PDA

View Full Version : Don't think I care for the new "logs" on Splash Mountain

Pages : [1] 2

ima_mickeyfan
03-18-2005, 08:55 AM
I liked the old seating b4..where I could actually hold on to my child when we go down the drop. last time we went it was hubby, I and 2 kids (1 for each of us) now we have 4 kids, how in the world am I going to hang onto my little girls ages 4 with the head rest between us? or am I an over parraniod parent?
:|

wishIwasthe_Mouse
03-18-2005, 09:08 AM
I liked the old seating b4..where I could actually hold on to my child when we go down the drop. last time we went it was hubby, I and 2 kids (1 for each of us) now we have 4 kids, how in the world am I going to hang onto my little girls ages 4 with the head rest between us? or am I an over parraniod parent?
over parraniod... no. bu it is actualy safer and more comfertable for all the riders. have them wear a back pack backwards and you should be able to hold onto the straps if you think they may fall out. but not to worry they wont :)

Disney Vault
03-18-2005, 09:26 AM
Are you just talking about the logs having the backrest or the brand new logs with the backrest and the double seat in the back? I personally love the backrest.

wishIwasthe_Mouse
03-18-2005, 09:28 AM
Are you just talking about the logs having the backrest or the brand new logs with the backrest and the double seat in the back? I personally love the backrest.
oh yes i love the back rest too. it is so much more comfertable .

MsYumiBr
03-18-2005, 09:28 AM
If you look closely, the last seat in the log is a 2 seater. There is a height limitation. They also have a kid swap pass so parents with kids too short for the ride can go and then the next parent can go without waiting in line. You may want to wait until the girls are older if you are not bringing helpers along. (Not like I haven't done THAT before).

ToursbabeC3po
03-18-2005, 09:55 AM
Oh I am so happy they did this for younger children! I went when they first changed the logs from children in your lap to the split in the seating and my friends daughter was just 40 inches. He held on to his child going down the hills but on the last hill the child moved forward to see "what was coming up" and my friend could not grab anything but the back of her shirt and she split her lip on the back of the next seat and chipped her tooth. I was working there at the time and demanded safety come out or I would sue the crap out of them! This was the first week this new seating was implemented so I am sure they had many more injuries from guest that just don't hold on to there kids because they have no ideal what the ride entails. I wish I would have called DOSH about it but I was a little afraid because I still worked their. Any ways, First AID came and it was her baby tooth so her dad left it alone after we had a written promise from safety to "look into the problem."
I know there is a possibility when you go on any attraction to become injured but that was just a injury read to happen with other small children!
Does anyone know what the height is for the new system?
Toursbabe

Disneyfreak
03-18-2005, 10:03 AM

What do you mean? They made a new seat in the back made for two so parents with little children could be held on by parents.

ima_mickeyfan
03-18-2005, 10:11 AM
i think i just don't like that space between us...if I could hold on to them, then I would feel better, but then again they may not even want to go on the ride or may be tall enough. I can't imagine the height being a problem as they are tall for their age, but who knows...

ima_mickeyfan
03-18-2005, 10:12 AM
the brand new logs, with the back rest and double seat

Wesley815
03-18-2005, 02:10 PM
the brand new logs, with the back rest and double seatThen what are you even worried about? You could sit *next* to your child (meaning side by side, two wide, in the very last back seat) and hold onto them as much as you want.

MsYumiBr
03-18-2005, 02:47 PM
What do you mean? They made a new seat in the back made for two so parents with little children could be held on by parents.

Check out Darbeer's photos:

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/427843/5/17174254/Large

It looks to me the back seat is larger so that a) larger person can sit in it or 2) parent and child can sit in it. I wonder how large they actually are. Can two adults sit in it?

ToursbabeC3po
03-18-2005, 02:55 PM
Check out Darbeer's photos:

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/427843/5/17174254/Large

It looks to me the back seat is larger so that a) larger person can sit in it or 2) parent and child can sit in it. I wonder how large they actually are. Can two adults sit in it?

I thought there would be seatbelts in the back, to me it is still not safe. At WDW you sit side by side with lap belts much safer.
Toursbabe

MsYumiBr
03-18-2005, 02:58 PM
I thought there would be seatbelts in the back, to me it is still not safe. At WDW you sit side by side with lap belts much safer.
Toursbabe

The ride is under refurbishment right now. If you scroll through Darkbeer's pictures you can see that there are lapbelts on the water dummys and they are trying various configurations of seats. It's safe. There's no way they would let anyone on that ride without a lap belt.

On second thought, it looks like they've been roped in. Are they going to do that to us?

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
03-18-2005, 03:02 PM
THere are no lapbelts at DL, we take my 4 year old daughter on the ride frequently, it is one of her favorites. The taller seat dividers are a little inconvenient, you have to reach around to hold onto the child, but I have never felt it was unsafe. I'm pretty excited if two people an adult and a child can ride in the rear seat, what fun, my daughter will love it.

RideMax Mark
03-18-2005, 03:20 PM
I rode Splash today with my daughter in the double back seat. There really isn't much leg room between that last back seat and the seat right in front of it. It's sort of like the two people in the back seat will be bothering the person in front of them with their legs, unless the folks in back are *really* short.

Disney Vault
03-18-2005, 03:30 PM
Toursbabe
I am pretty sure WDW doesn't have lap belts either.

TOTFan
03-18-2005, 04:09 PM
The ride is under refurbishment right now. If you scroll through Darkbeer's pictures you can see that there are lapbelts on the water dummys and they are trying various configurations of seats. It's safe. There's no way they would let anyone on that ride without a lap belt.

On second thought, it looks like they've been roped in. Are they going to do that to us?

The ride is open now, not under refurb

DisneyDustin22
03-18-2005, 04:14 PM
I still don't see how you could fall out of one of the logs anyway. Unless you stand up and start flailing about like an idiot, its not like a gust of wind is going to pull you out of the log while going down the hill. And if you're kids are standing up on the ride to begin with, tell them to SIT! If they argue, I dunno don't buy them mickey ears or something. What's next? Shoulder harnesses? If one doesn't have the common sense to stay seated while moving in a makeshift log around a water flume, then maybe they deserve to take a spill in the briar patch.

TOTFan
03-18-2005, 04:16 PM
Here Here Dustin, I agree with you. Idiots if they fall out.

Earkid
03-18-2005, 04:18 PM
I rode Splash today with my daughter in the double back seat. There really isn't much leg room between that last back seat and the seat right in front of it. It's sort of like the two people in the back seat will be bothering the person in front of them with their legs, unless the folks in back are *really* short. That was exactly my concern when I first saw the refurb photos. The legs of the people in the back are going to be next to the persons hips in front of them. What if that person in the last single seat is a rather large person and hangs over the sides of the seat. That will leave no leg room for the people in the back.

The CM's are going to have to practice "seat profiling" to make sure people get placed appropriately. :D

MouseSlave
03-21-2005, 02:02 PM
Toursbabe

I just went to WDW in June 04 and we didn't have lap belts..I felt totally safe. The ride is designed so that force alone will keep you from flying out of the log...if you feel it is unsafe for your child, simply don't allow them to ride until you feel safer.

millionairegirl
03-21-2005, 02:13 PM
I've never been on a log ride that had seatbelts (Knott's, Magic Mountain, etc). Kids don't need to be held onto. I don't understand this mentality. It seems like you're teaching the kids to fear the ride.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
03-21-2005, 02:32 PM
I held my arms around my 3yo when we went last November. It was under refurbishment last week when we were there. I am not tall 5'6 but really didn't have a problem sitting with my arms around him, I just sat forward in my seat.

ToursbabeC3po
03-21-2005, 02:43 PM
I've never been on a log ride that had seatbelts (Knott's, Magic Mountain, etc). Kids don't need to be held onto. I don't understand this mentality. It seems like you're teaching the kids to fear the ride.

My kids afraid of rides LOL. My 10 year old Loves Xcellerator at knotts for her 10th Birthday she went on it 10 times in a row and will go on anything at any amusement park including magic mountain. My kids are older 10 and 12. The situation I was talking about was when I was with a friend and his 3 year old went on the splash mountain. She slid forward and hit her mouth on the seat in front of her chipping her tooth and splitting her lip. You can read about it up top if you wish.

I thought WDW had seatbelts but I have not been there in 2 years so I guess my mind is not as sharp as it once was.

I worked log ride at knotts when I was 18. I also was one of the first girl miners on the Mine ride :-) I know there is no seatbelts there but the drop is not as steep at all and kids can sit in between your legs.

I have not seen the new double seat in the back I will have to check it out. I don't plan on going back to the park until space reopens.

kristen
03-22-2005, 09:13 PM
everyone thinks you can sit two in the back, but they should put up a sign cause people are always trying to...