.

hbquikcomjamesl
01-04-2002, 07:00 AM
Also, on New Year's Eve, there was lots of low cloud cover.

socabch
01-04-2002, 09:56 AM
I agree that it is the weather. Mother Nature effects the fireworks at SW too. I live across the bay from SW (I see every Fireworks show from my house) and sometimes there is smoke and sometimes it's clear. I am not sure what is a good combo for fireworks. BTW, DL's fireworks on a smokey day is better than SW on a good day.

Napsto
01-04-2002, 10:12 AM
cxuld you image a dland firework landing on your car?

Fancy Pants
01-04-2002, 02:32 PM
that's funny, with all the extra smoke, you'd think you'd get more misty eyed during the holiday version.

the regular show seems more kiddie.

when there's no wind to push the smoke away, it'll accumulate in one area and just rise up, blocking most of the fireworks from view.

Nigel2
01-05-2002, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Napsto
cxuld you image a dland firework landing on your car?

Well according to this site one unexploded shell (or some burning shrapnel) nailed part of minnies house, they had a photo. But one problem that use to occur (from what I have heard) a long time ago the fireworks would sometimes drop small amounts of debris on cars in local neighborhoods and they could dammage the paint on the cars.

zapppop
01-06-2002, 08:34 AM
Don't any of you people study meteorology ?

When you have cold moist air combining with warm air, you get clouds !

Any more questions ?

Nigel2
01-06-2002, 01:47 PM
Ok then why on a dry summer night did a fireworks show get stopped in the middle due to low visablity from smoke? Actually I believe the wind wasn't moving much, but it was smoke that blocked out the show. Wait a minute...:)