PDA

View Full Version : Buzz "official" opening

BJW
03-14-2005, 10:55 PM
Does anyone here know what the timeline is for the official opening of Buzz on the 17th? What all do they have planned for that day? It seems like I remember them saying they were doing something down Main Street and in front of the ride but I'm not sure. I will be there so any help you guys can give me will be appreciated. Thanks.

rripley
03-16-2005, 10:39 PM
I'm also wondering if they have anything planned. Does anybody know?

AVP
03-16-2005, 11:03 PM
There is some sort of ceremony at 10am

AVP

Saddlesore Swanson
03-17-2005, 09:30 AM
If you went to the Buzz opening today (which should be happening as I post this @ 10:23 am), please give a report! :D

AVP
03-17-2005, 12:14 PM
The Buzz ceremony was cute. Short, but cute. Here was the media alert:

More than 250 children from Green Elementary School in Lawndale, California, will invade Disneyland Thursday and help Buzz Lightyear in his battle to save the world’s power supply from the evil Emperor Zurg.

The honorary space rangers, decked out in green shirts and headwear, will join Buzz Lightyear in a parade from Sleeping Beauty Castle, down Main Street, USA, to a final showdown with Zurg at the new “Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters” attraction in Tomorrowland.

“Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters” is an interactive experience in which guests pilot their own Space Cruisers and fire personal laser cannons to protect the peace of outer space from the forces of the evil Emperor Zurg. The space rangers earn points for hitting targets and their totals are used to rank them in the official Space Ranger Corps at the end of the journey.

Later this year, the Buzz Lightyear attraction takes on a whole new dimension. People at home will be able to randomly pair up and play with guests on the attraction using web-cam technology.

Guests are being offered a “sneak peak” at the new attraction which officially opens May 5th when Disneyland launches the 18-month Happiest Celebration on Earth in honor of Disneyland’s 50th Anniversary.

We'll have photos in Monday's Update. Basically Buzz and a troop of Green Army Men came out and did a little skit, then the younger kids came out from behind the Castle. They all marched down Main Street and back up to Tomorrowland where they gathered in front of the ride entrance. They were followed by a green school bus filled with older kids.

When the kids got to Tomorrowland, four of them were given "blasters" and asked to shoot at a "target" on the panel concealing the ride entrance. They shot the target, there were pyrotechnic sparks, and then a confetti cannon shot. (Green cloverleafs, donchaknow)

When the smoke and confetti cleared, the kids went into the ride to defeat Zurg. Unfortunately, the smoke from the pyro caused the ride's fire alarm to trigger, and so the kids were herded right back out the exit. After 30 minutes or so, once the fire marshall cleared the area, the kids got to take their first rides.

The line for day guests to ride filled Triton's Gardens, and the line just for FastPasses was all the way out to the Astro Orbitor.

AVP

cstephens
03-17-2005, 12:22 PM
and then a confetti cannon shot.

Disney never fails to please! :D

Earkid
03-17-2005, 12:24 PM
LMAO about the fire alarm.

nerdeus
03-17-2005, 02:51 PM
HAHA! I had no idea that the the smoke triggered the alarm. I was involved in the event -- one of those dressed in ALL green... ;-)
If anyone has any pictures, PLEASE let me know!!! THANKS!!

AaronInCal
03-17-2005, 02:53 PM
Over at MI, there are some pics posted of the Buzz ceremony

HorizonsA
03-17-2005, 03:10 PM
The line for day guests to ride filled Triton's Gardens, and the line just for FastPasses was all the way out to the Astro Orbitor.

AVP

I can't wait to stand in that line! It'll bring back precious memories of the Rocket Rods line. Seriously I am looking forward to it. Since it will be my first time I would rather wait in a line so I could see everything that inside before you ride, rather than having a Fastpass where you walk right through.

cstephens
03-17-2005, 03:12 PM
Since it will be my first time I would rather wait in a line so I could see everything that inside before you ride, rather than having a Fastpass where you walk right through.

The only part you'll really miss doing standby rather than Fastpass is seeing and experiencing what it's like to wind around Ariel's Grotto (the meet-and-greet, not the Ariel-less restaurant). The way they have the Fastpass set up, you go in a different door, but it joins the regular line fairly soon after you enter the show building, and the Fastpass line is themed the same as the standby line before the joining point.

VickiC
03-17-2005, 03:25 PM
This in the first completely new ride since they started Fast Pass isn't it? I would expect it to be better integrated than some of the others where it was added later.

RideMax Mark
03-17-2005, 03:39 PM
the line just for FastPasses was all the way out to the Astro Orbitor.

AVP

The long line for FPs may have been short-lived. By 2pm I was able to walk-up to the FP machines without any trouble, and the stand-by line was posted at 35 minutes.

karl
03-17-2005, 04:27 PM
Not surprised they had a monster surge right after it "opened". While short, the celebration covered a wide area of Disneyland - from the Castle down Main Street and back to Tomorrowland during the time many would be arriving.

Jeremiah
03-17-2005, 06:36 PM
This in the first completely new ride since they started Fast Pass isn't it? I would expect it to be better integrated than some of the others where it was added later.

Not the first. At DL Pooh was the first one and over in DCA all there major attraction(s) opened with it, but it does work out really well. Also as far as why the extened for buzz is the old Rocket Rods queue.....they used like ever foot of space for the attraction. As much of a big fan as I am for themed queues, I would rather have a great ride and a ok queue then a great queue and a not so much attraction.

J

HorizonsA
03-17-2005, 09:41 PM
I hope I'll get to ride it soon. I was there on the 12th and it was open for soft openings. I was so tempted. But I had to resist. I wouldn't want to spoil my "Maiden Voyage" alone. I'd rather share with family and friends. I don't even want to see any pictures, videos, or posts (yet) from people describing the attraction. I want this to be a totally new experience instead of already knowing what's going to happen next without even riding the thing.