PDA

View Full Version : Cheap motels across the street

Pages : [1] 2

Leash81
03-17-2005, 09:14 AM
Ok I have read the reviews section but I would like some more up to date feedback.
I am trying to find a motel on harbor as near to the shuttle area as I can get. I am looking for nothing fancy just so long as there are no bugs I will be happy. BF and I will be arriving in the late afternoon on July 16 and getting up terribly early on the 17 to try to get into Disneyland bafore they reach capacity and we will leave that night. So really we will sleep and shower and that is about it. We don't need breakfast or a pool or a shuttle.

I have stayed at a few of the motels but in doing price checks for those dates I am not happy with prices. We have PAP's so we could stay farther away and drive but I don't want to have to deal with the garage on the 17th. The best price I have found at a motel that I know is the Red Roof Inn on Disney Way for $70 and it is a good enough rate but if I can get closer I want to.

I know that HOJO will be a suggestion but I already checked and they are more than I want to pay. Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated! :D

CoasterChickie
03-17-2005, 09:21 AM
The Penny Sleper Inn is right near the HOJOs nd has rooms for $56 a night. There is no shuttle but I think there is breakfast included. Disneyland Forever just stayed there and he said it wasn't too bad.

bradk
03-17-2005, 09:25 AM
pennysleeper is $48 for that night on most of the travel sites.

redroof is $65

if you want less than hojo and within walking distance, if it were my money, i'd go for ramada maingate / saga for $76.

other than that, there might be one or 2 other hotels within that price range, but i wouldn't advocate them.

pennysleeper might be your best bet if you're willing to walk as much as you would from hojo (should be about a 7-10 minute walk)

Monte Cristo
03-17-2005, 09:41 AM
Brad -

Any experience with the Caurosel Inn and suites?

bradk
03-17-2005, 09:55 AM
well, to know me is to know that i've had no experience at all.

for hotel reviews, i rely on the reviews section on this site and tripadvisor.com. in my experience, reviews on tripadvisor are generally harsher than necessary, but that's also because i'm rather easygoing and adaptable so as long as it has its own toilet (i don't even require a bed), i'm happy. that said.

there's been a lot of discussion about carousel, most mixed, but overall positive because of its proximity to the gates and comparable rates. it might not be the most comfortable sleep in your life, but if all you need is a place to spend the night, i'd recommend it.

just be wary, they've appeared to overbook quite a bit, particularly for this week, so they've been bouncing people over to other hotels. usually this is a week before the actual check-in and i'd assume only during busy periods for the parks, but i might go as far as to suggest lining up reservations for a 2nd fallback hotel that you can cancel in time without penalities just in case.

Leash81
03-17-2005, 10:02 AM
I have heard some really bad things about pennysleeper and the ramada saga. Has anyone stayed there recently that can vouch for a bug free status?

Leash81
03-17-2005, 10:04 AM
In transit from Las Vegas to Anaheim via Car

Coaster, do you live in Vegas?

Darkbeer
03-17-2005, 10:08 AM
I referred someone to the Penny Sleeper, since it matched her needs "Cheap and close to the park", let me quote what she said when I asked how it was.... (She was there Saturday March 12th)...

The Penny Sleeper Inn was perfect for us because we were in that room from 4:30-7pm for a *nap* and then again from after 1am till 7am the next morning. If that's all anybody needs it for - I recommend it. There is a continental breakfast in the morning behind the office. (Coffee, muffins, cereal, milk, juice, danishes. They don't charge for milk like the Tropicanna.) In the past I have mostly stayed at the Tropicanna or Best Western Park Place Inn since they're right along the crosswalk. The walk to the hotel was about 5-7 minutes. Not too bad. The room itself isn't too impressive and the guys next door to us were drinking beer and talking loud and I pretty much heard them all night. But for a quick escape like this - I'd definitely stay there again. For a longer trip, I probably wouldn't. The staff was nice, my room was clean, there's plenty of parking. I'm actually glad you recommended it to me - it worked out great for us.

Hope that helps....

bradk
03-17-2005, 10:10 AM
Ramada Main Gate / Saga (NOT to be confused with the Ramada Limited):
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g29092-d78944-Reviews-Ramada_Inn_Maingate-Anaheim_California.html

Penny Sleeper:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g29092-d284618-Reviews-Penny_Sleeper_Inn-Anaheim_California.html

i wouldn't have recommended either without having seen very decent reviews on both. but use your own judgement.

Leash81
03-17-2005, 10:13 AM
That helps a lot Darkbeer since it is a lot cheaper at the Penny Sleeper. We will probably be in the room less than the lady you quoted. You see we will have just spent the previous week at DLR we will be getting home July 11 and are just going to be there for the anniversary. I really appreciate the suggestions.

brerbear77
03-17-2005, 11:11 AM
Leash- I am staying at the Penny Sleeper Inn in two weeks. We will be there for 3 nights and I will try and remember to post what it is like when I return. I had read some reviews that were not too great for this place but they seem to have gotten better over time. Maybe the Penny Sleeper has done some work. I will let you know what I think.

hangten
03-17-2005, 11:38 AM
We have stayed there over the years. We haven't been for a couple of years though. What we like about it is that it is right across from Disneyland, so it makes for an easy walk. It is or was the last time we were there clean. Nothing fancy. We just use the room for sleeping and showering so it fit our need perfectly. They also had a continental breakfast included in the room price. Anyone been to the Dessert Inn and Suites more recently?? We plan to stay there again in October.

srfantasmic
03-17-2005, 01:19 PM
Leash -

I stayed at Carousel Inn and Suites in Dec. 04. Sounds like you and I have similar tastes with hotels - just a place to shower/sleep that isn't filthy. I thought Carousel Inn was just fine for that.

bradk
03-17-2005, 01:26 PM
just to clarify, i don't believe carousel is available on the evening of july 16 (if it is, it was more expensive than hojo). i checked to see if any of the harbor blvd hotels were and out of those, which would be acceptable pricewise.

Dream Again
03-17-2005, 01:37 PM
Yeah, Carousel inn is really nice if you just want to sleep and shower.

TimBuk2
03-17-2005, 08:04 PM
just to clarify, i don't believe carousel is available on the evening of july 16 (if it is, it was more expensive than hojo). i checked to see if any of the harbor blvd hotels were and out of those, which would be acceptable pricewise.

i got lucky to obtain a 3-bedroom suite at Carousel Inn for July 16-17. but now reading some of the comments, i hope they don't push me to another location. i'll get there early to check in and pay for it in advance.

i even went there last October just to see the room, great view and the pool is the place to hang out for the fireworks (it's on the roof)

bradk
03-17-2005, 08:13 PM
i'll get there early to check in and pay for it in advance.

i even went there last October just to see the room, great view and the pool is the place to hang out for the fireworks (it's on the roof)

the people who are getting bumped are getting the notice like a week before. i don't know what i'd do if i showed up that day and was told i was being kicked elsewhere. so hopefully showing up early won't give you an advantage (no offense).

how is the fireworks view anyway? you don't happen to have any pictures do you? i'm trying to decide if it makes more sense for the first night when i get into town to just go to the roof with my camera and tripod and shoot from there. seems like it'd really be from the wrong angle (being perpendicular to the castle, no?)

SCUBAbe
03-17-2005, 08:14 PM

yes, and if you love screaming children and cluless parents it's the place to be. We watched them from the breakfast room. The PPH is a great place to watch the fireworks by the pool. they pipe the music in for the show. It was nice. :)

TimBuk2
03-17-2005, 08:22 PM
the people who are getting bumped are getting the notice like a week before. i don't know what i'd do if i showed up that day and was told i was being kicked elsewhere. so hopefully showing up early won't give you an advantage (no offense).

how is the fireworks view anyway? you don't happen to have any pictures do you? i'm trying to decide if it makes more sense for the first night when i get into town to just go to the roof with my camera and tripod and shoot from there. seems like it'd really be from the wrong angle (being perpendicular to the castle, no?)

i haven't been to the roof yet, but i'll probably check it out before July and let everyone know. i'm heading back to Orange County for a 6 month work deal, so i'll have plenty of time. i hope it's a good view. but you won't hear the music either, but for one night that's ok.

although, if you have a recorder take it to the park and record the music near a speaker and play it back from the hotel ;)

bradk
03-17-2005, 08:49 PM
yeah, i'm not worried about it. i've seen the plans for the show and i know to get the full effect you need to be in the hub anyway, so i was planning on being in the park on my first full day (sunday night) to see it, but i thought maybe it was worth getting some wider more distant shots the night before (since i'm afraid that even with my wide angle lens, i'd still be too close when in the park). the tradeoff is i was planning on using that first night to get some rides in as an early start.

DisneylandForever
03-17-2005, 09:13 PM
The Penny Sleper Inn is right near the HOJOs nd has rooms for $56 a night. There is no shuttle but I think there is breakfast included. Disneyland Forever just stayed there and he said it wasn't too bad.

I have stayed at every hotel on "the strip," and I can tell you the Penny Sleeper is not the worst. The beds are a little hard and the rooms can be musty, but I don't have particularly high standards for rooms since I spend so much time in the Park.

There are a few factors to consider, such as who you'll be staying with, how much you plan on using the hotel to relax, etc. I have been to DL every year since I've been alive so I have pretty much done it all. In your case it sounds like you and the BF will probably not need a super nice hotel, since you probably won't be doing too much hotel-lounging, and you won't be with kids.

Pound for pound, my favorite hotel is the HoJo. Nice rooms, nice property and friendly staff. The Ramada Maingate (Saga) is very nice, and I can't imagine why it would get "terrible" reviews. The Carousel is nice as well, as is the Anaheim Desert Inn. The Park Vue Inn and the Best Western Park Place are the absolute closest, just in case you wanna save a few feet (no pun intended)!

I would advise against the Red Roof. A bit too far to walk. The Anaheim Plaza is so-so, and usually reasonably priced. I haven't stayed at the Tropicana since their remodel, and when I did I didn't care for it. The Best Inn was ironically named, since it's probably the worst hotel on the strip (although I haven't stayed there since the name change - it's the Del Sol now, I believe). The Fairfield is really nice. Love the Candy Cane also.

I should stop rambling. As far as staying on the cheap (and close), my advice is to avoid the Red Roof, mainly because of the walk. The Penny Sleeper is never my first choice but again you could do worse. Do avoid the Best Inn/Del Sol also. When you narrow it down to two or three choices let us know (or PM me), and I'll give you my honest opinion.

PS - Leash, in regards to your second post, I have never seen a bug at the Penny Sleeper or the Ramada Maingate (Saga). Out of those two the Saga wins hands down.

TimBuk2
03-18-2005, 04:12 AM
yeah, i'm not worried about it. i've seen the plans for the show and i know to get the full effect you need to be in the hub anyway, so i was planning on being in the park on my first full day (sunday night) to see it, but i thought maybe it was worth getting some wider more distant shots the night before (since i'm afraid that even with my wide angle lens, i'd still be too close when in the park). the tradeoff is i was planning on using that first night to get some rides in as an early start.

I think my fav viewing spot in the park is on the between the matterhorn and the tea cups. there are trash cans next to the line chain on matterhorn, you can see tinkerbell begin her flight, and there aren't as many trees in the way of the show.

it's been so funny to see people look back for tinkerbell at the beginning of the show and then startled when the first one blasts off behind them, they jump hard.

i'll have to see it from the hub so the castle is in view also. but in july we may have to get a spot 2-3 hours ahead, just like some do for fantasmic. maybe not.

Leash81
03-18-2005, 09:05 AM
I have stayed at every hotel on "the strip," and I can tell you the Penny Sleeper is not the worst. The beds are a little hard and the rooms can be musty, but I don't have particularly high standards for rooms since I spend so much time in the Park.

There are a few factors to consider, such as who you'll be staying with, how much you plan on using the hotel to relax, etc. I have been to DL every year since I've been alive so I have pretty much done it all. In your case it sounds like you and the BF will probably not need a super nice hotel, since you probably won't be doing too much hotel-lounging, and you won't be with kids.

Pound for pound, my favorite hotel is the HoJo. Nice rooms, nice property and friendly staff. The Ramada Maingate (Saga) is very nice, and I can't imagine why it would get "terrible" reviews. The Carousel is nice as well, as is the Anaheim Desert Inn. The Park Vue Inn and the Best Western Park Place are the absolute closest, just in case you wanna save a few feet (no pun intended)!

I would advise against the Red Roof. A bit too far to walk. The Anaheim Plaza is so-so, and usually reasonably priced. I haven't stayed at the Tropicana since their remodel, and when I did I didn't care for it. The Best Inn was ironically named, since it's probably the worst hotel on the strip (although I haven't stayed there since the name change - it's the Del Sol now, I believe). The Fairfield is really nice. Love the Candy Cane also.

I should stop rambling. As far as staying on the cheap (and close), my advice is to avoid the Red Roof, mainly because of the walk. The Penny Sleeper is never my first choice but again you could do worse. Do avoid the Best Inn/Del Sol also. When you narrow it down to two or three choices let us know (or PM me), and I'll give you my honest opinion.

PS - Leash, in regards to your second post, I have never seen a bug at the Penny Sleeper or the Ramada Maingate (Saga). Out of those two the Saga wins hands down.

Thanks so much for the advice. It will be just me and my boyfriend and we are not picky. I would say we will be in the room for about 9 hours total and most of that time will be spent asleep. I checked on the Saga and the price was higher than Red Roof. I know the Red Roof is kind of far, we have stayed there once before, however we will be spending just one day in the park so I don't think it will be too bad. RIght now I am trying to decide between the Red Roof and Penny Sleeper. A lot of these posts have eased my fears about the Penny Sleeper and it's potential insect problem, I am very allergic to a lot of bugs and things and it would suck to have a problem when we are trying to get to the park.
I am no good with directions as far as what is north or west of what so can anyone tell me what motels the Penny Sleeper is in between so I can try to get a bearing on the distance. And while you're at it can someone tell me what directions are where. For instance if you are in the hub and facing the castle which way are you facing?
Thanks to everyone for the help.

bradk
03-18-2005, 09:21 AM
And while you're at it can someone tell me what directions are where. For instance if you are in the hub and facing the castle which way are you facing?

north

Darkbeer
03-18-2005, 09:21 AM
Basically, the Penny Sleeper is on Manchester, facing I-5...

The easiest way to get to the hotel...

Walk to the HoJo's, then follow the road towards the freeway until you run into the Penny Sleeper.