PDA

View Full Version : Mini Trip Report - Sun, March 13th

SoCalSteven
03-14-2005, 08:53 AM
Well, yesterday was a much needed visit to Disneyland. Both my g/f (Arin) and I have been working a lot and we haven't been able to go as often as usual. It had been at least two months since our last trip. (I'm sure that got a big "Boo hoo!" for many. I know lots of you aren't lucky enough to live nearby, sorry) Anyway, we didn't get to do too much, but we both had a blast!

Got a late start, so we didn't get to the park until about noon. We first headed to Buzz and the outdoor queue was full. The display said it was a 45 minute wait. Fastpasses were good at 3:10PM so we snagged a couple and headed to the Tiki Room. We first got in the long line for Dole Whips. By the time we had our Dole Whips in hand, the Tiki Room waiting area was jam packed, so we headed for NOS.

We headed for the Jewel of Orleans, our first stop in NOS every time. As always, the first thing I checked was if my cufflinks were still there. You may have seen them in the small case on the wall: engraved platinum over 14k white gold with diamonds on one side and sapphires on the other, Circa 1920. Well, much to my relief, they were still there. I've been eyeing them for over a year, but I've been paying for Arin's engagement ring from there for the past year. Well, while Arin was trying on a couple necklaces, I finished the payments on her ring! :D

As we have many times before, we asked them to run the numbers on the cufflinks. I'm suprised they keep humoring us, as we've probably had them do that a half-dozen times before. We take the card with the details and decide we are on our way to the Haunted Mansion. As soon as we get outside, she asks me if I need to use the restroom (my very own distraction technique, I'm impressed! lol!). Not catching on, I tell her no. Then she asks me if I want the cufflinks. I just look at her and sort of say "yea...why?" She asks me again, so I tell her yes. (she knew the answer to that question anyway) She immediately marches us back into the jewelry shop and tells Karl "we want them." He jokingly asks, are you sure? Positive? Absoluetly? All the while Arin was insisting. So, he wrote up all the paperwork, and boom, they are ours! :D

That is, by far, the coolest thing Arin has ever done for me. She's the greatest!

The rest of our day was rather uneventful. Rode Peter Pan's Flight, then went on Buzz with our fastpasses. Only waited a couple minutes. Very fun ride. I loved being able to spin the car. I think I did pretty well for a first try:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/im2smrt4u/f7395b97.jpg

Arin was a little bitter about my score vs. hers. lol!

We saw the Tiki Room show, then set out in search of food. We eventually settled on Granvilles Steakhouse after a lot of browsing through Downtown Disney. I had the bone-in Ribeye and a side of forest mushrooms and she had the Pre-Fixe menu. We both loved our meal. The price wasn't too bad either for all the food we got: $81.06 with an $18.94 tip. We had great service, my only gripe was that we had the booth right outside the kitchen. It wasn't noisy, but our server would just pop around the corner and loudly ask if everything was alright. Startled us a couple times! :eek:

Went back to the car for jackets, which didn't take long at all, we had a parking space about 15 feet from the escalators. It was great! Headed back for the Haunted Mansion. Loved the new changes. Rode Indy, got some candy, and called it a night at about nine.

Well, that was a lot longer than I thought it would be, so I applaud you if you got this far! ;)

Earkid
03-14-2005, 09:03 AM
AHHHH!! Does she know about the ring or is it a surprise? That was a great story!!

SoCalSteven
03-14-2005, 09:09 AM
AHHHH!! Does she know about the ring or is it a surprise? That was a great story!!
She discovered it a while back. She doesn't know it is paid off though.

Hakuna Makarla
03-14-2005, 09:10 AM
I loved this report, but man are you kidding about the 81.00 dollar dinner for2 :( man thats high priced for just 2 people . yikes. I am thrilled you paid off her ring, and thrilled you got the cuff links, I did not know men wore those any more? weird. :)

SoCalSteven
03-14-2005, 09:16 AM
I loved this report, but man are you kidding about the 81.00 dollar dinner for2 :( man thats high priced for just 2 people . yikes. I am thrilled you paid off her ring, and thrilled you got the cuff links, I did not know men wore those any more? weird. :)
I'm going to have to wear shirts with cuffs just because! :D

As for the dinner, the last nice steakhouse I went to was Ruth's Chris in Vegas and for Arin and I it was $130. (that was without wine, a friend brought a bottle, he had to pay a $30 corking fee though! OUCH!) I had a better overall experience at Granville's.

JosieGirl71
03-14-2005, 09:32 AM
Great trip report, SoCalSteven! Granville's sounds wonderful! I have to say that I haven eaten at the Ruth's Chris in Portland and it was my favorite restaurant of all time. However, I didn't pay for it as it was our office Christmas dinner and the boss picked up the tab. :D

Those cufflinks sound amazing. You will have to post a pic of them so we can admire them!

sdfilmcritic
03-14-2005, 09:58 AM
You got those cufflinks? Sweet! I was eyeing some of the gold rimmed antique wrist watches myself. Awesome trip report!

P.S. Loved the Buzz pic and score!

SoCalSteven
03-14-2005, 10:50 AM
Great trip report, SoCalSteven! Granville's sounds wonderful! I have to say that I haven eaten at the Ruth's Chris in Portland and it was my favorite restaurant of all time. However, I didn't pay for it as it was our office Christmas dinner and the boss picked up the tab. :D

Those cufflinks sound amazing. You will have to post a pic of them so we can admire them!
I'd say Ruth's Chris has a bit better steak, but they are way more money, and the one in Vegas wasn't a very nice location or atmosphere. The Ruth's Chris in Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii was much nicer. The best steak I've ever had in a very open and bright resteraunt on the western beaches of Maui at dusk. Now THAT was a nice dinner.

I'll have to get pics of the cufflinks next time I'm there.

SoCalSteven
03-14-2005, 10:51 AM
You got those cufflinks? Sweet! I was eyeing some of the gold rimmed antique wrist watches myself. Awesome trip report!

P.S. Loved the Buzz pic and score!
Thanks!

Speaking of the Buzz pic, why was it linked? It isn't that big and I'm hosting it myself.

sdfilmcritic
03-14-2005, 10:52 AM
Speaking of the Buzz pic, why was it linked? It isn't that big and I'm hosting it myself.There are rules about displaying images in the forums. If it's over a certain size in height and width dimensions it should be linked for the benefit of those who may have a slower connection and may not be able to download the forum pages as quickly.

SoCalSteven
03-14-2005, 06:53 PM
There are rules about displaying images in the forums. If it's over a certain size in height and width dimensions it should be linked for the benefit of those who may have a slower connection and may not be able to download the forum pages as quickly.
Alright. That makes sense.

SoCalSteven
04-02-2005, 09:08 AM
Took a while, but I finally got pics of the cufflinks!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/im2smrt4u/Disneyland/cufflinks2.jpg

They aren't the best quality pics, but it is hard to get good photos at night inside there. It is very dark! Had to use the flash.

Earkid
04-02-2005, 09:48 AM
That's a good pic of them. They are pretty darn nifty. Small shiney things are so hard to take pics of. Thanks for sharing, I was curious to see them.

disneyfand
04-02-2005, 12:42 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for the trip report. For us who are just chompping at the bit to go on our vacations, this is almost like being there. TY.

SoCalSteven
04-02-2005, 11:42 PM
That's a good pic of them. They are pretty darn nifty. Small shiney things are so hard to take pics of. Thanks for sharing, I was curious to see them.
Glad I could post the pic! :D