PDA

View Full Version : DTD Build-a-Bear

arpinl
03-17-2005, 05:42 AM
I am within driving distance of two Build-a-Bear locations at home. Is the store in DTD special enough (i.e. *Disney* enough) to warrant a visit?

MsYumiBr
03-17-2005, 06:02 AM
I am within driving distance of two Build-a-Bear locations at home. Is the store in DTD special enough (i.e. *Disney* enough) to warrant a visit?

It is worth a walk through at least. It's not far from the trams and you have to visit the World of Disney store anyway. Our Build-a-Bear store (San Diego) is VERY popular and has a 6 month waiting list for parties. DTD's is a very large store with 2 floors from what I could see. We didn't stop in just because every time we were in DTD we were on our way to some reservation or show. I wanted to see if they had any character outfits like mickey mouse or minnie or even character hats. That would be cute. Has anyone been there?

bradk
03-17-2005, 06:02 AM
supposedly the DTD store has accessories and clothing only available at that store, but unless there's additional things i'm not aware of, they seem to be available on buildabear.com (the disney costumes, the DTD shirt, etc.). so that's always been the case with BABW, that not all merchandise is available at all stores but it is available on the website.

i'd be half tempted to go just because i feel it means something more buying in person than it does off the website, but if you're pressed for time or that doesn't interest you, you can probably get by with skipping it.

bradk
03-17-2005, 06:04 AM
this is the disney stuff available on the website and the DTD store. if anyone is aware of additional disney merchandise at the store that isn't on the website (which i doubt), i'd love to know.

http://www.buildabear.com/shop/browsecategory.aspx?Category=Disney

also, the DTD shirt on the website allows for embroidery. the last time i've been to BABW (which admittedly has been a couple of years or so), embroidery was not available at the store itself. you had to place an order for it.

MsYumiBr
03-17-2005, 06:18 AM
Ohhh, howwww, cuuuuute! I want the Tinkerbell one!

Hakuna Makarla
03-17-2005, 07:15 AM
Bradk, are the same outfits in disneyland and also the same price? they are adorable!!

bradk
03-17-2005, 07:18 AM
yes, they should be. what i don't know is if the downtown disney store offers additional clothing that the internet site doesn't, but i doubt it.

Arnie
03-17-2005, 07:57 AM
yes, they should be. what i don't know is if the downtown disney store offers additional clothing that the internet site doesn't, but i doubt it.

When I was there in December they had two mousketeer type costumes. They came with a Mickey T-Shirt ( I can't rember if it said Disneyland on it or had the Mickey Mouse Club Logo), A Mickey Mouse Ears Hat, Mickey Hand gloves. There was the traditional colors (Black Ears), and the gril style (Pink Ears I think). It was around $14 dollars or so.

bradk
03-17-2005, 08:12 AM
awesome to know thanks. i'd have to imagine they still offered the ears. it'd be crazy not to. i searched the website but didn't find any on there (how searching for 'ears' results in a set of 'days of the week' panties is beyond me). i suppose it's worth a call to them to find out if they still have them.

DopeyWife
03-17-2005, 08:14 AM
Do annual passholders get a discount?

bradk
03-17-2005, 08:24 AM
at least at some point, AP holders got $5 off $25 or more, subject to unspecified conditions.

nvmom
03-17-2005, 09:11 AM
We were there last Sat. The have all the Disney character outfits and the two Mickey/with the ears outfits mentioned above. I actually expected all the Disney stuff to cost more than it did.

It is a 2 story store, but we didn't go upstairs. Anyone know what's up there?

nvmom

MsYumiBr
03-17-2005, 10:36 AM
We were there last Sat. The have all the Disney character outfits and the two Mickey/with the ears outfits mentioned above. I actually expected all the Disney stuff to cost more than it did.

It is a 2 story store, but we didn't go upstairs. Anyone know what's up there?

nvmom

You can see a stairwell and a fluffing station from the upstairs window as you pass. I've never been in the store *yet* though.

KarenW2
03-17-2005, 10:41 AM
Will they have small GOLD ears, for the 50th birthday??! :D

Last time we stayed at the GCH, they offered a special deal for hotel guests. A special BABW "experience", with special pre-opening entrance time, special price, a chance to learn about the process & BYOB (build your own bear). They only allowed a certain number of guests at a time, so this was a real plus, since all the other times I've looked in, the place has been a zoo - literally!!

I wanted to do it, but it's only offered on certain days and the next day it was available was the day we were leaving. I really would like to try it the next time we get a chance to do it with the special deal.

bradk
03-17-2005, 10:56 AM
i've rarely been to a BABW where it hasn't been busy, but I imagine DTD would be even crazier.

my suggestion is if you have a BABW near you, go there first and get your friends and take them along on the trip with you, then at the store, all you need to do is buy the disney outfits.

that should take considerably less time since most of the waiting is done on line waiting to getting them stuffed in my experience. otherwise, on a weekend, at a NORMAL store with one or two stuffing machines, i wouldn't expect spending less than an hour to an hour and a half there.