PDA

View Full Version : What is the closest beach to DL and how far is it?

slanders
03-16-2005, 02:51 PM
Thanks in advance....

:fez:

Disneyphile
03-16-2005, 02:58 PM
Huntington Beach is pretty close and nice. It's south of DLR. :)

millionairegirl
03-16-2005, 03:02 PM
The beach is about 20 minutes away on freeways without traffic. You can also take Harbor all the way down to Newport, but that can take an hour with all the lights, but it's impossible to get lost.

Darkbeer
03-16-2005, 03:06 PM
Most would say Huntington Beach...

To get there, take Beach Blvd (California 39 south) to the Ocean

Or you could head to Seal Beach/Bolsa Chica State Beach, that is actually closer (about 16 miles versus 17 miles for Huntington Beach State Beach), but the directions are harder, and more chance of traffic.

BooBooFett
03-19-2005, 08:46 AM
Huntington is slightly closer, but I'd recommend Seal Beach first. I've lived in both towns. Huntington has more things to do for teens and young adults - it's always packed and has a carnival atmosphere, kind of Venice Beach lite. A burger at Ruby's at the end of the pier is always a good bet. (assuming another waterspout doesn't take it out to sea)

Seal Beach is more of an old fashioned beach town. A stroll down Main Street is pretty reminiscent of Main Street, DL (but with fewer people) It's a better beach for younger children, especially if they want to walk along the sand and dip their toes in the water. No crowds, clean beach, relatively calm water. For a fun casual lunch, check out the River's End Cafe, which is right on the beach at the rivermouth, several blocks north of the pier. Lots of places to eat along Main Street as well.

My current favorite beach town is San Clemente (also my current residence, so I may be biased ;) ) It's the farthest - take the 5 fwy south all the way to the end of Orange County. It's about a 45 minute drive from Disneyland. Our main street is Del Mar, which curves down to the beach and pier. If you have any surfers in your group, the south end of San Clemente is THE place to go, as it is home to Trestles, a world class surf spot. You'll know if you've gone too far - you'll hit Camp Pendleton.

Tutter
03-19-2005, 09:00 AM
My current favorite beach town is San Clemente (also my current residence, so I may be biased ;) )

As an unbiased visitor I would also agree with you though. San Clemente is a beautiful place and well worth a visit if people have time.