PDA

View Full Version : Was anybody else as unimpressed as I was . . .

Pages : [1] 2

hbquikcomjamesl
01-02-2002, 02:39 PM
. . . with the Haunted Mansion "Nightmare Before Christmas" holiday makeover?
:sleep:
I was in Disneyland on New Year's Eve, and if I hadn't had to wait until 2:25 AM for my Haunted Mansion fastpass window to open, I would've probably been home by 2:00 AM instead of after 3:00 AM.
:sleep:
Quite frankly, I don't find the holiday version to be nearly as good as the original. In fact, it sort of reminded me of SuperStar Lemon, in that everything seemed to be based on in-jokes. Unlike SSL, though, where the in-jokes are obvious to most Disney fans, here they're based on a movie I've only seen bits and pieces of, and most of them went over my head the way the SSL jokes go over a typical first-time tourist's head.

So what was everybody so excited about?:confused:

80S ERA
01-02-2002, 02:50 PM
I think lot of people like it because its a change. After going on the ride hundreds of times and practically memorizing all the spiels, it was nice to see some new sights. I found the fresh new makeover pretty amusing.

However, nothing beats how the original HM was elaborate and detailed. But again, it was nice to see something different. (even though it looked like it was slapped together overnight)

They are bringing the old HM back, right? :cool:

rexfarms
01-02-2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by 80S ERA

They are bring the old HM back, right? :cool:

I sure hope so!

MammaSilva
01-02-2002, 03:11 PM
rumor is that the HM goes back to 'normal' after Jan 5 or 6th....but I have to say I enjoyed it done up for the holiday.

Not Afraid
01-02-2002, 04:17 PM
I am a die-hard HM fan. Its been in my Top 5 list since it opened. However, I thought they did a GREAT job with HMH. (I'm not even a huge fan of the movie.) I've enjoyed the ride many times over (probably close to 30) and have not gotten bored. I didn't miss the original until I heard some sound files recently from HM and was reminded how great it is.

If Disney wants to do a change every year for a few months, I think that's fantastic, they'd just better put it back the way they found it.

coronamouseman
01-02-2002, 06:34 PM
My family thought the HMH was a terrific twist on the HM.

Sure, the original is hard to beat and I'm sure that Disney will return or even improve the original when it is brought back but it was a nice change of pace to see a different and original twist to the HM.

Lost Boy
01-02-2002, 07:20 PM
I guess some things need to be spoken about here.

The makeover cost the Park 1.5 million $$$

It was done by the same guy who created the Believe fireworks shows. When he first went into the mansion to take a look at it from a point of view as to what could be changed, he was appalled at the condition that the Management of the Park had let this fabulous attraction deteroriate into. Peeling paint and wallpaper, threadbare carpets, dust so thick that the scrims where usesless and so many other things that he told them that he would not do the makeover unless they gave him carte blanche to clean up the Mansion and put in new lights, sound, wallpaper, carpets and rooms. And since he is now the Golden boy of the Park, they agreed. So when the mansion does return to it's former self, sometime in February (it closes Jan 6th but it took them almost two months to do this makeover - it was defintaly not something that was done "Overnight" - New stuff in the stretching room, new changin paintings and totally new A/A figure, new singing pumkins on a new moutain, etc.). I don't know how you could ride this makeover and even suggest that it was slapped together overnight. And maybe since you have never seen the movie, or are not a fan, you should not make comments about something you know nothing about. Nightmare is a great movie and the makeover captures that same feeling to a "T".
Anyway, when the mansion come back up, it will have an all new sound system, new lighting, clean scrims, new rooms, and it will look the way it did back on the day it opened, not the tired, run down mess it was in before the makeover. I love the mansion just as much as anyone, but don't think for a minute that I am not happy about getting all that rehab work done, which the Park would never have signed off on, if the makeover hadn't been suggested and signed off on. It is a win - win situation for everybody, fans of the original and fans of Nightmare.

MammaSilva
01-02-2002, 08:38 PM
Just a little side note here, when we were at the park for Walts Birthday (thanks again to Innerspaceman for the 'push' that made me decide we HAD to drive down) I saw a bunch of 'suits' standing in front of the HM discussing next Sept's Dollars.... I wanted to stand and evesdrop longer but there was a couple HM CM's that were sort of moving everyone along so we couldn't stand and listen....but what little I heard sounded like they were impressed with the results and discussing next Halloweens makeover....so the HM might be getting the recognition/rehab/maintance it needed and deserved :)

rexfarms
01-02-2002, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Lost Boy
I guess some things need to be spoken about here.

The makeover cost the Park 1.5 million $$$

It was done by the same guy who created the Believe fireworks shows. When he first went into the mansion to take a look at it from a point of view as to what could be changed, he was appalled at the condition that the Management of the Park had let this fabulous attraction deteroriate into. Peeling paint and wallpaper, threadbare carpets, dust so thick that the scrims where usesless and so many other things that he told them that he would not do the makeover unless they gave him carte blanche to clean up the Mansion and put in new lights, sound, wallpaper, carpets and rooms. And since he is now the Golden boy of the Park, they agreed. So when the mansion does return to it's former self, sometime in February (it closes Jan 6th but it took them almost two months to do this makeover - it was defintaly not something that was done "Overnight" - New stuff in the stretching room, new changin paintings and totally new A/A figure, new singing pumkins on a new moutain, etc.). I don't know how you could ride this makeover and even suggest that it was slapped together overnight. And maybe since you have never seen the movie, or are not a fan, you should not make comments about something you know nothing about. Nightmare is a great movie and the makeover captures that same feeling to a "T".
Anyway, when the mansion come back up, it will have an all new sound system, new lighting, clean scrims, new rooms, and it will look the way it did back on the day it opened, not the tired, run down mess it was in before the makeover. I love the mansion just as much as anyone, but don't think for a minute that I am not happy about getting all that rehab work done, which the Park would never have signed off on, if the makeover hadn't been suggested and signed off on. It is a win - win situation for everybody, fans of the original and fans of Nightmare.

Cant wait for that! And I agree with you to a "T" LOL

Morrigoon
01-02-2002, 10:14 PM
And I agree with you to a "T" LOL

Ahh, I just love irony!

Anyway,
I thought the makeover was just terrific. That doesn't mean I have any desire to see our mansion Orlandized, but if they want to bring it back every holiday season, that's fine with me. Frankly, and I've said this before, they could take the concepts and create a separate attraction for NBC if they wanted to. If done by the same guy, I'm sure it'd be terrific. Sorry to disappoint you hbquickcomjames, but I *really* liked the makeover.

Gemini Cricket
01-02-2002, 11:32 PM
I really liked the make-over. There was no Oogie Boogie but the rest was neat. I watched the movie the other night. I thought the ride was a lot more fun than the movie. The movie was too dark and Tim-Burton-weird for me...

blusilva
01-03-2002, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by hbquikcomjamesl
Quite frankly, I don't find the holiday version to be nearly as good as the original. In fact, it sort of reminded me of SuperStar Lemon, in that everything seemed to be based on in-jokes. Unlike SSL, though, where the in-jokes are obvious to most Disney fans, here they're based on a movie I've only seen bits and pieces of, and most of them went over my head the way the SSL jokes go over a typical first-time tourist's head.

So what was everybody so excited about?:confused:

Would you complain that you don't get why the Peter Pan ride goes over London if you'd never seen the movie and had no point of reference?

For those of us who are fans of the film (which is a Disney film, as much so as Roger Rabbit), this makeover was exciting and fun and perfectly in sync with the theme of the attraction, the season and the film.

dsnyredhead
01-03-2002, 05:04 AM
I loved the NBC makeover. Hope they bring it back next year.

eforest
01-03-2002, 06:34 AM
I went to the HMH on NYEve for the first time and I thought it was a nice change. I will be glad when they bring back the original. I wish they would put in more animatronics. You would think that since the technology is becoming more advance that they would do more of it. (I remember for a summer they had a person in a Knight suit lunge at you. I will never forget that!)

80S ERA
01-03-2002, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by Lost Boy
....it was defintaly not something that was done "Overnight" - New stuff in the stretching room, new changin paintings and totally new A/A figure, new singing pumkins on a new moutain, etc.). I don't know how you could ride this makeover and even suggest that it was slapped together overnight. And maybe since you have never seen the movie, or are not a fan, you should not make comments about something you know nothing about.

So, are you basically saying that anyone that does not know the entire background -- all staff who participated in the planning, overall project budget, project milestones, type of paper used for concept drawings, etc are not entitled to an opinion?

This board will always bring different views -- not always consistent with yours or mine. Remember what type of responses you got from your "Pin Trader Scum" thread?

Anyway, I still think your posts are A+.:) You always give us an insider perspective. Not everyone gets to meet Tony Baxter in person.

ae's mom
01-03-2002, 07:33 AM
I have to admit that I was very hesitant about NBC, being how much I love Haunted Mansion. I went on it not knowing what to expect.....I LOVED it!!! I do love the original, but the change was great. I hope they continue to keep the original and change it for the holidays!!

mad4mky
01-03-2002, 08:21 AM
I really enjoyed the HMH makeover. Course...I enjoy the movie. The first time I saw the movie...I thought it was "junk". But as I watched it a few times (years ago...and it is one of my kids favorites) I realized what the whole thing is all about...

I too wouldn't want this to be an all year deal. I enjoy the HM original...and am glad that it will be cleaned up. But, I thought the HMH was amazing. I loved the singing pumpkins...Jack's hill...and some of the other special effects. It was a lot fun...and by the way everyone is reacting to it...a big success!

Maybe I'm selfish...but I don't want Orlando to get this special treat. They get everything else that was originally ours (except Alice)...let them get something else.

Cadaverous Pallor
01-03-2002, 08:58 AM
I LOVE the makeover. It's whimsical and smart and full of surprises for Mansion and Nightmare fans alike. I don't know how you could look at the monster wreath in the hallway swinging the old chandeliers with his leafy arms and say that it was "slapped together overnight"! Obviously a lot of love for the Mansion went into this.

In-jokes? I don't think you need to have seen the movie to appreciate the ride. Halloween takes over Xmas....it doesn't need any more explanation than that. Sure, Nightmare fans get an extra kick out of it, but it doesn't fall flat if you don't know the story.

As for whether it's "better" than the original mansion...it's not here to top the Mansion. It's a nice perk for an age-old attraction. Like any fan, I'll be happy when the hitchikers come back to the doombuggies, but I like this seasonal thing.

thamnarestan
01-03-2002, 09:08 AM
I agree that the original was superior, but I did like the change in the ER. The huge skeleton face at the top of the elevator was actually scary the first time around. I don't ever remember being scared by Mansion's original configuration.

socabch
01-03-2002, 09:26 AM
I remember that too. It happened to me in 1984 Holiday Season. It hasn't happened to me since. Bring back the Knight.

I enjoyed the changed to HM but I also miss the original. A CM told me that since they got such positive feedback that they will do NBC at the HM every X-mas for five years. The draw back is they have to close the Mansion for each change.

hbquikcomjamesl
01-03-2002, 09:28 AM
"blusilva" said:

Would you complain that you don't get why the Peter Pan ride goes over London if you'd never seen the movie and had no point of reference?

Uh, that's kind of a false analogy. Peter Pan is very close to being a modern archetype. Psychology professors write monographs on the "Peter Pan complex." The story was a classic stage play and an equally classic book long before it was a Disney film. That's why Hook works. That's why Back to Neverland works. (Sidebar: While I like One Man's Dream, and think it should get a permanent home in either Disneyland or DCA, I'd also like to see Back to Neverland return.) The Nightmare Before Christmas is just a movie.

Then, too, the Peter Pan Flight seems to do a bit more to get the more ignorant guests up to speed on the story, and besides, what difference does it make whether it goes over London, Los Angeles, or Laramie, since the important part is that you're suddenly flying out the window and over the city, on your way to Neverland.

Understand, I didn't dislike the Haunted Mansion makeover; I simply (1) thought the hype exceeded the reality, (2) found myself constantly expecting more differences than I actually got, and (3) can't figure out why it would be worth such a long line, or such a long fastpass wait.

Cadaverous Pallor
01-03-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by hbquikcomjamesl
Understand, I didn't dislike the Haunted Mansion makeover; I simply (1) thought the hype exceeded the reality, (2) found myself constantly expecting more differences than I actually got, and (3) can't figure out why it would be worth such a long line, or such a long fastpass wait.
Cool. I can agree to disagree with that. :D

outlaw8
01-03-2002, 01:02 PM
I 've NEVER seen the movie and it's been YEARS since my family and I have been to DL, but we REALLY liked the makeover!!
I took my 4yr old this year and she really liked the Pumpkins...
I thought it was fantastic and I think they did a great job!! The HM was my Mom's favorite ride and I think if she was here with us today she would've LOVED what they did to her Mansion!!

JoeCanadian
01-03-2002, 09:09 PM
I agree with hbquikcomjamesl. The ride did indeed look slapped together. They cut alot of corners, leading to a less believable story. I came in wanting to like this ride (having seen so much video footage from places like laughingplace) but the videos covered up a lot of the shabby work.

The ONE thing that had me absolutely laughing was the patches of greenish/brown/red carpet I seen poking out of certain areas. I seen this around the headstones in the snowing scenes. Has anyone else besides me seen this? Sooooooooo, funny. You'd figure Disney could just buy some more cotton for their "snow" to cover up the spaces...
Animatronic Jack bugged me too. He barely moves at all. Has anyone seen the rock monster on The Journey to the Center of the Earth at DisneySeas? Makes ol' Jack look like a kindergarten project. You can see the video clip of the "rock monster" from JTTCOE here (1.4 megs. Just left click on it): http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LayzeesFiles/files/JourneyToTheCentreOfTheEarth/journey.mpeg

I'm just angry cause I was looking forward to the old mansion on my only, and possibly last, trip to DL.

Morrigoon
01-03-2002, 09:20 PM
One night when I was in there, a CM was walking around scooping up whole areas of cotton, as some thoughtless guest had tossed junk all over it, ruining the effect. That may be what happened the night you were there too.