PDA

View Full Version : First trip, must-see suggestions?

Pages : [1] 2

Aus Mousefans Buddy
03-16-2005, 08:42 PM
Ok Folks,

We've never been to DL and are going to be there for the B-Day Celebration.

I was just curious what you would say are the MUST SEES?

Thanks in advance.

Doni

Dream Again
03-16-2005, 08:46 PM
Hmmm...personally I love all of the little kiddie rides in Fantasyland. My fave out of them all is Peter Pans Flight. Splash Mountain is definitley a must. Snow White show is nice if you get tired and need a rest. Fantasmic! is probably the best show IMO. Space Mountain will be open again...TIKI ROOM! Not all like it but I really do. Indiana Jones...Pirates of the Carribean.

Deogge's Mom
03-16-2005, 09:06 PM
Fantasmic!

POTC

Tiki Room - must have a Dole Whip.

It's a Small World - only do this once.

Haunted Mansion

Those are just my top five must dos. I could come up with another dozen, I'm sure.

Crazy4DL
03-16-2005, 09:10 PM
Ok Folks,

Thanks in advance.

Doni

Splash Mountain

Peter Pan

POTC

Haunted Mansion

Hang out on Main Street

Watch the fireworks, Fantasmic and Aladdin

Wonder through some of the shops

Eat some yummy treats :D

sdfilmcritic
03-17-2005, 01:09 AM
Must See: City Hall for a Birthday Sticker!!!

Beyond that I recommend Indiana Jones and Matterhorn for the adults, and all the Fantasyland rides for the kids.

Fozzie
03-17-2005, 02:20 AM
Top Five Not To Be Missed Attractions:

Pirates

Indiana Jones

Haunted Mansion

Big Thunder

Fantasmic

Hakuna Makarla
03-17-2005, 02:23 AM
heres mine for this trip :)

Things to do in the parks

1. go to peter pan,

pinocio

mad tea party

alice in wonderland

indiana jones

big thunder railroad ( do the goat trick)

tot

tiki room,

have a dole whip

have a monte cristo

get a pressed penny or 2

splash

get picture with carector

honey I shrunk the audiance

its tough to be a bug

mr toads wild ride

reservations at the blu byou is for 12:20 behind pirates of the carabean

reservations at the rain forest is 7:00 saturday confirmation number is #19 ( down town disney)

go on haunted mansion and pirates while fantasmic are playing!!

Current list for fast pass

Autopia
Buzz Lightyear Astro Blaster (BLAB, love that
Roger Rabbit - Stand-Alone (only one in DL at present)
Indiana Jones
Big Thunder
Splash Mountain (when it opens next week)

DCA

Soarin'
Tower of Terror
Grizzly River Run (Stand-Alone)
Screamin'
Mulholland Madness

funnel cake at Strips, Dips, N' Chips at paradise pier

rentayenta
03-17-2005, 06:31 AM
Hi and welcome. :)

Must dos/sees for me include:

Tiki Room
The Matterhorn at night
Pirates of the Caribbean
Haunted Mansion
Peter Pan

Space Mountain

It's a Small World at night.

Lots of character interaction.

sdfilmcritic
03-17-2005, 06:39 AM
It's a Small World at night.And this is where the children drop off area is located in the parks. ;) Add another vote to any of the roller coasters (Big Thunder, Matterhorn, etc) to be ridden at night.

Tutter
03-17-2005, 06:52 AM
I think just being there and seeing the magic all around you. Whatever you do it will be wonderful. The biggest worry in your life at that point being, should we see the parade now or see the later one and go on Indiana Jones now? :D bliss

tod
03-17-2005, 07:52 AM
Peter Pan and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride are popular favorites that have remained popular because of word-of-mouth and memories. They aren't big and flashy, but they're great fun.

Story Book Land at sunset. It's too bright during the day and too dark at night.

Snow White's Wishing Well (just east of the Castle) is worth a look.

The beauty and fun of Disneyland is that there are little picturesque things all over the park, just tucked away waiting to be found, like Snow White's Wishing Well, or the little characters cranking away at the popcorn machines. Keep your eyes open and don't stop looking.

Sometimes they have fun at the guests' expense. :~D There's a set of restrooms across from the Matterhorn that are shaped like U's, with entrances at both ends. After you've finished using the restroom, you may go out a different door from the one you came in. Another reason to keep your eyes open...

--t

AprilShowers
03-17-2005, 07:59 AM
Don't miss the parades! We went to DL only once, a year ago......After a very full day and a migraine, I was ready to head back to the room. We were crossing Main St. and a CM opened this little gate for us and said "Come in here & watch the parade!". I didn't want to, but we had a great spot, and the kids were excited.
Well, let me just say that parade made me so darned happy that my (very bad) headache went away COMPLETELY! (I read somewhere that raised levels of adrenaline or seratonin can do this)
We ended up staying around and doing a few more things that evening before heading back.
It IS the happiest place on earth! :D

nvmom
03-17-2005, 10:09 AM
Any parade or character celebration (we loved the Elec Parade at CA)

Aladdin

Everything in Fantasyland (although Mr Toad was closed, we skipped Snow White & my kids didn't care about the carasoul)

Go to a character meal

Fantasmic! (warning, this show is amazing, but it is very loud & intense... it was way more than I was expecting, and scared my 7 yr old to death :) )

Have a great, great time!!

nvmom

srfantasmic
03-17-2005, 10:13 AM
It's important to know what you'd like to see. But I think it's even more important knowing WHEN to see them. I always plan out my trip so that I can best avoid lines. Here's a few tips:

1. Get there EARLY! - at least 1/2 hour before the park opens. In the first 2-3 hours that the park is open you will be able to ride as much as the rest of the day.

2. Hit the popular rides first. The longest lines form at Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain (if it's open), Matterhorn. The Fantasyland rides fill up quickly too. If you have young kids, I'd hit Fantasyland first. If you have VERY young kids, I'd hit Peter Pan first. The first thing we took my 2 year old nephew on was Mr.Toad's Wild Ride. He spent the remainder of the trip convinced that Disneyland was the scariest place on earth.

3. Use FastPasses.

4. See the second showing of Fantasmic. During the first show, hit the Haunted Mansion or Pirates of the Caribbean. Then find a place to watch the second show.

5. Relax and have fun. Although the first 4 tips are to save you time and give you more bang for your buck, remember to soak in the atmosphere of the park. Architecture, music, characters, etc...are all there to make it a fun experience.

Here's my list of favorite rides in order (I'll include DCA)

1. Fantasmic - If I could be anywhere right now it would be watching Fantasmic.
2. Splash Mountain
3. Tower of Terror!!!
4. California Screamin'
5. Matterhorn at night.
6. Haunted Mansion
7. Peter Pan's Flight
8. Soarin' Over California
9. Indiana Jones
10. Pirates of the Caribbean.

Enjoy!!!

Terri
03-17-2005, 10:45 AM
My list of must see's...

(and I will be doing these over Memorial Day Weekend!!!)

Disneyland

rides

Everything in Fantasyland! (if you are going multiple days, pick one day and head straight to Fantasyland as it gets real crowded, real fast)
Materhorn
Splash Mountain
Autopia
Indiana Jones
Jungle Cruise
Tiki Room
Star Tours
Buzz
Haunted Mansion
Pirates of the Carribean
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Monorail
It's A Small World

To See

Snow White Wishing Well
Walk under the railroad tracks to enter main street USA
see the Walt & Mickey statue
Tom Sawyers Island
Listen to jazz music in New Orleans Square
Watch the time announced on It's A Small World

California Adventure

rides

Tower of Terror
Soarin' over California
Grizzly Rapids
California Screaming
Muppets Show
Bug show
Aladdin Show

Food? Eat just about wherever and whatever you can!!! :D

WITron
03-18-2005, 12:43 AM
2. Hit the popular rides first. The longest lines form at Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain (if it's open), Matterhorn. The Fantasyland rides fill up quickly too. If you have young kids, I'd hit Fantasyland first. If you have VERY young kids, I'd hit Peter Pan first. The first thing we took my 2 year old nephew on was Mr.Toad's Wild Ride. He spent the remainder of the trip convinced that Disneyland was the scariest place on earth.

When we went last April our dd was 2 and we took her on Mr. Toads and the thing that she always comments on is the pic of her in the car out front and someone's butt sticking out, not bare, in the pic. She loved Dumbo and we rode that several times before the line got too long. Now when she sees it in comercials and such she says that she wants to ride it again.

RemainSeatedPlease
03-18-2005, 08:19 AM
Another good thing to do is...when you first get in the park, go fastpass something, like indiana jones or splash mountain, then go on another ride, or even the one you fastpassed(if the line is short) you'll be happy when you have that fastpass in your hand for later when the lines get longer ;)...almost forgot, grab a churro or some yummy popcorn!

wishIwasthe_Mouse
03-18-2005, 09:25 AM
i suggest checking out the jumping fish in the pond over by dig thunder mountain. there is a walk way that takes you into fantasy land over there and as you cross the bridge over the water heading into fantasy land look ant the mine car about to fall into the water and you just might see the jumping fish....... i love the jumping fish :~D

Aus Mousefans Buddy
03-26-2005, 09:27 AM
Thanks for all the GREAT info all.

But..........

What is a "fastpass"?

Family5LovesDisney
03-26-2005, 10:09 AM
Ok Folks,

Thanks in advance.

Doni
The Aladdin Show at California Adventure
Indiana Jones
Pirates of the Caribbean
It's A Small World
Haunted Mansion
Snow White Enchanted Musical
Just about any ride in Fantasyland

jon80flt
03-26-2005, 12:08 PM
Thanks for all the GREAT info all.

But..........

What is a "fastpass"?

Fastpass is a system whereby you get a ticket that allows you to ride the attraction at a later time, without having to wait in the outside queue... many times this cuts off a significant amount of wait time. Othertimes, the fastpass line is just as long as the "standby" line.

Generally, there are times printed on your fastpass...you cannot use the fastpass before the beginning time printed on the fastpass... you can ignore the ending time on the fastpass, because a fastpass doesn't expire, as long as it is the same day as printed on the fastpass.

For example, let's say you approach Indiana Jones at 10:00am, and the sign at the entrance estimates your "standby" wait time to be 45mins and the Fastpass wait time is 15mins. You choose, instead, to head to the left of the ride's entrance to the Fastpass distribution machines. You insert your Passport (the same one you purchased to enter the park that day) into the machine and out pops a Fastpass that says to come back between 12:05 and 1:05pm.

Now go and ride something else, have lunch, do some shopping, etc.

At 1:30pm you find yourself back infront of the entrance to Indiana Jones, and now the sign shows the "Standby" wait time is 90mins, while the Fastpass wait is still 15mins... since it is after the start time on your Fastpass (12:05), you can enter the ride through the Fastpass line and virtually walk right onto the ride!

There are some limitations to Fastpasses... you cannot use them before their start time, and you cannot hold another Fastpass for another (or the same) ride until either: 1) the starttime on your first Fastpass has passed, or 2 hours has passed since you got your previous Fastpass. There are some exceptions to this, because some Fastpass machines are not networked to the other machines, but you never know which ones are stand-alone and which ones are networked... you can always try to get additional Fastpasses before the other ones you hold are "expired", the worst case is that you get a "This is NOT a Valid FASTPASS" ticket out of the machine... sometimes, you get a Valid Fastpass!

Good Luck and Have Fun!
Jon :fez:

SCUBAbe
03-26-2005, 12:19 PM
my list when everything is open...not in any particular order:

DL:
space mountain
splash mountain
Indy
Matterhorn
BTTMR
....maybe buzz, because it's so new

DCA:
ca. screamin
Mohalland madness
TOT
sun wheel
GRR

when time allows I will do the other stuff. :) (we usually hit POTC and HM because the lines are so short. :))

mraw
03-26-2005, 12:27 PM
Can anyone tell me how long the Snow White Show is and if it's worth a viewing? I'm attempting to put in a break in the RideMax Matrix for it...
Thanks!

Family5LovesDisney
03-26-2005, 01:27 PM
Can anyone tell me how long the Snow White Show is and if it's worth a viewing? I'm attempting to put in a break in the RideMax Matrix for it...
Thanks! It was pretty short. Not more then 30 minutes I believe. But don't quote me on that. There are a lot of experts on this board that can probably give you the exact time! I just saw it last week! It was very good and nice for a break. You could even eat lunch while you watch it. We saw the 12:30 show. It's not anything like the Aladdin Show over at California Adventure but we did enjoy it. The special effects for the MIRROR were outstanding! I felt that it was well worth watching! It is always good to have a break sometimes between rides. Ride Max normally gives you an afternoon break whether you schedule one or not so you can probably work in the show without a problem! We found that we were ahead of schedule with our Ride Max and able to get in some extra rides we had not scheduled in. We had time for the Snow White Show and Honey, I Shrunk the Audience!

mraw
03-26-2005, 02:00 PM
It was pretty short. Not more then 30 minutes I believe. But don't quote me on that. There are a lot of experts on this board that can probably give you the exact time! I just saw it last week! It was very good and nice for a break. You could even eat lunch while you watch it. We saw the 12:30 show. It's not anything like the Aladdin Show over at California Adventure but we did enjoy it. The special effects for the MIRROR were outstanding! I felt that it was well worth watching! It is always good to have a break sometimes between rides. Ride Max normally gives you an afternoon break whether you schedule one or not so you can probably work in the show without a problem! We found that we were ahead of schedule with our Ride Max and able to get in some extra rides we had not scheduled in. We had time for the Snow White Show and Honey, I Shrunk the Audience!

Thanks for the tips. I have my RideMax itinerary, and I can't wait to use it...