PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Golden Dreams?

Pages : [1] 2

BWthespian
03-15-2005, 08:33 PM
State Your Opinions

marktips
03-15-2005, 08:46 PM
My opinion isn't valid because I've only experienced it through the miracle of the internet and neve rin person - but everything I know says poor man's version of the American Adventure.

Tutter
03-16-2005, 02:37 AM
I really like this. I can remember the first time I went feeling incredibly moved by it. It's not something that you want to visit over and over - but certainly for me it was worth it.

sdfilmcritic
03-16-2005, 02:45 AM
I enjoyed it. The acting seems rather cheesy at some points, but overall it seems like one of those typical Extreme Cliff Notes of History movies. I was distracted by Whoopi acting as the "God of California History" whenever her face appeared on a statue inside the theater. It is something to kill time and get out of the summer crowds or uncomfortable weather.

oregontraveler
03-16-2005, 04:39 AM
I liked it, only seen it once so far. The ending song is fantastic. OK, I'm a little
verklempt now. Discuss amongst yourselves. :crying:

03-16-2005, 04:40 AM
It's fun and entertaining. I grew up in California and I buy into the land-of-dreams thing.

My two teen daughters found the show a little heavy-handed but that's only because their dad has filled their head with Midwestern propaganda. ;)

nursemelis374
03-16-2005, 07:14 AM
I love it! My Mouse Adventure team name was The Golden Dreamers and we word California shirts! I cry almost everytime I see it. I can understand why some people my not enjoy it too much, especially if they didn't have the CA-pride like I do!

merlinjones
03-16-2005, 07:18 AM
It sucks. A politically correct distortion of California History, and a bore to boot. should be replaced with Mickey's PhilharMagic!

DJ_MENTOS
03-16-2005, 07:20 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed, especially the last song and seeing Tiger Woods and his dad. Very moving.

itig
03-16-2005, 07:49 AM
It sucks. A politically correct distortion of California History, and a bore to boot. should be replaced with Mickey's PhilharMagic!

Haven't seen it, and if your comment is accurate, I'll keep it that way.

HTHgal12
03-16-2005, 08:01 AM
Love it! Its not great or big but I still like it

kbanmen
03-16-2005, 08:43 AM
I really do like it.. It brings me to tears all the time... I am canadian as you all kn ow, but this is a great show about the california history, and when the song comes on at the end.. I CRY and cry

MrsG
03-16-2005, 08:46 AM
I resisted going to see it for a long time (not another movie disguised as an attraction :rolleyes: ) but when I finally did, I found it very moving and get all choked up each time I see it. (yep - native Californian)

kbanmen
03-16-2005, 08:55 AM
it does bring teears to your eyes doesnt it, just thinking about the song is bringing a tear.. sigh

Mukta
03-16-2005, 09:26 AM
I enjoy it very much and I find it very moving. I don't think it is a PC distortion. A lot of minorities have come here and not all of them have been treated well. A lot of Americans came from the East and fell upon hard times here also. I thought it did a great job of showing some of California's history.

Missing Marbles
03-16-2005, 09:52 AM
It is worth seeing once. It took almost a year before I saw it a second time. For me, it just is not interesting enough to see over and again. Considering the very short lines, I am not the only person with this opinion.

hefferdude
03-16-2005, 11:03 AM
The production is good, the music well written and performed but the emphasis is listing to port albeit PCish hinting at revisionism. I'll admit I'm not the biggest Whoopi fan. :rolleyes:

( Duck, here comes the flack...)

BWthespian
03-16-2005, 03:51 PM
That Was So Cool To Me Noticing That Howard Hughes Was In The Montage At The End (aviator Is A Must See Btw) And This Is 17 But I Got All Emotional Too And Im 17 Lol, Me Being An Actor Ireally Love The Beginnings Of Hollywood Segment :d

disney jones
03-16-2005, 04:01 PM
It sucks. A politically correct distortion of California History, and a bore to boot. should be replaced with Mickey's PhilharMagic!i think it sucks too. I had such high hopes for this as i love everything and anything from California, but it played like a diversity film that The Corporation has everyone watch annually. The stories were good, but it was mostly a treatise to political correctness.

Since it's California theatre, i say bring back some classic Zorro flicks.

TP2000
03-16-2005, 04:05 PM
Golden Dreams is late 1990's politically correct boredom at its insipid worst. It is already dating very badly, and it's only 2005.

Much like the Eureka parade, Golden Dreams categorizes everyone into neat, little stereotypes based on their ethnicity and the amount of melanin in their skin cells. It then panders to provincial native Californians (a broad swath of the population in SoCal now) who have never lived anywhere else, and soothes their ego's by telling them that this is some sort of extra-special place and that somehow we are superior to the other states in the Union. Blech. I thought a Texans ego-problem was unattractive, but Golden Dreams borders on the downright ugly.

Plus, there's the fact that it was originally planned as a pull out all the stops audio animatronic theater-go-round like Carousel of Progress or Meet The World. But then Pressler got a hold of the budget and cut out the revolving theater. Then six months later he cut out the animatronics. What was left was a boring movie screen with a talking Whoopi head.

It could have been so much more. But the PC drivel is getting more painful to watch as the years click by from it's late 1990's inception.

DisneyDustin22
03-16-2005, 04:35 PM
...but at least Whoppi got work.

BWthespian
03-16-2005, 04:42 PM
u guys are mean for mickeys sake just enjoy the film lol

DisneyDustin22
03-16-2005, 04:46 PM
we're not mean, we're just critics, and critic is code word for diplomatic immunity! You know, like that bad guy in Lethal Weapon 2 or the paparazzi. :D

stan4d_steph
03-16-2005, 04:59 PM
I find it to be over-the-top cheesy, but some people like it. It doesn't seem to attract good crowds though, so I think it should be replaced with something better.

SCUBAbe
03-16-2005, 05:46 PM
I have nver seen it....I heard it was bad so I staye daway. I learned that from my tiki room experience. I heard that was lame and went anyway. I walked out during the second or third song. When everyone started to sing along to "sing like the birdies do"...Thankfully I was by an exit...:)