PDA

View Full Version : Best Table Service Restaurant?

orangechicken
03-14-2005, 07:32 PM
I'm taking a trip mid-April with my mom for 4 nights. I was wondering what the best restaurant would be to surprise her with for a nice dinner. Price is no problem, just mainly looking for a quiet place with good food. Thanks!

bradk
03-14-2005, 07:35 PM
probably napa rose in the GCH.

nursemelis374
03-14-2005, 07:35 PM
Blue Bayou gets my vote!

Stupid_American
03-14-2005, 07:52 PM
Napa Rose is one of Southern California's highest rated restaurants.
It just happens to be part of Disneyland Resort!

Suburban Plankton
03-14-2005, 08:52 PM
The Vineyard Room inside California Adventure is wonderful. We had to decide between it and the Napa Rose last year for our anniversary. I've never been to the Napa Rose, but I'm certainly not at all disappointed with our choice. And if you get a late reservation (7:00 - 7:30) you can watch the Electrical Parade from your table.

Disneyfreak
03-14-2005, 09:00 PM
Napa Rose.

JeffG
03-14-2005, 09:12 PM
If price isn't an object, I would definitely recommend going with either Napa Rose at the Grand Californian or Granville's at the Disneyland Hotel, depending on which menu better matches your tastes. I've never tried the Vineyard Room, but, based on reputation, it might also be a decent choice, if the menu they are offering at the time is to your taste.

Another really good choice is Catal in Downtown Disney, which has exceptionally good, very well-presented food. It is probably a small step below the others both in price and overall experience, but the somewhat more traditional menu and the more casual atmosphere might make it preferable in some cases.

While the Blue Bayou is certainly the best themed restaurant at the resort, the food and service quality is far below the other restaurants that I mentioned. If time allows, it is worth visiting just for the experience, but I wouldn't put it as a top choice for a special occasion.

-Jeff

mkcbunny
04-20-2005, 06:57 PM
I've been to Napa Rose twice, and on this trip, it's where we are spending our one "fancy meal," yet again. We had excellent food, wine, and service both times. And it's a beautiful restaurant, as well.

Re: NR ribs, we had them once when we ordered appetizers out in the lounge area. We sat there for a glasss of wine while they had a jazz band playing and ordered some small plates. My recollection is that they were delicious, but the portion is a small appetizer size, vs. a meal portion. And I dunno if they even have them anymore, of course. That was over a year ago.

Re: The Vineyard Room, can someone comment on the difference between the two tasting menu options?
http://www.dlresortinfo.com/vineyard.html

If you go for the Three Course, do you skip Course 2? Or pick one from Course 2 or 3? Which three groups are actually part of the Three Course?

Thanks

SoCalSteven
04-20-2005, 07:01 PM
If you go for the Three Course, do you skip Course 2? Or pick one from Course 2 or 3? Which three groups are actually part of the Three Course?
I seem to recall that you don't get the 2nd Course.

I have had great experiences at Granville's and Hook's Point. Blue Bayou can be hit-and-miss. Haven't had a chance to try the Napa Rose or Vineyard Room yet. Going to Yambuki on Saturday though.

mkcbunny
04-20-2005, 07:34 PM
I seem to recall that you don't get the 2nd Course.

Thanks.

Also, sorry to confuse anyone with the "ribs" info. I have been diligently searching restaurant threads and going from one to another for info, and I got this thread confused with another on about the Trattoria. My head hurts. :(

TrekkieDad
04-20-2005, 08:00 PM
I wouldn't characterize the Blue Bayou as quiet, but it's an enjoyable place to eat. I've eaten at Catal twice: once for dinner, once for breakfast. Both meals were outstanding. I've also had a couple of really nice meals at Ralph Brennan's, but that's not really a quiet place, either.

mkcbunny
04-20-2005, 08:02 PM
They have breakfast at Catal? Didn't know!

Emma
04-20-2005, 08:03 PM
Napa Rose.

The Blue Bayou has a really cool atmosphere, but the food is average, at best.

--Emma

cstephens
04-20-2005, 10:43 PM
They have breakfast at Catal? Didn't know!

Well, technically, Catal is the upstairs restaurant, which is only open for dinner except for special events. The downstairs restaurant (inside the rotunda and in the outdoor seating section) is the Uva Bar, and yes, they serve breakfast. I haven't had a chance to update the menu lately (hopefully soon), but this is what they were serving as of summer 2004 (http://www.colddeadfish.net/catal/cataluvabarbreakfastmenu.html), and I don't think the menu has changed much.

KarenW2
04-21-2005, 12:40 AM
so Napa wouldn't be on that list, if you ask me! Each time we've eaten there, it's been very busy and very noisy, especially considering they have chefs right out there, doing their thing, where you can see AND hear them!!

Granville's, on the other hand, in Disneyland Hotel, is what I consider to be an oasis in the midst of the chaos that is the parks!! It's set towards the back of the hotel and is very nice and quiet. You can get a very nice meal with very nice service. It makes a big difference to me. If a place is noisy and chaotic, I have a hard time carrying on a conversation with family and/or friends, and I don't feel the meal has settled as well either. I much prefer a quieter atmosphere, where you don't have to yell to be heard above the noise of the restaurant and you can relax over the meal.

To me, eating at Granville's is almost as good as eating at Club 33, if you're basing it on food and ambiance. On second thought, it may be a little better, since you can get a reservation much easier at Granville's and you don't have to go into DL to eat there.

If you're willing to go to a restaurant outside of the Disneyland Resort, let me know and I'll tell you about our favorite place in the area, for a really nice dinner, that might be a nice surprise for your mom, depending on what she likes. It's called The Hobbit and it's in the city of Orange, probably about 20 mins from DL, depending on traffic.

Hope you have a great time, wherever you decide to go!

sdfilmcritic
04-21-2005, 01:51 AM
Blue Bayou gets my vote!Ditto. (And the Christopher Walken avatar still freaks me out. :p But when does he ever look normal?)

04-21-2005, 04:49 AM
so Napa wouldn't be on that list, if you ask me! Each time we've eaten there, it's been very busy and very noisy, especially considering they have chefs right out there, doing their thing, where you can see AND hear them!!

You've eaten at Napa Rose more than me, KarenW2, so I bow to your experience. It just doesn't jibe with my one visit last October. At all.

I would describe Napa Rose as calm, bordering on serene. There is an open kitchen but unless you're sitting at the counter area, you hardly notice.

sleepyjeff
04-21-2005, 09:25 AM
I have always liked the Carnation Cafe on Main St. Although it is in the middle of it all it somehow manages to remain a relaxed and somewhat quiet place to eat.

cstephens
04-21-2005, 09:45 AM
I enjoyed our visit to Granville's, but given a choice between Granville's and Napa Rose, I'd pick Napa Rose hands down. If you want more traditional fare, then Granville's is probably better, but I love the variety of stuff that Napa offers, and I also really like the open kitchen, especially if you're at a counter seat.

adriennek
04-21-2005, 12:39 PM
Napa. Rose.

There's nothing more to say....

Adrienne

Dream Again
04-21-2005, 01:38 PM
My vote goes to Blue Bayou, water seating :)

katya
04-21-2005, 02:11 PM
Definitely the Napa Rose. We've only been once, but we had an extremely good time. We sat out on the terrace, which we had all to ourselves (good thing, because we got a bit silly).

I've finally scanned in the pictures from that night.

http://katechrist.typepad.com/

pirateabbie
04-21-2005, 02:32 PM
Definitely the Napa Rose. We've only been once, but we had an extremely good time. We sat out on the terrace, which we had all to ourselves (good thing, because we got a bit silly).

I've finally scanned in the pictures from that night.

http://katechrist.typepad.com/

Oi veh! No wonder my memory of that night is so hazy! We simply must go back, dahling!

Photographer
04-21-2005, 05:19 PM
The Vineyard Room in DCA gets my vote as well. One of the best meals I've ever had and the chef worked around my food allergies. They take their time and don't bring one course immediately after another, so you have time to digest. It's also a good spot to watch the Electric Light Parade, if you sit by the wall.