PDA

View Full Version : Funnel cakes?

Pages : [1] 2

wendyxo
03-16-2005, 06:09 PM
Does Disneyland sell funnel cakes? If so, where? Are they any good? I am planning a trip and I started craving funnel cakes from Knott's but I am not desperate enough to go there for one. Thanks!

stan4d_steph
03-16-2005, 06:16 PM
Yes they do, but they're not freshly made. You're better off trying some beignets from Ralph Brennans in DTD for your fried dough fix.

TOTFan
03-16-2005, 06:39 PM
I got a fresh made funnel cake at Strips, Dips, N' Chips at paradise pier in DCA. Watched the guy make it for me.

stan4d_steph
03-16-2005, 07:20 PM
I got a fresh made funnel cake at Strips, Dips, N' Chips at paradise pier in DCA. Watched the guy make it for me.That's good to know. I didn't know they made them there. Is there anywhere in DL that does it? As far as I know theirs are just reheated.

sdfilmcritic
03-17-2005, 01:19 AM
The Mint Julep Bar in front of the NOS Train Station sells them.

But my vote goes for the funnel cakes at Knott's Berry Farm, where it is made fresh on the premises every day.

Hakuna Makarla
03-17-2005, 01:55 AM
OMGoodness you now picked my topic!! I would love to try these and have wanted to for 3 years! I will go to chips and dips and try them and then tell you how they were :)

TOTFan
03-17-2005, 08:06 AM
They make them fresh at the Mint Juliep Stand

Mukta
03-17-2005, 08:07 AM
The Tomorrowland Terrace makes them too.

stan4d_steph
03-17-2005, 08:09 AM
They make them fresh at the Mint Juliep StandFresh as in there's a deep frier there and the batter is poured in?

TOTFan
03-17-2005, 08:26 AM
How else would they make them? Of course they need the deep fryer.

SANDYMARIE
03-17-2005, 12:16 PM
They make them fresh at the Mint Juliep Stand

Thanks for letting me know.........I must add to my list of eats!!!!!!!
TTFN :)

sdfilmcritic
03-17-2005, 11:47 PM
Fresh as in there's a deep frier there and the batter is poured in?That's what I was thinking. The one at Knott's Berry Farm you can see the deep fryers sitting in the background and the food team working on the batches of Funnel Cakes. At the Mint Julep Bar all I ever see the food people prepare in front of me is drinks. Otherwise the go back to the kitchen for food and I can't see what's going on in the kitchen.

stan4d_steph
03-18-2005, 05:14 AM
Yes. I've never had one from there, but other people who have say that they were lukewarm at best, and not all that tasty. That's what led me to believe that perhaps they were making them ahead, instead of freshly frying as they are ordered.

TOTFan
03-18-2005, 05:31 AM
Why don't you ask then?

stan4d_steph
03-18-2005, 05:41 AM
Why don't you ask then?Good suggestion. I'll do that next time I'm in town. Hopefully someone else will get the answer before then though, since it will probably be many months from now.

VickiC
03-18-2005, 07:26 AM
As a former Ghost Town Foods employee I have to agree with those who say KBF makes a better funnel cake. I use to fry those up fresh, with boysenberry topping..mmmmmmm.

dlandnut
03-18-2005, 11:30 AM
Is it possible to eat funnel cakes with some sort of chocolate topping, and is it offered? Chocolate vs. fruit. Hmmmm, let's see..... :)

JosieGirl71
03-18-2005, 01:16 PM
When we were in SoCal in December, we went to Six Flags Magic Mountain and the only good part of that day was the funnel cake! I like mine with just powdered sugar on it. Mmmmmmmm...

mkcbunny
03-28-2005, 06:45 PM
It's as much about the fresh batter as it is about the deep fryer; that's a key point.

When we were last at DCA two seasons ago, my funnel-cake-obsessed friend went to the Paradise Pier funnel-cake location and they were not, at that time anyway, making them from fresh batter. The cakes were pre-made, frozen if I recall correctly, and then cooked on location. I'm not even sure they were deep-fried, but that was my impression. She didn't even get one, as she wanted the real, fresh batter. [At the time, I wasn't in the funnel-cake cult and didn't understand the importance of the fresh batter.] In any event, even if they are deep-fried, they won't taste right if they aren't made from batter.

Last year, we went to WDW for the first time and found fresh-made-hot-on-the-spot batter funnel cakes at Magic Kingdom. They were so hot you had to wait for them to cool and covered with powdered sugar. SO GOOD! I highly recommend the MK funnel cakes to anyone who travels out east. That said, we went to WDW again this January and were dismayed to learn that funnel cake locations are diminishing about WDW. We met a funnel-cake-loving Cast Member who even called around to the other parks to find one for us. In the end, Magic Kingdom was the only place left that had them ... so we made a special trip back there on our last day before catching the plane home.

Can anyone confirm absolutely that there are fresh-batter cakes anywhere at DLR, vs. frozen dough that's just fried? I am going in May and would love to find the real thing.

Thanks,
Mary

mkcbunny
03-28-2005, 06:47 PM
I got a fresh made funnel cake at Strips, Dips, N' Chips at paradise pier in DCA. Watched the guy make it for me.

Was it made with batter?

Wendi
03-28-2005, 06:59 PM
I'm ashamed to admit this... I've never had a funnel cake, and I'm not even sure what they are. Is it like a doughnut or something? TBH, it sounds a little yucky, deep fried batter... but if it's like a doughnut I'd probably try one...

sdfilmcritic
03-28-2005, 07:01 PM
I'm ashamed to admit this... I've never had a funnel cake, and I'm not even sure what they are. Is it like a doughnut or something? TBH, it sounds a little yucky, deep fried batter... but if it's like a doughnut I'd probably try one...It pretty much is like a doughnut. But instead of it being a tire shaped peice of dough it looks like a plate of dough spaghetti with fruit topping or powdered sugar on top instead of spaghetti sauce.

mkcbunny
03-28-2005, 07:39 PM
I've never had a funnel cake, and I'm not even sure what they are. Is it like a doughnut or something?

Here's a picture of the funnel cake at Magic Kingdom:
http://nakedlunchbox.com/WDW2004/images/mk_dessert2.jpg

DCA Dot
03-28-2005, 08:04 PM
It's hard for me to believe that they would sell a frozen/reheated funnel cake. I always assumed that they were made fresh having eaten them at other theme parks and at the State Fair.

I love funnel cakes and can someone find out soon if they make them fresh anywhere in the DLR? Last that I heard is that they made them at Club Buzz. Is this true? All of this talk is making me want one now! ;)

sdfilmcritic
03-28-2005, 08:11 PM
It's hard for me to believe that they would sell a frozen/reheated funnel cake. I always assumed that they were made fresh having eaten them at other theme parks and at the state fair.It's all funnel cake blaspemy! Give us the fresh made stuff!