PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see the fireworks tonight?

FantasmicFanatic
03-18-2005, 11:13 PM
How were they? What were they? Any new effects?

FF

AaronInCal
03-19-2005, 02:07 AM
I saw the fireworks and thought they were pretty good. Basically they went back to the original "Fantasy in the Sky" show, just shooting up fireworks not really coreographed to anything. The music was the same they used in the show before Believe came along, but the ending was not "To celebrate America," rather the announcer just said, "And now, our grand finale!" Then for that part they went to the ending music from Imagine last summer. No new effects that I noticed. They did use the fan effect from behind the Castle during the opening and had a couple "shooting stars." The show was only about 6-7 minutes long, so it is short. But the finale was really bright and loud! Colorful, too! Seems like it's been awhile since there have been colorful finales to the fireworks at Disneyland, aside from New Year's and July 4. So it's a good little show to at least have some kind of fireworks at night for the next 2 weeks. :)

Germboy
03-19-2005, 04:18 PM
We also saw the show last night (and recorded it) from in front of IASW.

What a strange show. I loved it! I am a fireworks freak, and this show gave me a lot to digest. :geek:

A few things stuck out in my mind:

1. The show was very straightforward. No "Imagine that you are a little boy having a wish upon a midnight star, wishing with all his might, that he might be able to stay in this wonderful, magical place forever" sappy nonsense. No trying to weave some story into it. It was a wonderful breath of fresh air that harkoned back to when I was a boy and Disneyland was a special place that didn't need explanation.

2. No tinkerbell, and the narration changed to reflect that.

3. A GRAND FINALE! When was the last time you heard those words uttered? This was a return to the classical theatrics for which Disney was famous. Although I was disappointed they did not return to a patriotic finale, I was at least pleased that they had one. It was the finale of the show, and the final burst of fireworks was grand.

4. Although the announcer was the same, the style of narration definitely changed. Very straightforward and grandiose. For those who didn't see it: At the beginning, he says "Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls, Disneyland is proud to present 'Fantasy In The Sky!'" Two things stuck me about this. He said "DISNEYLAND" and he also said "PROUDLY PRESENTS." I haven't heard that from this park in YEARS. Before the finale, "And now, our grand finale!" This is also an old style of narration Disneyland used under Jack Wagner (the Voice of Disneyland). If you've never seen the flag retreat, watch it, and you'll hear Jack Wagner say "Ladies and Gentlemen, our National Anthem!" The narration last night was in the same mode. MOST STRIKING to me was after the show--"Ladies and Gentlemen, thank you for joining us for 'Fantasy In The Sky!' We hope you enjoy the rest of your stay at the Magic Kingdom!" When was the last time you heard any kind of announcement after the show? It's been years. When was the last time you heard it called "The Magic Kingdom?" It's been years. Jack Wagner began most of his narrations with "Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls..." and omitted the "boys and girls" part during the concluding announcement. The show last night did just that. Very polished and sophisticated.

5. No choreography to the music. I wonder why. Although it did seem to be thrown together at the last minute and maybe they couldn't get it together in time.

6. Finally, an end to the worn-out shooting star effect that they have used and used and used again. They only used it once, at the beginning, and a strange errant one at the end that I don't think was intentional. If anyone sees the show, please let me know if that shooting star at the end was a goof last night, or if it was intentional.

7. Also, since I was at Small World, I didn't see too much of the castle to be able to tell if they shot fireworks off from it. Didn't seem like they did. No fountains or any type of pyrotechnics from behind Small World. No popping fireworks in the show either.

8. They finally fixed the rumbling, blown-out speaker back by Small World. What a relief!

9. No exit music. Another relief. The lights just came on and it ended. Like the end of a good movie.

After I saw it the first time, I thought "What the heck?" But after I got home and watched it a few times, I loved it. You can definitely see a shift in their presentation. I can't wait for the 50th show! :)

disneyguy247
03-19-2005, 05:52 PM
hey germboy, were you possibly thinking up posting your video? i would be most grateful!

Cherene
03-19-2005, 08:08 PM
When is the firework show? And is it Friday, sat. and Sunday?

jon80flt
03-19-2005, 10:16 PM
If anyone sees the show, please let me know if that shooting star at the end was a goof last night, or if it was intentional.

We saw the show this evening...yes, the shooting star was present at the end, but it was really low in the sky....I could see how one would think it was an oops!

BWthespian
03-20-2005, 12:29 AM
kinda, mind u i dont live in the ghettos around dland , i live in anaheim hills and i can make out the fireworks from my parents room, depends on how high they go lucky me huh lol

Darkbeer
03-20-2005, 07:19 AM
When is the firework show? And is it Friday, sat. and Sunday?

The Fireworks will be offered nightly thru April 2nd.

After that, the next Fireworks show will start on May 5th, and will be offered nightly (well, at least thru summer).

Opus1guy
03-20-2005, 08:58 AM
We were up in Club 33 having dinner last night when the fireworks were running, but we elected not to go out on the balcony and only saw snippets through the windows and trees.

It was funny though, as the waitstaff could tell just by the pattern of the sound of the blasts that the show was somehow different. After hearing the shows over and over again, they probably have every shell memorized!

3. A GRAND FINALE! When was the last time you heard those words uttered? This was a return to the classical theatrics for which Disney was famous. Although I was disappointed they did not return to a patriotic finale, I was at least pleased that they had one. It was the finale of the show, and the final burst of fireworks was grand.

This is what I really noticed just from the blast sounds. It seemed much more intense than I recalled of the more recent pyro shows.

Germboy
03-20-2005, 10:53 AM
hey germboy, were you possibly thinking up posting your video? i would be most grateful!

Yes. Go to my friend's website: www.jorge.gamboa.com, and right-click on the link. Then hit "Save target as". The original file was close to a gigabyte. We compressed that A LOT so we could send it back and forth without a nine-hour download time. You'll see that the quality has suffered, but you'll at least get the idea.

Do it quick, because I got his permission to post his site on these boards and I don't know how long he'll have the video up.

Enjoy. :)

Germboy
03-20-2005, 10:55 AM
We saw the show this evening...yes, the shooting star was present at the end, but it was really low in the sky....I could see how one would think it was an oops!

Thanks. ;)

Bigiver
03-21-2005, 05:20 AM
Germboy,
Enjoyed your review of the fireworks. Where in front of IASW did you view from? How much time before the show did yor stake out your spot? I too love firework and will be there this week. Would like to find a good spot to view without spendinding hours before waiting. Would appriciate any other suggestions. Would also like to have any hints for the parades yhat any one is willing to share. Thanks much, Bigiver[

RStar
03-21-2005, 08:35 AM
The Fireworks will be offered nightly thru April 2nd.

After that, the next Fireworks show will start on May 5th, and will be offered nightly (well, at least thru summer).

I wonder if they will have it on the 4th for the special event? Any news leak out yet Darkbeeer?

bandboy1985
03-21-2005, 11:53 AM
1. The show was very straightforward. No "Imagine that you are a little boy having a wish upon a midnight star, wishing with all his might, that he might be able to stay in this wonderful, magical place forever" sappy nonsense. No trying to weave some story into it. It was a wonderful breath of fresh air that harkened back to when I was a boy and Disneyland was a special place that didn't need explanation.

amen- what's wrong with fireworks being fireworks, not "magical images painted in the skies above Sleeping Beauty Castle"? just because it's Disney pyro doesn't mean it has to be magical stardust imagined in the minds of Stepford children.

i missed the patriotic finale, too- you could hear the difference in orchestrations. 1985 sounds different from 2004.

6. Finally, an end to the worn-out shooting star effect that they have used and used and used again. They only used it once, at the beginning, and a strange errant one at the end that I don't think was intentional. If anyone sees the show, please let me know if that shooting star at the end was a goof last night, or if it was intentional.

yeah- it's that "wishing star" thing again- and it seems to irk me that it's always a gold rocket- white wouldn't look half so odd. and the finale star DID look out of place, i thought it was errant as well.

9. No exit music. Another relief. The lights just came on and it ended. Like the end of a good movie.

true. we don't always need a playoff.

AaronInCal
03-21-2005, 02:50 PM
I wonder if they will have it on the 4th for the special event? Any news leak out yet Darkbeeer?

If you're talking about May 4, they will almost certainly show Remember..Dreams Come True fireworks for the media and VIPs at the Park that day. Fantasy in the Sky fireworks right now are showing nightly through April 2 for the Spring Break period. There will be no fireworks from April 3 until May when the new show begins nightly performances.

Germboy
03-21-2005, 03:52 PM
Germboy,
Enjoyed your review of the fireworks. Where in front of IASW did you view from? How much time before the show did yor stake out your spot?

Oh--hope you get this before you go! Thanks for the complement. As you look at IASW, turn to the right. The planter that has the Loch Ness Monster shaped bush has railing around it with light posts. The very right-hand side of that planter, by the little walkway, is where I normally stand to film. This provides the biggest sky, the least amount of obstructions, and a set of loudspeakers right behind you in the trees. If I'm not filming and don't have to worry about audio, then I normally just sit out in the middle of the walkway towards the IASW line.

If it's not a Fri or weekend night, that area is mostly empty. We run up there about 9:15. On weekends or when the park is a little more crowded, we may go 30-45 minutes in advance. On 4th of July or NYE, we go hours in advance--and then you have to push people out of your space. Somehow, after you have sat there for hours protecting your spot, some family of 10 tries to come up 5 minutes before the show starts and sit right on top of you (then put their 8 kids up on their shoulders, knowing darn well there is a camera right there...) :mad: :mad: :mad:

Jeremiah
03-21-2005, 04:21 PM

It will happen on May 4th but if you want to see it for one of its first run throughs I would keep an eye out either on May 2nd or 3rd when the CM perview is. They will be showing both parades plus the fireworks.

J

Bigiver
03-22-2005, 03:45 AM
Germboy,
Thanks again for the info. I did receive your reply before I left. We don't leave until 3:00 Wed afternoon, flight should arrive lax 4:55. Plenty of time to catch a bite and arrive in time to stake out a spot. I thank everyone for all the good info. We have been east many times but this is our first time coming west. The one thing about being a 50 year old rookie is that you are willing to learn. Thanks again, Bigiver

Germboy
03-24-2005, 06:10 PM
We don't leave until 3:00 Wed afternoon, flight should arrive lax 4:55. Plenty of time to catch a bite and arrive in time to stake out a spot.

How was/is your trip going? Quite different than Florida, I'm sure. :)