PDA

View Full Version : Star Tours FASTPASS no longer standalone

Pages : [1] 2

RideMax Mark
03-17-2005, 03:33 PM
The Star Tours FP machines were operating today, but I noticed that after getting FPs for Buzz the system wouldn't allow me to also get Star Tours FPs until two hours after I had obtained the Buzz FPs.

Of course, it remains to be seen how long the Star Tours FP machines will even be operating, but I thought you guys might want to know about this change...

SeansMom
03-17-2005, 04:09 PM
Dang...and here I was hoping to do the exact same thing!!! Guess I'll have to WAIT...argghhhhhh

Wendi
03-18-2005, 10:03 AM
Aw man... what a shame!!!

Leash81
03-18-2005, 10:09 AM
Are there any standalones left? Which ones?

Darkbeer
03-18-2005, 10:10 AM
I checked it on Monday, and it WAS a stand-alone... guess I have a project for this weekend... checking the entire system....

Darkbeer
03-18-2005, 10:11 AM
Are there any standalones left? Which ones?

Well, last week it would be Roger Rabbit and Grizzly River Run...

I will test the entire system this weekend, and will let you know....

ToursbabeC3po
03-18-2005, 10:16 AM
The Star Tours FP machines were operating today, but I noticed that after getting FPs for Buzz the system wouldn't allow me to also get Star Tours FPs until two hours after I had obtained the Buzz FPs.

Of course, it remains to be seen how long the Star Tours FP machines will even be operating, but I thought you guys might want to know about this change...

I remember hearing about this...I also heard you can not get space, buzz, tours, or auto together.....Although you can get a fast pass from the west side of the park with any of these passes. I will ask my friend and see what they have done so you know Ride max.

They are expecting high attendance in the tomorrowland area because of the new buzz ride and space reopening so they are trying to make it so everyone can fairly get on the rides. Now if you have AAA tickets or you stay at one of the Disneyland resort hotels and have hopper passes you can still get unlimited fast passes. This is so those that do not visit the park often get first access to the rides in the area.

I never understood why anyone got a fast pass for star tours anyway's? The line is not even 30 mins if the whole Que is full even though it says 45 sometimes. If there was no fast pass the line would always be under 30 mins. Oh and it always killed be when people got fast passes when the line was 10 mins. Which is 90% of the time.

Captain Josh
03-18-2005, 10:48 AM
I never understood why anyone got a fast pass for star tours anyway's? The line is not even 30 mins if the whole Que is full even though it says 45 sometimes. If there was no fast pass the line would always be under 30 mins. Oh and it always killed be when people got fast passes when the line was 10 mins. Which is 90% of the time.

And then you have people like me, who just don't understand the concept of FP's at all, and think people need to learn the value of standing in a line....;)

The old man
03-18-2005, 10:51 AM
And then you have people like me, who just don't understand the concept of FP's at all, and think people need to learn the value of standing in a line....;)
And then you have people like me that can't understand why anyone wouldn't want to take advantage of FP and avoid spending two hours standing in line for SM.
David

Captain Josh
03-18-2005, 10:53 AM
Okay, okay I admit, FP's work more for somethings than others. I just see a lot more faults (tranlation: wasted space) than most people.

ToursbabeC3po
03-18-2005, 11:35 AM
And then you have people like me that can't understand why anyone wouldn't want to take advantage of FP and avoid spending two hours standing in line for SM.

David I do understand you point ever so slightly. But my problem with fast pass is that it is confusing to those who really need to use it like people that come out of the country or state to visit once in a lifetime. Instead we have APers like me and you who abuse the system and get several fast passes at once. This leads to a line that used to average on extreme hot crowed days from 75 mins. to 120 mins.(SplashM) sometimes longer depending how they enter the estimated attendance on the fast pass computer system on each individual ride. I don't know how many times I have stood at fast pass return and first time guest just don't get it. They go get a pass and they try to come right to fast pass return and you try to explain to them how the system work and they walk away confused. They just don't get it! I am not saying that the guest is stupid or that I explained it wrong. They are just in a place they have never been before and it is very confusing for them.
I have had several guest think that they could not get in without a "ticket" (fast pass) so they did not get on any rides all day.
Or system is the most confusing of any park. I think Disney should upgrade tickets like Universal. You pay you get to go in faster. You can purchase a "priority pass" for a fee and you wear it around your neck and the cast member sees the pass and directs you to the right area to ride. This system is much easier and I know if I went to any place I would only get to go once in a lifetime or even every few years I would pay the money. I know I am going to get a lot of pooh for this post but I think the "Average guest" should get first priority. Apers get to revisit sometimes several times a year and they are the ones that get priority it makes no sense.
I am in no way saying that Aper's are bad for getting several fast passes at once they have made it so you can on some rides and they know we do. I am a Aper for 4 themed parks and anything that is handed to me I am going to take. I am just saying it is not fair to the "average guest"
Toursbabe

animagusurreal
03-18-2005, 06:14 PM
I was thinking recently -

On rides that tend to run out of Fastpass quickly - such as Splash - might there be a way to "ration" the fastpasses so they're spread out a little more throughout the day, so that people who arrive later (or don't want to trek all the way up to Critter Country immediately upon arrival) have a chance of getting one?

This might make things more complicated, its just an idea off the top of my head.

On Star Tours - I wouldn't be too heartbroken if this lost fastpass. It's always a quick line when I visit.

- Brent

bradk
03-18-2005, 06:26 PM
that means you'd have to intermittently stop giving out FPs along the way.

the idea behind the FP system (and perhaps the genius of it) is that it considers how many people can ride on the attraction per hour and supplements the standby crowd with the fp crowd. after x amount of tickets for the first return window have been distributed, the system shifts the return window by 5 minutes in an attempt to exert a little force in trying to keep the ride's throughput the same as if there was no FP system to begin with.

when the return window exceeds park hours, the system considers the ride to be sold out. so it's quite possible that if you get a FP at 1 pm for a very busy attraction, that your return window may be late at night. which is why the system does let you obtain another FP after 2 hours have passed regardless.

if they increased the number of tickets per return window, FP lines would become expontentially longer as well. of course the use of 'late' fastpass doesn't help either.

SeansMom
03-18-2005, 06:28 PM
Now if you have AAA tickets or you stay at one of the Disneyland resort hotels and have hopper passes you can still get unlimited fast passe[QUOTE]

I didn't know if you stayed in a resort hotel you got unlimited fast passes. Does that hold true if you buy your tickets seperate from your hotel (as in not a package?)

bradk
03-18-2005, 06:32 PM
the answers are not anymore and no.

the only way to get an unlimited fastpass is to book a vacation (that's hotels and hoppers, inclusive) through the AAA travel agency. DTC used to offer this, but now it's an AAA exclusive.

however, DTC does exclusively offer Mickey's Toontown Madness through its packages.

Disney Vault
03-18-2005, 06:47 PM
I love the fastpass and would hate for them to get ride of it. However I think all the machines should be connected to the system because the only people who know about this (mostly locals and AP holder) are the ones who don't need the fastpass as much.

Darkbeer
03-18-2005, 10:15 PM
Checked Star Tours today... Networked

GRR was still a Stand Alone

Didn't have a chance to check Roger Rabbit...

Crazy4DL
03-18-2005, 11:10 PM
Checked Star Tours today... Networked

GRR was still a Stand Alone

Didn't have a chance to check Roger Rabbit...

Thanks for checking for all of us who are way too far away to check yet want to know all the little details for our planned trips to DL. This board is great for getting up to the minute info, etc.

AaronInCal
03-19-2005, 02:11 AM
It's interesting that in the guide you get at the Main Gates listing show times and such, it says Star Tours Fastpass is closed. Wonder why the change? I am guess because of expected crowds? Hopefully soon they will take out the Star Tours Fastpass since it's another ride that really doesn't need it. There is Buzz with Fastpass and soon Space Mt will be back with Fastpass. Maybe after Space Mt opens back up, then Star Tours Fastpass will soon go.

ToursbabeC3po
03-19-2005, 07:43 AM
It's interesting that in the guide you get at the Main Gates listing show times and such, it says Star Tours Fastpass is closed. Wonder why the change? I am guess because of expected crowds? Hopefully soon they will take out the Star Tours Fastpass since it's another ride that really doesn't need it. There is Buzz with Fastpass and soon Space Mt will be back with Fastpass. Maybe after Space Mt opens back up, then Star Tours Fastpass will soon go.
Disney was going to be really cheap and use the Star Tours fast pass for Buzz at one time and they are being cheap again by not updating the guide! I guess that is how they make their millions!
Toursbabe

The old man
03-19-2005, 08:21 AM

David I do understand you point ever so slightly....Instead we have APers like me and you who abuse the system and get several fast passes at onceused to average on extreme hot crowed days from 75 mins. to 120 mins.
Toursbabe
For the record I am not an APer. I can only afford to go once a year and then for only one day at DL & 3/4 day at DCA. I need to maximize my time in the park. I can't help that people don't do basic research. Should I also not be allowed to go at the park's opening since I get a jump on those who don't know this simple tip will save them hours of line waiting time later? Or that, at least in the old days, the left line is usually shorter? Is is unfair that I pay attention to the best place to stay with the shortest walk to the park? Or that I check websites such as this one for tips for viewing Fantasmic,etc?

Reminds me of the old Kurt Vonnegut story in which the smartest and the strongest had to wear special devices to reduce their intelligence, or weights to reduce their strength so that all people will be "equal." A must read story in "Welcome to The Monkey House."
David

cstephens
03-20-2005, 10:23 AM
Instead we have APers like me and you who abuse the system and get several fast passes at once.

If you want to characterize yourself as an abuser, please do speak only for yourself and not everyone who's an AP. I know many APs, myself included, who get a Fastpass occasionally for one ride or another. We'll get more than one Fastpass at a time if the system allows it, like if there's a non-networked ride or if it's between both parks, but if the system allows it, that's not abuse, and anyone can get more than one Fastpass in that case.

ToursbabeC3po
03-20-2005, 10:53 AM
If you want to characterize yourself as an abuser, please do speak only for yourself and not everyone who's an AP. I know many APs, myself included, who get a Fastpass occasionally for one ride or another. We'll get more than one Fastpass at a time if the system allows it, like if there's a non-networked ride or if it's between both parks, but if the system allows it, that's not abuse, and anyone can get more than one Fastpass in that case.

You need to read my WHOLE post and not just take out one line then you will understand why I feel fast pass is not a good ideal. And I would say 95% of APers have more then one fast past at a time I am sorry if you are the 5% that does not. Of course there is going to be an "exception" we are talking about thousands of people a day.
I don't dislike APers and I have stuck up for them in the past when I worked for the park for 10 years. They paid my paycheck!
It is unfair to those that came to the park once in a lifetime or rarely, that is the meaning of my WHOLE post. They get to go on little to nothing all day while repeat visitors get on 12 rides in a day because fast pass backs up the lines.
No one is supposed to know about the non-linked fast pass machines. Only people that come to message boards know about this and that is not the average guest. I found out today because so many people know they are going to link up almost all machines to the system. It has gotten out of control.
Toursbabe

SCUBAbe
03-20-2005, 11:03 AM

Last weekend, which was busy, the only fastpass we got was for buzz. The first time we rode it we stood in the line. The next day we got the fastpass. So, I agree not all AP holders abuse the fastpass. :)

cstephens
03-20-2005, 11:03 AM
And I would say 95% of APers have more then one fast past at a time

And what concrete information can you provide to back up your claim? I'm sure you'll understand if I don't accept this as fact just because you claim it to be so.

No one is supposed to know about the non-linked fast pass machines. Only people that come to message boards know about this and that is not the average guest.

I'll agree that it's not the average guest who comes to message boards, but Disney is also completely aware that non-linked Fastpass machines are discussed regularly on message boards. If you think it's unfair, then blame Disney - they shouldn't have any unlinked Fastpass machines.

And yes, there are lots of things discussed on message boards that give people advantages over those who don't read message boards - when to get the best seats for Fantasmic, where to find the best seats for the fireworks, how to best use the dining reservations line, etc.