PDA

View Full Version : What exactly did they do to the Tiki Room?

Pages : [1] 2

jon80flt
03-13-2005, 09:04 PM
Hi All,
The Enchanted Tiki Room was open today, so we saw the show twice.

Can someone tell me why The Enchanted Tiki Room (ETR) had been closed for so long?...what exactly did they referb? I could tell the bathroom had a fresh coat of paint, and from scout pictures on Mouse Planet, they got a new thatched roof... but everything inside was exactly as I remembered from a couple years ago... even down to the ratty rattan ceiling mats.

I don't think they even changed the sound system, because when the CM did his spiel at the beginning of the show, there was absolutley no bass to his amplified voice... he sounded like he was talking into a tin can.

Also, I noticed that there were some sort of lenses above the four main parrots in the show... does anyone know what they are for? If you look to where the perch comes together above their heads, hidden on the underside of the junction are what appears to be a 1" fish-eye lens...it's not a light...or, at least, light never came out of it... could it be some sort of camera lens? :confused:

BTW, the Dole Whip Float was devine!!! :fez:

Jon

disneyguy247
03-13-2005, 09:06 PM
they totally gutted the building and replaced all the woodwork, and all the anamatronics are new.

karl
03-13-2005, 09:17 PM
It is the same show, thankfully!

I was just delighted that the animation was in sync, everything felt super-colorful. I believe the singing flowers were all new, the tiki's were definitely new. The fountain seemed new - I dont recall the pineapples in the center before. Maybe the key birds were refurbed originals.

My overall opinion was that it may be better now than when it was first opened. Just that glowing a review.

But most exciting was the crowds for it. In some cases a queue running well outside the area. I heard every show on Saturday was at or near 100% capacity.

-- Karl

Opus1guy
03-13-2005, 09:18 PM
Now the flowers sing words and the birds croon.

And they replaced Wally Boag's voice on Jose, with that of Bill Dana.

;)

Mark Goldhaber
03-13-2005, 09:23 PM
Now the flowers sing words and the birds croon.

And they replaced Wally Boag's voice on Jose, with that of Bill Dana.

;)
:rolleyes:

cstephens
03-14-2005, 12:04 AM
The fountain seemed new - I dont recall the pineapples in the center before.l

Yep, the pineapples have been there for as long as I remember going to the show. They're just much cleaner now. It was fun to see everything inside so clean and pretty.

We went to the Tiki Room at about 4:30 or so on Sunday, and the shows were packed. We stood in line outside as the people inside the waiting area were being let into the showroom because they'd already reached capacity for that show. Some time after they let us into the waiting area, I noticed that they were turning people away at the entrance, telling them that this show was sold out and that they could come back or wait in line for the next show. When we got out and walked past the line again, it was still packed to the gills, and the line for the dole stand was really long as well.

I got to have a dole whip again. Mmmmmm, good stuff.

Disneyfreak
03-14-2005, 12:41 AM
1. Gutted to fix termite problem.
2. New animatronics with all new feathers.
3. All new paint with details. If you look closely everything was painted from the gods outside to the little things. Before there was close to no paint on any of them.
4. Fixed effects.
5. New LED lighting
6. New Sound System
7. Music converted to digital and cleaned up.
8. Dole Juice Bar was enlarged
9. New torches and big sign.
10. Replaced TV outside.
11. Added Animatronics

Family5LovesDisney
03-14-2005, 02:43 AM
I can't wait to see it! THIS WEEK! WE leave tomorrow! :)

I can hardly remember the original show from WDW......I maybe saw it once when I was pretty young. I have seen the "Under New Mangement" show and was disappointed. So it will be nice to see the ORIGINAL, fully restored!

nursemelis374
03-14-2005, 08:16 AM
We went in the Tike Room yesterday after MA after waiting for about 45 minutes. It was crazy to see the queue so packed! It was nice to see everything sparkly and new. The sound was great too! One thing: What's up with all the extra chairs in there? We sat in the back on the side nearest the exit doors and you couldn't even walk down the aisle, we had to scoot along the cushions and then our legs barely fit. Did they jam a bunch of extra chairs in there because it was so crowded? It was weird.

I am so glad that it is back!!!!!!!

SoCalSteven
03-14-2005, 08:19 AM
I'm also glad it is back. Saw the show yesterday as well.

Everything is the same, but different. Much cleaner and nicer all around. No change to the show though.

disneyfn
03-14-2005, 08:25 AM
Talked to a CM who told me that the chairs inside are temporary. The real chairs are still on a boat coming from China.Also the dole film outside has a new ending.

karl
03-14-2005, 08:34 AM
On the chairs.. yeah, looks like someone made a massive IKEA run and plastic wire-tied them together.

But not complaining at all.

I was thinking - isnt it wonderful that when an old show looks this fresh and good and classy, they can pack'em in!

pisces
03-14-2005, 10:40 AM
I cannot wait. This was always one of my favorites, and I missed it my last trip.

And now I've got to wait until December.

I just hope it's still fresh and new by then, and doesn't get trampled over too much by the time I make my way there.

I'm afraid that new feeling will be gone and it will be all scuffed by the time I arrive in December.

MetalliKitty
03-14-2005, 11:54 AM
What I want to know is what is the deal with the Offenbach number I have heard (okay, READ) mentions on its not being included? Was it in the show pre refurb or not?
The reason I ask is; a description of the Offenbach piece stated it was the part where every item in the room joins in?

If it is not now included why have people been reporting that the show remains unchanged, just converted to digital audio?

I am completely baffled...but really REALLY looking forward to Tiki again nevertheless! (And fresh pineapple spears -yum YUM!- so worth the tummyache they give me sometimes.) :eek: :D

Please inform!

sdfilmcritic
03-14-2005, 11:56 AM
I think the vocal audio was dropped lower. I could barely hear the voices during some parts of the chorus singing.

And does anybody else find it strange they don't have more Hawaiian native characters in a show that is supposed to be Tropical themed?

bradk
03-14-2005, 12:03 PM
the offenbach number was in the ORIGINAL show, but dropped in 97 when the show was shortened by about 5 minutes. it has not returned either.

JivinJungleSkipper85
03-14-2005, 12:17 PM
Some of the CM's that have been working Tiki from soft openings to re-openings have said that although the first few shows of the day are sometimes slow, they've had full counts until closing...yay!

And is it just me, or were there a few extra lines added into the show? Not to mention another god added into the que speil...

Terri
03-14-2005, 01:59 PM
Bill Dana...as in the guy from "I Dream of Jeannie" and "The Bob Newhart Show"?
I'm confused as to why they would replace Wally Boag's voice?

Other than that...my DS and I can't wait to see it this May!!! :p

Leash81
03-14-2005, 02:58 PM
Do the birds and flowers still make that clikcing noise when they sing. I heard somewhere (I think it might have been a previous post) that they were going to put felt pads on the beaks to stop the clicking. I hope they left it in.

sdfilmcritic
03-14-2005, 03:13 PM
Do the birds and flowers still make that clikcing noise when they sing. I heard somewhere (I think it might have been a previous post) that they were going to put felt pads on the beaks to stop the clicking. I hope they left it in.Supposedly the clapping noises were to be quieted, but when the Birds of Paradise starting singing I could hear the noise.

Opus1guy
03-14-2005, 03:36 PM
Bill Dana...as in the guy from "I Dream of Jeannie" and "The Bob Newhart Show"?

Nope. That was Bill Daily.

I'm confused as to why they would replace Wally Boag's voice?

They didn't. You must have missed the winky guy there.

Bill Dana was a famous television writer who gained great fame as a comedian with his Jose Jimenez routine. Jose was a Mexican character who was an astronaut (among other professions). "My name Jose Jimenez..." was a rather famous "line" in the 1960's. Would be totally "politically incorrect" today. In the book and motion picture "The Right Stuff" there was great coverage of how Mercury astronaut Alan Shepherd would crack up everyone with his impersonation of Jose.

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/PersonDetail/personid-4850

So that's the where that comes from. Of course, you'd have to know that to get my joke. ;)

But Bill Daily was another very funny guy! :)

Terri
03-14-2005, 03:45 PM
[QUOTE=Opus1guy]Bill Dana was a famous television writer who gained great fame as a comedian with his Jose Jimenez routine. Jose was a Mexican character who was an astronaut (among other professions). "My name Jose Jimenez..." was a rather famous "line" in the 1960's. Would be totally "politically incorrect" today. In the book and motion picture "The Right Stuff" there was great coverage of how Mercury astronaut Alan Shepherd would crack up everyone with his impersonation of Jose.
QUOTE]

Okay...that sounds very familiar! I get it now :rolleyes: I knew the name was familiar, but couldn't (obviously) place it!
Thanks!

MrsG
03-14-2005, 05:03 PM
Okay...that sounds very familiar! I get it now :rolleyes: I knew the name was familiar, but couldn't (obviously) place it!
Thanks!
You shouldn't sweat it. It was a very obscure joke. :p

Germboy
03-14-2005, 05:33 PM
I saw the show on Friday afternoon. I believe we were one of the first audiences to see it after it reopened, and the CM told us it was not supposed to open until the next day.

I loved it. I loved that they kept the original show. The audio sounds as though it were recorded yesterday; crystal clear highs and strong bass.

The next day, I noticed that the shirt I wore when I saw the show had blue, purple, red, and yellow feathers on it. What a neat feeling to have Tiki Room feathers on you!! :)

Fozzie
03-14-2005, 10:33 PM
Do the birds and flowers still make that clikcing noise when they sing. I heard somewhere (I think it might have been a previous post) that they were going to put felt pads on the beaks to stop the clicking. I hope they left it in.

Yeah, the flowers and extra birds click like crazy. I was expecting them to fix that issue, but they didn't. Too bad. It's distracting.... :|

Also, why don't the "extra" birds move in sync with the music? They all move randomly, and flap their beaks out of sequence with the words....