PDA

View Full Version : Advice on DLR vs. DisneyWorld

srfantasmic
03-15-2005, 03:18 PM
After moving back to NoCal after many years I rekindled my Disney fire! I got my first annual pass a few months ago and have been enjoying everything except the 6 hour drive to LA. I'm thinking of going to DisneyWorld (same travel time via airplane, right?). Looking for opinions as to whether or not the long trek is worth it.

p.s. This is my first post so a big hello to the DL community.

The old man
03-15-2005, 03:28 PM
The difference between DL and WDW is huge, especially because WDW consists of so many parks. I figure I can do a decent job at DLR in two days--not perfect but I can get a lot done. (I know there are people who can spend a lot longer there, but this is my OK level.) I believe that it takes a minimum of five to six days at WDW.

bradk
03-15-2005, 03:34 PM
seconded. if you can spend at least a week in WDW, it's worth it. it's also much more expensive. i would advise not staying on site for sure, altho resort hotel guests do get those stinkin' magic hours. but if you stay long enough, you won't need them.

you probably could do all you want in MK for maybe half a day, especially once you know the differences between the rides that coexist in DLR and decide to skip the occasional one, but EPCOT will definitely consume your time and interest and you still have MGM, Animal Kingdom, blizzard beach, typhoon lagoon, disney quest, disney's world of sports to contend with if they hold your interest at all.

and then of course, there's the golfing and every other leisure activity known to man.

HorizonsA
03-15-2005, 03:38 PM
Well, with Disney World, you get four theme parks, Magic Kingdom, Epcot Center, Disney MGM Studios, and Animal Kingdom. It's kind of a tight race between our Magic Kingdom and their Magic Kingdom:

I personally think Disneyland's Small World is better. It's the same ride on the inside, but the outside facades are totally different. We have the clock tower, they just have a Medevial type building with a marquee saying,"it's a small world." Or that's what it was the last time I was there. Our Pirates of the Caribbean is different slightly only because we have two waterfalls and they have one little one. Their queue is better, has good theme. But I love our bayou setting just before our "time travel." They don't even have a Matterhorn Bobsleds attraction, but I guess it's good that way, it makes Disneyland unique. They still have their PeopleMover running, or the Transit Authority. Our Autopia is much better than their Tomorrowland Grand Prix. They go in a figure 8, we go all over. Both Fantasylands are about the same. They don't have Pinocchio's Daring Journey, or Mr. Toad's Wild Ride anymore, or Alice in Wonderland. Our Dumbo has water in the loading platform, they don't. Both Splash Mountains are great, not one better then the other. Same with Space Mountain. Both Haunted Mansions are exactly the same. Both Thunder Mountains produce the same thrill; they're basically mirror images of themselves. They still have their Country Bear Jamboree, we don't, thanks to Pooh. We still have our original Enchanted Tiki Room, they have the Under New Management, which isn't that great and is a much shorter show. They still have Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress.

Epcot Center is the best science museums ever. It's like one bug Smithsonian. World Showcase is great. I haven't been to Animal Kingdom or MGM Studios.

sediment
03-15-2005, 04:50 PM
Looking for opinions as to whether or not the long trek is worth it.
It's worth it. Not worth it for as often as you'd go to DLr from the West Coast, but once every few years or so for a Disney fan, yes it is.
It's about a six-hour flight (so yes, that's about even), and about $1000 - $2000 more (or more) (not so even).
I recall getting a great deal back in 1992 or so. It's hazy, but it was perhaps about $700 per person for everything (except food). We stayed offsite, which I do not recommend, as some of the shuttles (this was a Holiday Inn in Kissimmee) start charging for late pickups and deliveries.
On site at the lowest-cost hotels: $100/night. Note that the lowest cost hotels will generally have the longest and poorest bus service, but it's good enough for me. (and I'm pretty much a snob.)
Tickets somewhere in the $40-$60 range(?) per day.
Flight from NoCal can be as low as $300 r/t, but it has to be perfect timing.
From airport to hotel: rent a car or get a limo or a shuttle service. Debates will start from bringing it up, and the pro's and con's of each have all been aired out in previous threads.

In summary, I recommend it, but not as a regular vacation from the West Coast. I mean, Hawaii is closer to NoCal.

MrsG
03-15-2005, 05:14 PM
Hello srfantasmic and welcome. I am a former lifelong Northern Californian (now SoCal). Hubby and I have had annual passes for a long time and would drive down to DLR several times a year. You get used to the drive and will know Hwy 5 very well! It actually did not seem that bad after awhile. So DLR became our "weekend getaway" location. As for WDW, that would be our "real" vacation. You need at least a week to see most of it!

(Where are you in NorCal?)

srfantasmic
03-15-2005, 07:41 PM
(Where are you in NorCal?)[/QUOTE]
Hi MrsG
I'm in Oakland. I've made the trip South 3 times in the past 8 months including my first ever visit to Disneyland during the holidays. That was the greatest! I plan on going back next Christmas.

I'll probably hit DLR again in a couple of months. Part of me wants to beat the 50th celebration crowd, the other wants to wait til the opening of Space Mountain. Maybe I'll hit both. :)

MrsG
03-15-2005, 08:13 PM
(Where are you in NorCal?)Hi MrsG
I'm in Oakland. I've made the trip South 3 times in the past 8 months including my first ever visit to Disneyland during the holidays. That was the greatest! I plan on going back next Christmas.

I'll probably hit DLR again in a couple of months. Part of me wants to beat the 50th celebration crowd, the other wants to wait til the opening of Space Mountain. Maybe I'll hit both. :)
Ah... Oakland. The place of my birth. Go Raiders. And you have to come down before Christmas!

WITron
03-15-2005, 10:03 PM
I grew up in So Cal and have been to DW several times. The last time was 5 years ago for our honeymoon. My DW had been to DL a few times and never to DW. We actually prefer DL over DW it is smaller and more intimate. I would still like to go back to DW for the Christmas season as they have things there that they don't have at DL.

The Magic Kingdom compares to DL. There are some attractions in that park that are not in DL and vice versa. We only spent a little time there since we had been to DL. The real differences are Epcot, Disney MGM, and Animal Kingdom. There are attractions at those parks that I would love to either go on again or they are new and would love to experience them. Personally I loved Rocking Roller Coaster at MGM and want to try Mission:Space at Epcot.

If I had the money I would gladly make a yearly trip to DL, but I would only visit DW once every five years. It is all a matter of personal taste, but definately worth checking out.

MsYumiBr
03-15-2005, 10:12 PM
DH gave me a choice, DL or WDW. Since I've been to WDW a long time ago and found the climate to be uncomfortable, I thought they had mutant palm trees which were actually a different kind of plant, it was sooooo spread out, it was WDW, not DL, I chose DL. Besides, we can go when the kids get bigger and can keep up with us.

marktips
03-16-2005, 08:13 AM
To note - if you post this in the WDW forum you'll get mostly the opposite response.