PDA

View Full Version : How scared are you when it comes to rides?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

TOTFan
03-17-2005, 03:57 PM
I was just curious, are there still people out in the world that get scared to go on a ride? I never had this issue in my life and no one in my family or friends has either. We just do everything. Why do people get scared, and why don't they just over come it?

Earkid
03-17-2005, 04:00 PM
I'm never scared of rides, what scares me is the possibility that I may get motion sickness on a ride and up-chuck all over everyone. :eek:

Hakuna Makarla
03-17-2005, 04:00 PM
I was just curious, are there still people out in the world that get scared to go on a ride? I never had this issue in my life and no one in my family or friends has either. We just do everything. Why do people get scared, and why don't they just over come it?

well I feel like wetting my self at the thought of the roller coaster in DCa but coaster says I must do it :eek:
tot was amazingly scary but I did it, but of course I was not my self for about an hour afterwards :~D

bradk
03-17-2005, 04:05 PM
before this topic gets moved...

i used to be afraid of some.. like loops on coasters... when i was much younger.. then i gradually became more accepting of them and the like. i ultimately had to make a conscious decision that the rides are engineered to make safety their first priority and although i sometimes i have my doubts with my particular density (that's physically, not mentally), but the rides haven't failed me yet. so i've learned to enjoy the sensation you get on any fast or upside down ride when you just relax yourself and go limp and let gravity put the straps and bars to the test.

Andrew
03-17-2005, 04:11 PM
As far as Disney rides go, I agree with Earkid; they don't scare me per se, but I'm not of the most stable stomach after eating (and I have a low CON score anyway) so I don't like most coasters.

For non-Disney rides, i.e. more "extreme" like at IOA or Six Flags park... yeah, they scare me.

MsYumiBr
03-17-2005, 04:16 PM
I do not ever remember being afraid of rides, airplanes, boats, nothing like that. Excited, yes! Afraid? Never. I do get sick on rides nowadays -- headaches.

Deogge's Mom
03-17-2005, 04:33 PM
Most rides don't scare me. I will admit that I was afraid of Excelator at Knott's until I got on it. Now I'm lovin' it, although it still ties my stomach up in knots until we're over that first big hill.

I do not like the Mali-boomer at DCA. I don't really know why either. I love ToT.

I Heart Disneyland!
03-17-2005, 04:34 PM
I am afraid to go on TOT!!!! I'm very claustrophobic, and though I know it's not logical to be afraid of the closed in spaces, the rides that do make me feel this way---I stay away from them. (Includes Star Tours)

Jewels
03-17-2005, 04:35 PM
I am with Earkid. I am not afraid of some rides my head loves what the ride does, it's my stomach that has a problem. I have had motion sickness all of my life. I have some ways of getting around it. But most of the time out of respect for the rest of the riders I just choose not to go on them.

TOTFan
03-17-2005, 04:48 PM
TOT isn't reall enlosed though, its pretty open. I think most of the time a persons brain psych's them out more than anything. I wish more people would just go for it and enjoy it.

wendyxo
03-17-2005, 04:54 PM
I am afraid of TOT also! I'm kind of a chicken though~ that's why I stick to DL, it is as intense as I can handle :)

itig
03-17-2005, 04:58 PM
I'm with the motion sickness folks...I can do drop rides and coasters all day long, but I stay clear of the spinners...even Flik's Flyer's made me queasy :P

The wife is the exact opposite - HATES being dropped or any feeling of falling. Works well for us. She takes the little ones on the spinners and I do the drops...everyone wins :)

Hakuna Makarla
03-17-2005, 05:04 PM
oh man I had a dream last night I was on a ride and the drops were so intense! I dreamed I was on soaring and it took me so highm then dropped me, I was lifted and droped so many times I got used to it. I wonder if this will come true :)

MrsG
03-17-2005, 05:08 PM
I am with Earkid. I am not afraid of some rides my head loves what the ride does, it's my stomach that has a problem. I have had motion sickness all of my life. I have some ways of getting around it. But most of the time out of respect for the rest of the riders I just choose not to go on them.
I'll join all you motion sickness folks. "Respect for the rest..." is a great way to put it. I'm always afraid to walk underneath Screamin over by Maliboomer just in case there is someone weak of stomach up there. Anyone else freaked out under the tracks?

SCUBAbe
03-17-2005, 05:24 PM
I got a bit apprehensive before riding Goalith, but I went in it anyway. Why was I apprehensive?? Have you seen the drop??...LOL...I use to be scared of the roller coasters becasue I had very bad vision and couldn't really see where we were going. (had to take the glasses off.) anyway, when I got contacts I loved the coasters. Now I've had corrective surgery and I still love the coasters...:)

BWthespian
03-17-2005, 05:25 PM
try goin on a roller coaster you stand up in lol (riddlers revenge-six flags) it was one of the oddest sensations ever lol :D

BWthespian
03-17-2005, 05:29 PM
omg scubabe the first long drop on golaith i black out on did that happen to u whats weird was i think it happened to everyone on the coaster with us lol cuz no one was screaming nuthing but silence it was weird

SCUBAbe
03-17-2005, 05:31 PM
try goin on a roller coaster you stand up in lol (riddlers revenge-six flags) it was one of the oddest sensations ever lol :D

I LOVE stand up coaters..:)

SCUBAbe
03-17-2005, 05:32 PM
omg scubabe the first long drop on golaith i black out on did that happen to u whats weird was i think it happened to everyone on the coaster with us lol cuz no one was screaming nuthing but silence it was weird

No i didn't black out, btu ti was a LONG drop...LOL..the g forces in the spiral turns were pretty intense though. I couldn't even keep my head up....LOL

CrazyTrain
03-17-2005, 06:33 PM
Just get over it?
If life were so easy! *LOL*

Part of why I don't like roller coasters is the unkown. The speed. I don't like drops either. The dark's not that great. I don't really like being off the ground, for the most part.

I've gotten better at it (I now try more things! and I go on things that I like even though they're still scary at times). But I will never just "get over it." instead I manage it, and I learn my limits. That's just the way I am. And there is absoultely nothing wrong with that!

Hakuna Makarla
03-17-2005, 06:38 PM
I think that dream I had helped me to get over the drops, man I was droping all night! I woke up at 3:00am this morning . Of course my kids were up to and got me up :( but I am looking forward to tot again, and Maybe a big ride, but I sure am thinking that roller coaster ( scream ) is mighty scary! I got so panicy on the ferris wheel I could not speak! I was so afraid it would tumble over, that was one bad feeling!

chazcrew
03-17-2005, 06:41 PM

*raising hand* yep, that would be me. Why don't I just overcome it? Oh, okay, that's simple, then. I'll just overcome it. :rolleyes:

Seriously, it's called a phobia. Fear of heights, and of falling, keeps me from the scarier rides. Motion sickness (yes, I get car sick, too) keeps me from the spinning or rough rides. That's one reason I like Disneyland; unlike other amusement parks, it's not filled with thrill rides. There are plenty of things to do that won't make me shaky or nauseated or headachy. You ask later on why people don't just go for it and enjoy it. Well, I have gone for it, and I haven't enjoyed it. Instead, I've gone off to a remote corner to throw up, or I've spent the next two hours trying to get my head to stop spinning and my stomach to stop lurching. Where's the enjoyable part? No thanks.

I'm glad people like you exist, though, because my kids need someone to ride with them! :D

Earkid
03-17-2005, 06:44 PM
I'm glad people like you exist, though, because my kids need someone to ride with them! :D LOL :D

nvmom
03-17-2005, 06:45 PM
How scared? Very. And no, I can't get over it. I don't care for heights or drops. Some people get a "rush" or "joy" out of those sensations, or joy out of "conquering" a ride so to speak. I don't. I feel out of control and freightened. Period.

Now, I have no issues w/spinning. I probably would've loved the loose Tea Cups back in the day.

In a typical amusement park, there's not many rides I enjoy. That's one of the things I love about DL, there's something for everyone.

nvmom

TOTFan
03-17-2005, 06:49 PM
Sure you can get over it, you just do it. Take a step and then another and then another. Baby steps. Imagine how excited you will be when you get over it.

As Yoda said "Fear leads to pain, pain leads to anger, anger leads to the darkside of the force."