PDA

View Full Version : Danger !! Strollers !!!!

Pages : [1] 2

Believe
01-02-2002, 12:58 PM
I was at Disneyland the other day :) and i was a moving target for mothers with strollers !!! ahhhhh

i was rammed up the back of my ankles about 20 times or so all by strollers !! ahhhh by ankles are so red :(

Does anyone else become a moving target like me ?

The bad part of it is that you turn around and tell them off and they smile back at you and go for seconds or run off !!!! and they dont even say sorry ! :(

I hate them !!! just because you have a stroller does not mean that your king or queen of Disneyland !!

Is it just me or do you ever find yourself as a moving target ?

(sorry but i had to have my say on it)

"please park your stroller in the stroller bay and LEAVE it there for the day"

2CN
01-02-2002, 02:20 PM
I keept getting cut off and a few times almost tripped by people pushing their strollers thru the crowd on New Years Eve at dland... it was a pain- they seemed to have this attitude that since they have a stroller, they should get special treatment and be allowed to go first- this when you really couldnt get anywhere with the flow of people trying to leave the park after the countdown.... sorta like alot of SUV drivers on the roads here as well.

merlinjones
01-02-2002, 03:41 PM
No doubt that the stroller drivers are becoming more and more agressive, especially the yuppie SUV Stroller users. You know, those massive strollers with luggage racks, snack trays and a trunk - - They feel entitled to run right over you. DL should make everyone use a small regulation stroller that is crowd friendly while inside the park.

EandCDad
01-02-2002, 05:55 PM
I think this thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2784&highlight=stroller) is the one with the most stroller discussion, although I'm pretty sure there is another also.

As I have stated many times on this board, I'm not going to stop pushing my stroller around DL . I pay attention to where I'm going and truly try not to hit anyone. Generally, I succeed. However, occassionally, someone will do something like cut right in front of me or come to a dead stop with no warning in the middle of a pedestrial walkway. The get hit. I'm sure they think I don't care about hitting them, I do. It damages my stroller, but they should probably take more care and notice their surroundings.

That said, people who push strollers around without concern for anyone else and don't pay attention are jerks. The stoller didn't make them a jerk and if they didn't have the stroller, they would display their jerkiness in some other way.

Believe
01-02-2002, 07:33 PM
"I'm not going to stop pushing my stroller around DL ." EandCDad

No No No its not the people who are Disneyland fans who are the bad stroller drivers its the mums and dads who DONT want to be at Disneyland.

The Disneyland fans are way too busy learning more about the park and enjoying the most of it, to run strollers into guests.

And the ones that dont understand engilsh too !!

I dont get in there way i could be standing some where enjoying the sights and sounds and BANG stroller up my legs !!!

Anyway,

EandCDad
01-02-2002, 07:34 PM
No need to apologize. Just the free exchange of ideas. I've been hit by strollers too, it's aggravating and it hurts. Welcome to the Boards, hope to hear more from you.

Believe
01-02-2002, 07:54 PM
Thankyou !!

still new on this !!!

great board you guys have got going and i love the indy spoilers too :D

anyway

stinkerbell
01-02-2002, 09:11 PM
Believe, I like your signature....I always have that stuck in my head as I have the Disneyland CD in my SUV and the kids have me replay it over and over and over and over and I say, "Hey, mom wants to listen to Splash Mountain......."

Ok, speaking of SUV's. I'm an SUV stroller driver and if you've read the other discussions, you can see that:

1. I get hit by people who are not pushing strollers more often than strollers.

2. I went with my six year old for four days and did not get hit by a stroller one time. 8-12 hours a day at DL four straight days and not one bump by a stroller. We were courteous, watched where we were going, attempted not to stop in the middle of a busy or crowded walkway, and did not get hit. A month earlier, we went with two strollers and people stepped on our strollers, stepped over the strollers, etc.

3. Jerks are jerks are jerks, with or without strollers. A little kindness, a smile, a funny comment sends them on their way with you being the better person. Kill them with kindness.......

4. And I think you're right. There are folks that just aren't as psyched to be at DL with their families as some of us. They just don't get it. I get frazzled there too with large groups, esp. on our fourth or fifth straight day and might get careless, but not as careless as those who weren't excited to be there in the first place......but I always, always, always reach out to touch a shoulder, say sorry, make a funny or whatever. Sometimes, I get no eye contact from folks and I don't work hard to make that connection. It's the people who smile and make the funnies that get the best reaction from me.

;)

MonorailMan
01-03-2002, 07:10 AM
I can't wait untill they make a 3 foot high stroller thats shaped like a wedge, then thoes people will plow through the crouds(like they don't allready) :)

SweenyTodd
01-03-2002, 08:19 AM
You know what I have never understood? How is it that a child that's too young to walk could possibly appreciate anything that's going on around them at DL anyway?

We've all seen the soccer mom and dad pushing around a kid who's less than TWO years old. And that kid is asleep in the stroller. And don't get me started on infants. IMHO, bringing an infant to DL and most crowded public places is just irresponsible.

I dunno. I just seems to me that a lot of parents want to go to Disneyland themselves but don't want to hire a babysitter. So they bring the kid along, regardless of how it may incovenience other folks.

Went to see Blast! at DCA over the weekend (loved it). Two rows in front of me there's a kid who couldn't have been more than 18 months old. Screamed through most of it. I'm sorry, but those parents should have hired a sitter or stayed home. It's rude.

Now don't get me wrong. I really love kids. I just don't understand why parents feel that its okay to bring them everywhere.

mad4mky
01-03-2002, 08:40 AM
Disneyland...is a FAMILY place. Not just for people over 3...
Babies, toddlers, preschoolers are part of a FAMILY. Just as much as you are a part of your family. If parents don't mind bringing their little ones with them, and it does not take away their enjoyment of DLR...why do you care? Other than the stroller fact (and we all agree some people with strollers are just plain jerks) and that a rude parent should've left the theatre with crying toddler in tow. I bet in 90% of the times you go to DLR...you are having a great time...whether kids are there or not...

When you are a parent...you will understand. I enjoy DLR with my kids...and I enjoy going w/o them. Two different experiences totally. But...nothing beats seeing a kid going on Peter Pan for the first time...or riding Dumbo. Pure joy.

People use strollers...(I have 3 kids...all out of stroller age...but I used them when they were little...and my 3rd child was at DLR when she was 4 weeks old).
They are at the mall, they are at the zoo (why do people bring babies to the zoo? geez, really...they don't understand a Tiger vs. a Lioness do they?), they are at the local parks. It's life....its families.

Like reiterated earlier...people can be jerks. I walked in front of a girl pushing a ODV cart last time I was at DLR. After reading CM's posts of guests doing that, and them hating it...I couldn't have apologized more to that CM for my clumsiness and rudeness. Hopefully that day, she went home thinking that all Guests aren't total jerks.
:)

stinkerbell
01-03-2002, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by SweenyTodd
You know what I have never understood? How is it that a child that's too young to walk could possibly appreciate anything that's going on around them at DL anyway?

We've all seen the soccer mom and dad pushing around a kid who's less than TWO years old. And that kid is asleep in the stroller. And don't get me started on infants. IMHO, bringing an infant to DL and most crowded public places is just irresponsible.

I dunno. I just seems to me that a lot of parents want to go to Disneyland themselves but don't want to hire a babysitter. So they bring the kid along, regardless of how it may incovenience other folks.

Went to see Blast! at DCA over the weekend (loved it). Two rows in front of me there's a kid who couldn't have been more than 18 months old. Screamed through most of it. I'm sorry, but those parents should have hired a sitter or stayed home. It's rude.

Now don't get me wrong. I really love kids. I just don't understand why parents feel that its okay to bring them everywhere.
Arrrggghhhhhhhh! This again? :)

Please go to the ride etiquette thread that EandCDad linked to above. We've gone through this at length there. Are you related to Nigel2? Hhhmmmm. Just kidding. He's on your side though. Anyway, you'll see both sides of the argument there.

Here's the recap though:

1. Disneyland is for everyone. Period. Exclamation point.

2. I first went there at 19 months--an only child at the time and have loved it ever since. In fact, I just looked at the albums over the holidays with my mom and I went to DL at least 8 times before the age of 4 (and I didn't live in California!). Later, when I was six, we had APs and later my grandparents did.

3. I've taken my kids there several times and I live in OR. We make it a priority as a family to enjoy the place that has been so magical in our lives growing up. The first time I took my oldest, she was 2 1/2. She's been four times. The middle one we took when she was 22 monthsish and she had a blast---more fun than her five year old sister and her language blossomed! This year we went twice--once with a ten month old and even she had a wonderful time. One of her first words was "Disney."

4. One argument is that kids don't remember it, so why bother? That's one perspective, but here's mine: I don't care whether they remember it (although they always do!!!), what matters is that it's a wonderful tradition, they'll look back at the pictures (just as I look at my old ones) and they'll appreciate that their parents made their happiness a priority. There's nothing like the joy of seeing your child: meet Mickey (not just the first time, but EVERY time), their favorite princess, eat a Mickey ice cream sandwich, drink hot chocolate while watching the light parade, sing along to the songs they know while walking along holding hands, watching my baby bop along on my lap through Small World.........these are memories I will cherish always. I know that they won't remember all the specifics, but it's the feeling that will stay with them, and someday when they have kids, I hope they remember that feeling--the nostalgia we get when we think of Disneyland........

5. Since the last time I posted on this topic, I took just my six year old for four days and while I enjoyed our one-on-one time immensely, I wished I had the three year old and 1 year old with us, because I missed seeing their little faces light up all day long at Disneyland. It felt like an incomplete experience to me, although my six year old had the time of her life, so that makes it worth it.

I think there are insensitive folks everywhere and that particular family should have taken their child out of the Blast show, period. No question about it. Just like the crying toddlers during movies, etc. Responsible parenting means listening to your child's needs and responding appropriately.

I still think this a worthy debate........
;)

stinkerbell
01-03-2002, 10:50 AM
Um, also, welcome SweenyTodd. Sorry if we got off on the wrong foot here. Enjoy Mouse Pad!!!:D I like differing opinions, gives me something to whine about...........;)

mad4mky
01-03-2002, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by stinkerbell

:)

5. Since the last time I posted on this topic, I took just my six year old for four days and while I enjoyed our one-on-one time immensely, I wished I had the three year old and 1 year old with us, because I missed seeing their little faces light up all day long at Disneyland. It felt like an incomplete experience to me, although my six year old had the time of her life, so that makes it worth it.

;)

I know the feeling. My sweet hubby and I went to WDW (and the Disney Cruise) for my 40th birthday. We didn't take the girls. But at every turn, I said ,"oh so-and-so would love that"....or "this would be so and so's favorite ride". And I had so much fun...that I wanted to share it with my kids...and took them the next year, so they could enjoy what I was so lucky to get to see.
I enjoyed both trips. Course, mine arn't babies any longer...but I wouldn't have hesitated to take them.
Now...to Paris...that's a different story...for another day, another thread!

gautry
01-03-2002, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by SweenyTodd

COULE NOT HAVE Said IT BETTER i agree that dlr is a family place but when the kid is way to young like a month old or cannt ride anything without yelling and crying their eyes out. They should not be brought to the parks if the parents are ap people than they should just hire a baby sitter

EandCDad
01-03-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by gautry

COULE NOT HAVE Said IT BETTER i agree that dlr is a family place but when the kid is way to young like a month old or cannt ride anything without yelling and crying their eyes out. They should not be brought to the parks if the parents are ap people than they should just hire a baby sitter

You want to pay for the babysitter? Please give me your checking account number and I will start a direct debit to your account.

We have been over this and there don't seem to be new arguments for the "kids shouldn't go to Disneyland" side (generally they seem to be from kids under 20 or so who don't know anything about the subject of what kids can or can't remember or enjoy) so I will just point to the arguments that were made in the previous thread.

I would like it if people who annoyed me didn't go to DL. Perhaps I can stand at the gate and point them out and then security can block them from entering I went to Blast last month and the guy sitting behind me talked quite a bit to his son throughout the performance. It was rude. The man appeared to be about 40 and his son was about 16. Should we start leaving people those ages home also.

stinkerbell
01-03-2002, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by EandCDad

The man appeared to be about 40 and his son was about 16. Should we start leaving people those ages home also.

Yes. For another twelve years until I or my children hit these two particular ages.:)

As for the babysitter. The fun of Disneyland IS TO TAKE THEM. A babysitter wouldn't do any good. My youngest was ten months old the last time we went. Yes, taking good responsible care of her slowed us all down. Yes, we had a loaded stroller and took lots of breaks. Yes, it took us longer to get on each ride--getting fastpasses, switchpasses, loading or unloading the stroller, etc. Will I ever regret taking a child to Disneyland? Nope. Will my children ever regret going to Disneyland? Duh, nope. She had a great time. She kissed/licked Mickey, she danced during the entire Electrical Parade, she was held and greeted by each character and cast member, just as her sisters were, she got her own carousel horse (with some standby assistance, of course), she sat next to me on Pirates--didn't want to sit on my lap, thank you very much, she ate cheerios with Goofy at Goofy's Kitchen. This is an awesome place for infants, toddlers, preschoolers, elementary age on up.

Please! I hope when you have children of your own, you get a babysitter and go to Disneyland and leave them at home. See how much they appreciate it later on. :rolleyes:

gautry
01-03-2002, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by EandCDad

I would like it if people who annoyed me didn't go to DL. Perhaps I can stand at the gate and point them out and then security can block them from entering I went to Blast last month and the guy sitting behind me talked quite a bit to his son throughout the performance. It was rude. The man appeared to be about 40 and his son was about 16. Should we start leaving people those ages home also.

I am not talking about all people in strollings just the people who are ignorant of other people around then and the people who do not know how to take care of there kids. people can range in age from just born to just about to die who try to ruin the DRL experience for others.

Like this person and others like him.

The frist and last time i saw light majic ie opeing weekend I was walking down the parade route with family and friends to the old exit and this guy with a stoller was contanctly hitting me on my shings and ankleshe had no kid and the family with him had no kids. From the time we left small world until we got to the tea cups I turned around politly ask him to stop. He proceed to say, "I can do what ever the m f I want to do." We stoped and left him go in front of us, and lost him in the crowd he again came upon us at plaza rammed the stoler into my side and proceded to start punching me lets just say that he is spending a nice deserved vacation in a little cozy place in northern california.

also people like the woman in the wheel chair that was ramming people couple years back she also tried to jion the lion king parade.

SweenyTodd
01-03-2002, 01:24 PM
Wow... can't believe I started all this trouble on my second post. Ooops.

Seriously, though. I fully understand that Disneyland is a family place and that it's for EVERYONE. That's one of the things I love about it. Truth is, I *LOVE* watching the smiles and beams on the faces of children at the park. Fills me with hope for the future. Seriously.

What I don't like is rude people. But more to the point, I don't like the way society just kind of rolls over and takes it from said rude people. Nobody speaks up. NOBODY. If we were talking about Six Flags I'd have brought up the young thugs who cut in line and park security seems to do nothing about it. But we were talking about Disneyland and children. But It's not a problem unique to the happiest place on earth.

All I ask is that parents (Parenthood is a CHOICE, not an obligation) remember that their families may be the center of THEIR world but aren't the center of THE world. Most parents remember this. Many do not.

All I know is that more often then not, I am seated/standing near parents who have forgotten this. Maybe it's just bad luck on my part.

I've kind of decided I'm not taking it anymore. I've decided to become a "shusher." Yes, if your kid is yelping at a movie, I will speak up. If you feel you need to loudly talk with your kid during a performance of any kind, I will "shush" you. If you've parked your oversized SUV behemoth over two spaces at the mall, I will leave a nasty note on your windshield. I highly encourage everyone else to be the same. To quote Seinfeld "We're living in a society here!"

stinkerbell
01-03-2002, 01:30 PM
Ok, these two people make up less than .00000001% of DLR guests. ***MOST*** guests, and if you took a count of how many guests were there each day you're there and divided up the bad experiences by the total number of guests there that day, you'd find that less than .001% are rude. And don't say you're only going to count the stroller drivers, because there are MANY types of rude people, the stroller strikers are just a fraction of the rude behaviors that people exhibit at DL, or anywhere else.

Tolerance, man. Tolerance. And reading the original post on this thread--the person who was hit was turning around to tell the person off. Hello? Why give this type of attitude? Random acts of kindness can save everyone's sanity, ankles, and trips to the State Pen...........

stinkerbell
01-03-2002, 01:39 PM
Hi again, Sweeny Todd!

My above post was in regard to the one above yours.

I have become a shusher myself. Not the passive aggressive kind, but the kind that will tap the mom's shoulder and tell her I'm having a hard time hearing. Not making suggestions about how her kids should behave, but that I'M having the difficulty. Usually gets better results. I know I would appreciate that approach over a nasty Shhhh. Will not ever leave a nasty note on someone's car. Makes me feel worse about the situation, not better. I think there are ways to change people's behaviors, but the basic premise of behavior modification is if you want someone else's behavior to change--change your own. I know we can't have the effects we want to have on every jerk out there, and boy are they out there, but by being tolerant, a little more patient, smile more, and kill em with kindness we can "pay it forward" a little.

But to unilaterally say that small kids shouldn't go to Disneyland or that every parent with an oversized stroller shouldn't be there is out of line. Of course that's because I'm a parent of young children with an SUV stroller.:)

HBTiggerFan
01-03-2002, 03:21 PM
Ok first The strollers. I have been hit when I didn't do anything wrong, and I have been hit when I accidently cut someone off.

What I do is this. If I am positive I didn't cut them off...ie I have been walking in the same space for a while I let it go once, or twice. But the third time I will turn around and ask them to please be careful. If I cut a stroller off I turn around and apologize. Even if I am not sure I cut them off.

Second. Little Kids @ Disneyland. I am not a parent and do not play one on TV. But There is NOTHING wrong with parents taking little kids to Disneyland. I don't understand taking a 2 week old to the grocery store let alone Disneyland but hey, if the parents want to then its not my place to say anything :)

For all those who suggest babysitters. Have you actually looked into the cost? They are not cheap. And EandC has the right idea, give us a way to direct debit your checking acct. I babysit for only a rare few people. Friends of mine (adopted families). I do it for free. Because I love the kids and everyone in the family. On top of it now days people don't leave their kids with just anyone. So those of you who suggested babysitters, lets debit your acct so the parents can pay for them.

mousey_girl
01-03-2002, 06:30 PM
Sorry, can't stop myself from commenting...

We waited to take The Boy to DL until he was over 3 and 42 inches tall. For us it was the best decision we could have made. Our little adventure boy would have never understood why he couldn't go on certain rides if he had been shorter.
He likes the light chasers and can't stop moving while in line for rides.
During our last trip he begged for a light chaser at DCA, and being the spoiled and wonderful little boy that he is, he got one. He and another little boy played nicely together right up until the Electric Parade started. The Mean Mommy had to come out and take away the chaser and explained he was being rude to the other people watching the parade. No biggy, after the parade he got it back and we headed to the hotel. He was not allowed to take it on rides, I kept it.
He is a squirmy guy in lines, but he knows that it is rude to bump other people from behind. I hate it when it is done to me, so I do my best to make sure he doesn't do it to anyone else. From time to time he does get a bit out of control and I will have him apologize to the people in front of him.
Our first 2 trips we had a stroller. I made sure to be careful not to bump anyone, and succeeded. We were not so lucky. We were bumped, pushed and hit. We got stuck in the bottleneck leaving Frontierland after Fantasmic and Believe. We couldn't move. Luckily we had the stroller. If we hadn't Nickolas would have been trampled.
Strollers help keep the kids under control. I would rather see a dozen strollers than 1 kid running around without supervision.

oops... dang I got long winded... sorry...
I guess my point is, if we teach our kids to respect others, eventually it will sink in... Too bad there are parents that either don't know this or don't care.

(I will go back to my corner now and keep quiet :D )

Nigel2
01-03-2002, 09:44 PM
Hey who wants to share a sofa to watch the stroller wars again?:D Hmmm this war was smaller than the aussie arguemnt but it could be bigger than the texan argument:D

Believe
01-03-2002, 11:17 PM
aussie arguement ??????? WHAT ARGUEMENT ???

I'm Aussie you know !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! from Australia moved to Cal about 2 years ago !!!

better be a good arguement !!!!!!!