PDA

View Full Version : 15 year old going solo

DefyingGravity
03-14-2005, 10:41 AM
Hey everybody. So, I'm going to the parks on April 11-13 with my mom. (I'm 15) We are staying at the GCH. Although she enjoys DL, she has told me that she will probably not go to the parks on one of the days. Which means I'm going to go solo. Any tips? I've read the wonderful article on going solo, and I've read the other similar threads. What I'm a little worried about is will I be getting tons of strange glances from people (including CM's) because I'm a teenager, and teens seem to be, well, not very well liked? Also, in other threads, people have encouraged others to strike up conversations with strangers, but seeing as I'm a teen, would anybody listen? I'm definitely the kind of teen who connects with adults well, and thinks that the way most teens act at the park is ridiculous. So, unless I see some other teen like me, I probably am not going to be talking with my peers much. Any tips? Should I still go solo? Or should I not go to the parks that day? Any help is appreciated!

sdfilmcritic
03-14-2005, 10:49 AM
I highly doubt you would receive strange looks from CMs or other guests. I've seen many teenagers walking around the parks without chaperones or parents following them. As for striking up conversations with strangers I would recommend keeping your ears open when you're standing in the lines for rides. If there is someone close to you who is talking about a subject you know about feel free to politely drop in with a thought. Don't come across as rude or as a Mr. Know-It-All type because then they might think you are butting in to their private conversations. If you don't feel comfortable joining in on conversations there is no requirement for it. You will get through the park quicker by yourself because you don't have to confer with other people in your group for every decision that needs to be made. You just go and do whatever you want to do. There is no pressure for group decisions. You'll have fun. There is no need for worry here.

sami869
03-14-2005, 01:35 PM
You might want to bring a good book or gameboy to help pass the time in lines, just in case you're unable to find people to talk to.

Mukta
03-14-2005, 01:59 PM
I think you should go to the parks and I think you will have a great time. There is something nice about going at your own pace, seeing only what you want to see and spending a peaceful day people watching instead of talking. I almost always go to the parks by myself. I used to think that people were looking at me, but I realized that they are on vacation at DL and not paying attention to me at all.
If you have an ipod or a walkman, take it with you. Take a book to read when you eat your meals. Enjoy the scenery while you are standing in line. I think it will be a great day.

Captain Josh
03-14-2005, 02:00 PM
Ah, the "art" of being alone. Something I perfected over time. Well, the first thing to do is to accept flying solo. Don't get lonely out there. The second thing to do is....realize you are in control of your own fate. You can ride WHATEVER you want, WHENEVER you want to. And with that said, you can ride a particular ride as much as you want. Ever wonder what happens if you try to ride the Jungle Cruise 5 times in a row? Well, not a whole lot, but now you can find things like this out, without boring the rest of your party.

Like I always say, what is most important is to HAVE FUN, whether you are by yourself, or with 100 other people, FUN is most important of all.

MsYumiBr
03-14-2005, 02:09 PM
It looks like all 3 hotels have arcades. You might check out the arcade for other solo teens to pair up with and hit the park. I see a lot of solo teens in the single rider lines. If you're old enough to take driving lessons, you're old enough to run around DL by yourself. Just be smart and stay in the crowds. I see a lot of kids with headphones too. You can always go swimming too.

Arnie
03-14-2005, 02:19 PM
You can always go swimming too.

Unless the pool has a lifeguard on duty, I would not reccomend going swimming solo in any situation. Better safe than drowned.

I know AJTW was just making a friendly suggestion, swimming is fine just be sure your safe doing whatever your doing to do.

TOTFan
03-14-2005, 02:45 PM
He's 15 not 5. I think he will be ok

Hakuna Makarla
03-14-2005, 02:47 PM
He's 15 not 5. I think he will be ok

LOL!!
Any way another guy going alone, well we are all gulity of going alone I think and most love it! you will have the best time, seeing things you want and not being dragged around. Have a ball !!!!!!!

RemainSeatedPlease
03-14-2005, 02:59 PM
you should try following someone around the park...k thats sounds a bit weird, but it's fun! It could be like a crazy movie, trying to keep up with them without being seen! I have never done it solo, but it could be intresting :D ...k now i sound reallly weird..but me and my friends are wierd..but we have fun! I hope you have lots of fun too!

MsYumiBr
03-14-2005, 03:02 PM
What! The hotel doesn't have a lifeguard? Isn't Disney too lawsuitaphobic not to, or do they have signs posted "swim at your own risk" on every table, chair, wall, door, and bathrobe. And have you *ever* seen those pools empty? I saw people swimming during a fully blown rainstorm with lightning and everything. Not to mention, have you seen the 15 year olds these days? They are bigger than me, waaay bigger. If I can swim alone, and I go ocean swimming, they can too. Just remember the stay in a crowd rule and all will be just fine, and don't forget your cellphone in the park and set it on vibrate. You'll never be able to hear it. Moms like to check in. ;)

sdfilmcritic
03-14-2005, 03:16 PM
you should try following someone around the park...k thats sounds a bit weird, but it's fun! It could be like a crazy movie, trying to keep up with them without being seen! I have never done it solo, but it could be intresting :D ...k now i sound reallly weird..but me and my friends are wierd..but we have fun! I hope you have lots of fun too!Remain, you're not the only one who has done this. :~D Why do you think I have a restraining order instituted by Belle's private lawyer? J/K People!!!! I'm joking!!! But in all seriousness this is a fun little thing to practice. How do you think I have honed my skills and a private investigator and spy for the Lonely Hearts Club?

Drince88
03-14-2005, 04:13 PM
What I'm a little worried about is will I be getting tons of strange glances from people (including CM's) because I'm a teenager, and teens seem to be, well, not very well liked?

It's the behavior/mentality/lack of a full brain between all the bodies when you get a group of teens together, that results in the reaction you mention here. If you're going by yourself, you should have no problems. And heck, as someone said, if you're old enough to take driving lessons, you're old enough to be in the park by yourself. And you COULD be 16 and therefore drove yourself!

I had a blast in WDW last year starting conversations with others in line - like someone said earlier - keep your ears open and see what life brings. For me, I don't bring headphones or gameboys or books into the park because I want to interact with people (and I don't want to lug more stuff around).

Disney_Nut
03-14-2005, 04:24 PM
My first trip to DL was when I was 15. I spent a lot of the time separated from my family, and I was able to go on a lot of rides they wouldn't have gone on. If I recall correctly, no one looked at me funny, even though all the other kids were in school. :D

SCUBAbe
03-14-2005, 04:46 PM
What! The hotel doesn't have a lifeguard? Isn't Disney too lawsuitaphobic not to, or do they have signs posted "swim at your own risk" on every table, chair, wall, door, and bathrobe.

actually, they tattoo it on you upon entering the swimming area.

DefyingGravity
03-14-2005, 06:04 PM
Thanks for all your responses! I'm definitely going to use some of the tips menioned. I think I'll go solo, and like some have suggested, just keep my ears open. Thanks!

Wesley815
03-14-2005, 07:19 PM
actually, they tattoo it on you upon entering the swimming area.LOL!!! Interesting idea, hehe :fez:

WITron
03-14-2005, 08:48 PM
I am surprised that no one has suggested one of the greatest activities for a single teen at the park for a day alone, picking up girls.

TOTFan
03-14-2005, 09:09 PM
Ok, but what if he's not into girls. That wouldn't be much fun.

DefyingGravity
03-14-2005, 09:22 PM
No, I'm definitely interested :D I'm just not the super outgoing type who is able to just flirt with and pick up girls instantly. Much more of the quiet intellectual type than the partier. Believe me, if I could, I would! I'll take any tips on that subject too! :D

MsYumiBr
03-14-2005, 09:26 PM
Okay. Mom's leaving the thread now boys.

sdfilmcritic
03-14-2005, 11:11 PM
Okay. Mom's leaving the thread now boys.Goodbye Mom. Let's talk fun stuff now!