PDA

View Full Version : My weekend highlights from 5 days at DLR

Pages : [1] 2

disney jones
03-16-2005, 11:18 AM
Here are my 12 highlights from our 5-day trip over the weekend:

In the Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki Room - we made it to three shows here and consumed more than our fair share of Dole Whips Floats and several Dole Whips. The highlight was seeing it with The Tinker Bells, 4Walt and the Chicklets Sunday night after MA. The show is exactly the same, but everything visually looks fantastically fresh and vibrant. We got one souvenir Tiki vase/mug here that will be pretty nice for holding flowers for Mrs. Jones.

Buzz Lightyear’s Astro Blasters – this became an instant classic. The visuals are very stimulating and the girls and I went on it 5 or 6 times all told. We started with one sled, but in the end, all three of us insisted on having our own laser so Zoë started riding by herself. We never stopped to email pictures since the lines were long but this ride met its high expectations.

New Characters – we were able to get some pictures with the girls with several new characters we hadn’t caught yet. Aladdin, Monsters Inc. Mike, Gepeto, Turk, two mice from Cinderalla, Mary Poppins in her dark nanny outfit along with Bert and a Penguin too. We also got a better picture with Wendy, and with Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn, and Merlin. We now have pictures of the girls with 73 characters I think, plus a lot of them like Mickey and Goofy in different outfits.

Mickey and Friends at Ariel’s Grotto Character Breakfast – yes, the meal is overpriced, but the girls had a lot of fun with the characters and I got some more pics of them with Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Chip and Dale, Donald, and Pluto in sailor outfits.

Indiana Jones – this trip was also centered on Indy. Zoë had three rides total for the first time ever. I hadn’t ridden it in several years myself and had forgotten how much fun it is. Zoë took it pretty good the first ride, but covered her ears due to the noise. The second and third times she pretty much had her head down and eyes closed the whole way, but wanted to ride it some more the last day too, but we never got another opportunity. Sally rode with us once while her Mom watched Syd, the first time we rode it, Coaster took Syd and PoTC and Tarzan’s Tree House, and the last time Coaster and her entourage watched Syd while waiting for Fantasmic. Our main souvenirs from the trip were from Indy – we got the 10th Anniversary Pin, the ride t-shirts with Mickey as Indy, and a Sphinx ring and a pair of snake sunglasses for the Big Kids (aka, the step-kids).

Meeting other Padders – we can’t thank for Coaster enough for offering her hospitality (and for rentamomma who bore the brunt of it) all weekend. The girls really loved hangin’ with the Chicklets, and Javanod and DLF are great guys. The Marox3 family weren’t Really Bad Eggs at all, they were great fun, and I’m confident when all is said and done, little Marox3 will own Buzz’s AB highest score ever! Sally and her mom her great fun and a great help as well. The Hook’s Point Dinner, ToT, GRR, IASW, the Tiki Room and watching Fantasmic with all of them were definitely the high points of the entire trip.

Doheny Beach – while not too close to DLR, the price is right and hearing the surf hit the shore each night was very relaxing after the long days at DLR.

A Bug’s Land – even with the two girls, we hadn’t spent much time in here the past nine months, but we did the tour again this trip and really enjoyed it. We found the one four-leaf clover in the canopy and rode all the rides, including the bumper cars for the first time ever. While the rides aren’t overly stimulating or fun for adults, the themeing is worth the trip in there, and its one of the cooler spots in DCA.

The Music – we caught more music this time in New Orleans Square and Main Street than ever before. Anyone who goes should take the time to listen to the music and see the sets every possible opportunity. Being there over 5 days this trip afforded the opportunity to stop and listen.

The Food – besides the Dole Whip Floats and Hook’s Pointe, the girls and I enjoyed our fair share of the Bengal BBQ this weekend, a stop at the Corn Dog Wagon, and the RBT for our Fantasmic picnic dinner.

Roller Coasters – I think we rode BTMRR three times and the Matterhorn four or five times. The girls and I can’t get enough of these rides! Thanks to the entourage once again for allowing Zoë and I the trips on BTMRR! We only did Gadget once, and I snuck a quick trip on Screamin’ while posting the girls at the takeoff on the boardwalk to see me launch!

Wireless Access – it has great to have wireless internet access at most of the DLH and GCH for the first time. It allowed some quick emails and posts and was rather handy.

I Heart Disneyland!
03-16-2005, 11:29 AM

Great report Jones! You were supposed to be tossing grapes, weren't you? ;) For the Lonely Hearts? ;) I am happy to hear you had a great time meeting everyone and hanging out. Your girls are SO much more adventureous than mine were at their ages! My step-kiddos (now ages 23 & 25) were so scared to ride most of the rides when they were little. Hubby and I would take turns riding, so the other could be with the kids. They'd never have gone on the Matterhorn at your girl's ages! You have some courageous little ones. How fun!!! They are just darling!

And...you mention MRS. JONES (as in tiki mug can serve as vase for flowers), I thought you were splitting up? Is this a new, blessed reunion?? (Or am I just way out of the loop, and maybe even misunderstood??) If it IS a reunion, I am so happy for you! :)

Crazy4DL
03-16-2005, 11:56 AM
Great report Jones! You were supposed to be tossing grapes, weren't you? ;) For the Lonely Hearts? ;) I am happy to hear you had a great time meeting everyone and hanging out. Your girls are SO much more adventureous than mine were at their ages! My step-kiddos (now ages 23 & 25) were so scared to ride most of the rides when they were little. Hubby and I would take turns riding, so the other could be with the kids. They'd never have gone on the Matterhorn at your girl's ages! You have some courageous little ones. How fun!!! They are just darling!

And...you mention MRS. JONES (as in tiki mug can serve as vase for flowers), I thought you were splitting up? Is this a new, blessed reunion?? (Or am I just way out of the loop, and maybe even misunderstood??) If it IS a reunion, I am so happy for you! :)

Great report Disney Jones - I can't help but smile when reading your reports - you must be the funnest dad around. Cute as pie girls.

I Heart DL - is that you in your avator as the ferocious leader of the Pink (Rose??) "Lonely Heart" team?? ;) :D

Hey I meant the Queen of Heart pic shaking her fists and getting us all into shape. Your new pic - is that you (you cute pie) and dh?

disney jones
03-16-2005, 12:37 PM
...You were supposed to be tossing grapes, weren't you? ;) For the Lonely Hearts? ;))
We were. Here's a picture attached below of Zoe firing a cannnon load of grapes at the MA participants. :~D Syd and I each took turns too from the deck of the Columbia as we circled the ROA on MA. :~D

Thankfully for me and the girls, none of the Padders we hung out with over the weekend won a darn thing in MA. :~D It really would have been especially embarrassing for us if that had happened. But happily for them and us, they were all losers, but not a big enough loser to have actually won at MA. :p

And the actual Double Top Secret Plan was quite effective - slipping Zoe into their DLH Room at night as a spy and bartender. She was gonna spike their drinks she mixed for them, then hide their shoes in the middle of the night.

However, the Double Top Secret Plan was never needed. After meeting them in person and over the Hook's Point dinner, the three of us were all convinced that we didn't even need to implement any chicanery at all - these guys weren't big enough losers to even have a chance at winning anything at MA, even a door prize. :p

and i always get Mrs. Jones a Disney souvenir from me and the kids. nothing brewing, but it just helps to keep the peace as she loves gifts.

:)

Mommy2NicknMax
03-16-2005, 01:15 PM
We were. Here's a picture attached below of Zoe firing a cannnon load of grapes at the MA participants. :~D Syd and I each took turns too from the deck of the Columbia as we circled the ROA on MA. :~D

LOL! I love it!!! Very cute picture!

DisneylandForever
03-16-2005, 01:30 PM
and Javanod and DLF are great guys.

Thanks a bunch Disney Jones! It was cool meeting you as well, although we didn't get to spend much time together. I was on a mission! :p Next MA I'll definitely be there a few days before the event.

spacemountain85
03-16-2005, 08:12 PM
Great report! Funny that you saw Gepetto this weekend too, I was sitting in the hub minding my own business when he came out of nowhere and stole my churro. :mad:

adriennek
03-16-2005, 08:55 PM
and I snuck a quick trip on Screamin’ while posting the girls at the takeoff on the boardwalk to see me launch!

Ok, I just have to say something.

I just don't get this. At all. No roller coaster, NONE, is worth leaving my babies alone in an amusement park for. My oldest two are the same age. If I want to go on a roller coaster I go with anotehr adult or I go alone, leave the kids at home.

I just cannot consider an amusement park a reasonable place to leave my children unattended like that. Who is going to come up and talk to them while I'm not there? Nevermind "strangers" what about Disney security? What if the ride goes 101 and they are left there alone?

I just don't understand. Even at Disneyland.

Adrienne

MammaSilva
03-16-2005, 09:16 PM
Thank you AdrienneK for posting what I've been thinking since I read this thread.....accepting the generosity of other padders is one thing, leaving two small children unattended ANYPLACE...... simply unacceptable in THIS mommy’s (and babysitter extraordinaire) handbook.

Crazy4DL
03-16-2005, 09:20 PM
Thank you AdrienneK for posting what I've been thinking since I read this thread.....accepting the generosity of other padders is one thing, leaving two small children unattended ANYPLACE...... simply unacceptable in THIS mommy’s (and babysitter extraordinaire) handbook.

ditto

rentayenta
03-16-2005, 09:33 PM
Roller Coasters – I think we rode BTMRR three times and the Matterhorn four or five times. The girls and I can’t get enough of these rides! Thanks to the entourage once again for allowing Zoë and I the trips on BTMRR! We only did Gadget once, and I snuck a quick trip on Screamin’ while posting the girls at the takeoff on the boardwalk to see me launch!

OMG, do not tell me this. How could you leave those babies alone?

CoasterChickie
03-16-2005, 09:53 PM
Disney Jones...I did not know that you left the two of them alone while you rode Screamin' till just now. But I was shocked when you told me that you had left Sydney sleeping in her stroller when you went on Mulholland Madness with Zoe. I think you are very lucky that no one saw her there by herself and took her as she is an absolutely beautiful child. And she would have been afraid if she had waken up all by herself. Please do not ever leave either of those girls alone like that again!! It's just not worth it for a ride at Disneyland. My girls and I were happy to watch them part of the time , but when we didn't want to or couldn't, there were plenty of other rides you could have gone on with both of them. They are only little once ...the time will go by quickly and soon you will be able to do everything with them. In the meantime, your first responsiblity is to keep them safe!!! I think your ex wife would have a fit if she knew what you did.

MammaSilva
03-16-2005, 10:01 PM
Ok, I was appalled at the idea of leaving them alone together, but leaving the 3 year old unattended is actually a criminal offense here in California. There are mandatory reporters that read this forum. I don't know how the interstate issue would be resolved, but rest assured if I were in the park and observed the behavior...a parent would come off their little excursion to find the Anaheim Police waiting to discuss Child endangerment, a phone call to the non custodial parent would follow soon after the children were taken into protective custody.

disney jones
03-16-2005, 10:17 PM
They weren't alone.

I watch thise girls like a hawk while i'm there as i have all year long and make sure they are in eyesight the entire time in the park. They stick very close to my side. They aren't ditched, abandoned, or alone any time, any where.

i appreciate the concern so i won't get into a self-righteous tone and leave it at that.

MammaSilva
03-16-2005, 10:38 PM
They weren't alone.

I watch thise girls like a hawk while i'm there as i have all year long and make sure they are in eyesight the entire time in the park. They stick very close to my side. They aren't ditched, abandoned, or alone any time, any where.

i appreciate the concern so i won't get into a self-righteous tone and leave it at that.

and I snuck a quick trip on Screamin’ while posting the girls at the takeoff on the boardwalk to see me launch!

Disney Jones...I did not know that you left the two of them alone while you rode Screamin' till just now. But I was shocked when you told me that you had left Sydney sleeping in her stroller when you went on Mulholland Madness with Zoe.

I think your ex wife would have a fit if she knew what you did.

The bold is MY doing....by your own words you at BEST made poor parenting choices, at worst endangered the girls by California law and I can't imagine I KNOW any parent that would agree that this behavior is acceptable. I can promise you if I had observed those babies alone Security WOULD have been aware and waiting, and if I had seen the baby asleep in her stroller and you were more than 10 feet away, Anaheim Police would have been waiting when you got back... justify this anyway you choose. What you did was break the law and put your daughters at risk.

CoasterChickie
03-16-2005, 11:10 PM
In fairness to Disney Jones, I do want to say that his girls were with me, renta, sally's mom and my girls at different times during the trip and we are all very reliable and trustworthy people.

I'm sorry if I'm mistaken about them being alone DCA , but from what you posted and what you told me it did sound like they were alone. I don't think you can blame us for our Mama bear instincts kicking in since you didn't clarify that there was a CM or someone you knew standing there with them.

MammaSilva
03-17-2005, 04:15 AM
CC, I want to say this in such a way as to make it clear that I have no doubts at all about how trustworthy you and your lovely family are, nor Renta or Christiii and there is no doubt as to the other padders that generously offered to babysit the girls at different times thru the weekend. But at the same time, how many of us would leave our child over night in a strange hotel with 'virtual strangers' that we'd only met physically for the first time less than 48 hours prior????

As to walking up and asking total and complete strangers to "keep an eye" on the girls while making the choices we've read about, all I can say is I'd love to hear Mrs. Jones opinion on that action because I can promise you what mine would be if my childs father made those choices.

Moving on to asking CM's to supervise your child while you "sneak off" to ride...if Disney won't allow the CM's to assist people onto rides, I can't imagine there is a policy that 'allows' them to become official babysitters for guests under those conditions. The liability factor is so huge it boggles my mind.

I'm glad for the girls sake that all of you were there to offer a safe haven for them off and on over the trip because based on the Chip and Dale posts and various posts from Renta and yourself and most importantly Disney Jones regarding this weekend and the girls ..... well let's just say that it's a good thing that I'm no longer a MANDATORY reporter of child issues.

CoasterChickie
03-17-2005, 07:49 AM
MammaSilva, I know you're not upset with me and renta and christi, but I do want to say something at this point for anyone else who might be wondering. Renta, Christii and I had drinks at the UVA bar, Cove Bar, and our hotel room when there were no kids present. The night of the Hook's Point dinner , Disney Jones was there with his kids and he was in charge of them. I'd only had two drinks before dinner, and nothing during dinner, so I was completely sober when Zoe came back to the room with us and I put her to bed. Our comments in our reports about gin and cigarettes and Zoe making drinks have all been jokes, hence the wink after those statements. I just want to make sure that everyone who reads our reports knows that.

MammaSilva
03-17-2005, 07:59 AM
Let's not get started on the Hooks Point dinner and alcohol consumption and the legal limit to drink and drive in the state of California. I have NO problems with anyone having a few drinks, hello I don't give a rats patootie if you got blasted out of your mind....if you're NOT driving or in charge of children.:rolleyes:

rentayenta
03-17-2005, 10:09 AM
Let's not get started on the Hooks Point dinner and alcohol consumption and the legal limit to drink and drive in the state of California. I have NO problems with anyone having a few drinks, hello I don't give a rats patootie if you got blasted out of your mind....if you're NOT driving or in charge of children.:rolleyes:

Exactly!! I drank a lot and had zero intentions, desire, or responsibility to tend children. It ended up happening through no decision of my own. Had I had even an inkling that I would have to play mommy, I would have slept on the tod's couch!

Alex S.
03-17-2005, 10:15 AM
Ok everybody, let's calm down a notch.

No, never mind. I don't know what all is going on so I don't know if calming down is appropriate. That said, what is being discussed is getting very personal. I strongly suggest taking it offline or to PMs to hash out.

CoasterChickie
03-17-2005, 10:35 AM
Alex...I think we have all pretty much hashed it out calmly and cooly in pm's between the various people who have spoken at this thread.

The main point I want to get across is that the three of us ladies did not volunteer to babysit then get drunk while the kids were in our care. The three times we drank , it was four to five hours before we saw DJ's kids, I was sober when I took Zoe back to the hotel room and I don't think DJ was drunk when he drove Sydney to the beach where they were camping.

I don't think any further discussion of this is necessary

disney jones
03-17-2005, 10:50 AM
i know some of you had your own bad experience this weekend with the judgmental attitude of others when it comes to parenting skills so i'm going to be graceful --- count me as one who’s going to hold my tongue.

Suffice to say, I was very careful in who I decided to meet this weekend and who watched the girls, when and where. They were never left unattended. I made good choices - CC, Yenta and their entire entourage quadruple rock. I have very strong family values and recognized this trait also in CC and Javanod from the start months ago and over many PMs.

And for the record, neither myself or my daughters ever made it to the UVA Bar, the Cove Bar, or the Lost Bar this weekend. There were a lot of adult gatherings around MA weekend but me and the girls were nowhere near them, besides the family-oriented Hook’s Point dinner (there were seven other teens and kids there too, and CC made the most wonderful gifts bags for all the kids in attendance). I had three beers there over the course of my two-hour plus dinner (the only alcohol i drank over the 5 days at the Park). After dinner, i carried Zoe from Hook's Point up to CC's room in the Sierra Tower and tucker her in myself, then drove safely to our campground.

Out of the 5 days there, we hooked up with a group of Padders for about a half day all told over several days. It was a group situation of 5-10 adults and we all took turns watching my youngest so that Zoe got to ride some of the bigger rides she doesn't get to ride when it's just the three of us (for the record, we joined groups Thursday night, Friday afternoon, Saturday mid-day, and Sunday evening for a few hours and rides each day). Zoe spent Thursday and Friday night at DLH with CC at her invitation. Basically all she did was sleep there and i picked her up promptly the first thing the next morning (yes, she had a bad dream one of the nights and yes, Yenta was up comforting her). When more padders started arriving and the nightlife picked up over the weekend, we weren't making the scene, we were in Fantasyland and A Bug's Land. And i did not participate in the MA, precisely so my girls could have a fun day riding rides and seeing shows like Playhouse Disney.

You’re talking to a dedicated daddy who pays his child support, insists on having joint custody so I am fully involved with the upbringing of these girls. My half of the week we are usually at church each day, and conclude each and every night with reading Bible stories and prayers. I’m the kind of guy that rarely lets them watch even the Disney channel after dark. Zoe is already reading at a 2nd grade level because I’m a very hands on parent and read with her daily. I had to go through the family courts, judges and child psychologists and came out just fine with 50% custody of two very young girls because my record spoke for itself, and those that know me, know I’m a solid citizen and parent. For those not in attendance, a lot of the joking, events, and sarcsm may be mis-construed. It doesn't bother me personally, but it hurts when great people like CC and Yenta and dragged into it.

Well, we had another 5 great (and safe) days there. :D This thread was meant to convey the joy of the weekend we had there and nothing will take away the memories from us. :)

CoasterChickie
03-17-2005, 11:21 AM
DJ...thanks for clarifying that you were with us when we went up to the room. I put her in her pj's since you were holding Sydney but you were there and said goodnight. It was unfortunate that Renta was the one who had to get up with her in the middle of the night since I was the one who had agreed to watch her. I still owe renta big time for that one!! On our next trip together Renta and I will have my 9 year old and her three kids who are all under 7 so both of us will definitely be there in Mommy mode the entire time.

Christiii
03-17-2005, 11:23 AM
:rolleyes: