PDA

View Full Version : Geeky Question

Pages : [1] 2

HorizonsA
03-13-2005, 02:44 PM
This may sound like the nerdiest thing, but does anyone get irritated, or annoyed, or not annoyed per se, but you kind of have to roll your eyes when you hear someone miss pronounce attractions or give entirely different names to attractions?...Here comes the story

I was at Disneyland this past Saturday because I wanted to see the Enchanted Tiki Room for the first time in eight months. Anyway, after the show I walked though Advenntureland and I was kind of in a traffic flow. This guy behind me gets a phone call and starts to tell whoever it was where he was in the park.

"Hey, where do you want to meet? I am in the Adventure Area, by the Jungle Book ride. The kids are on the Tom Sawyer House ride. We were supposed to go the Jungle Book but it looks like it's closed."

I almost wanted to roll my eyes or laugh. There has never been a Jungle Book ride. There is no "ride" for Tom Sawyer. Tom Sawyer Island does not count as a ride. Sorry, this maybe a stupid thread, what can I say, I'm a Disneyland freak and I like to hear rides and attractions pronounced correctly.

I also heard someone say he wanted to go on the Autotopia. What's wrong with that? Oh, and I hardly ever hear peope mention Star Tours. It's always the Star Wars thing, or some people just call it Star Wars.

--Off the subject, Tiki Room was awesome. Unfortunetly, no Offenbach, but it's still a great show.

Mommy2NicknMax
03-13-2005, 02:51 PM
No this doesn't bother me. I just figure some people (like me) like to get to know more about the park than other people. Sometimes I've laughed to myself over something I've overheard but it doesn't really bother me. I know for sure that my Dad (who's from MD) will call all the attractions by different names while he's there. He's already done it several times when we've talked about their trip over the phone. I would hate to think that someone would roll their eyes at my father for referring to the Haunted Mansion as the Haunted House. He's just there to have a good time.

Hakuna Makarla
ahh gosh, I miss prounce all the time, you see I am new and maybe the guy was to. who knows why we do it, but hey, at least we are not saying swear words :)

acp
Heh, it could be worse.. I remember walking round Disneyland Paris last year and some bloke nearby was telling his kids that they were going to go and find the Tiki Room, which struck me as amusing since there isn't a Tiki Room at Disneyland Paris... I kind of guessed he was in for a slight disapointment at that moment in time..

Hakuna Makarla
03-13-2005, 02:54 PM
Heh, it could be worse.. I remember walking round Disneyland Paris last year and some bloke nearby was telling his kids that they were going to go and find the Tiki Room, which struck me as amusing since there isn't a Tiki Room at Disneyland Paris... I kind of guessed he was in for a slight disapointment at that moment in time..

ha ha ha , I to thought there was exact things at all parks, good one, yes I am a fool LOL!

bradk
03-13-2005, 03:22 PM
Anyway, after the show I walked though Advenntureland and I was kind of in a traffic flow.

huh?!? advenntureland, what's that?!?! did you mean adventureland? oh, i'm annoyed now.

that sort of thing actually does kind of irritate me when i'm hanging out at the zoo. red pandas seem to be an infinite source of misinformation between people and i've even heard of lions being referred to as tigers. sometimes i 'politely' correct them cuz there's nothing wrong with knowing the facts, but most of the time i just bite my tongue and wince in pain.

sediment
03-13-2005, 03:30 PM
Bad grammar bugs me just a little bit more. Maybe I'm too sensitive about mispronounciations.
What I normally do is speak in a loud voice (yet still subtly) to someone else about the attraction, using the propoer term for it. I'll tell my son, "Son, let's go on the (pause) JUNGLE CRUISE."

At least you weren't on a ride when he answered the phone.

Crazy4DL
03-13-2005, 03:36 PM
With all the things to do and see and ride at DL and CA it seems understandable to me that someone who isn't as Disneyland crazy as the rest of us might not know or remember the exact name of an attraction. I might giggle to myself if I were to hear someone call the Jungle Cruise the Jungle Book (I bet he meant Jungle Boat) but it would not irriate me at all - I tend to think one thing and say something else half the time myself ;)

edited: because again I can't type and is there a spell checker here??

sediment
03-13-2005, 03:42 PM
Well, there are some nicknames for rides that the more geeky might cringe at:
1. "Teacups."
2. "Indy."
3. "Pirates."

The OP's overheard comments are just plain ignorance (not knowing) or stupidity (not learning).

Hakuna Makarla
03-13-2005, 03:53 PM
yeah rrazy, we need spell checker!! ok, who do we talk to LOL!

MsYumiBr
03-13-2005, 04:05 PM
It doesn't bother me. The great thing about communication is that we can converse and if the other person understands, that's what counts. I know people who like to give people nicknames. It's a very common country custom. You can protest all you want, they won't stop calling you that name and would be rude on your part not to take it because you are younger. I believe the same goes with naming rides. Were they old?

Mark Goldhaber
03-13-2005, 04:06 PM
When I'm not a part of the conversation in question, I'll either grit my teeth or laugh quietly to myself, depending on my mood. If I'm part of said conversation, I'll usually reply to the person using the correct name, unless they're using a common nickname.

"Wasn't the Big Mountain coaster ride cool?"
"Yes, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is one of my favorites."

But I'd let "Teacups" go. I mean, who calls it the Mad Tea Party anyway?

FantasmicFanatic
03-13-2005, 04:16 PM
The WORST is..."Let's go and watch Fantasia". It's called F-A-N-T-A-S-M-I-C. It really steams me. Because if you just read the park guide or signs or listen to the opening you would know what it's called.

FF

Mommy2NicknMax
03-13-2005, 04:24 PM
The WORST is..."Let's go and watch Fantasia". It's called F-A-N-T-A-S-M-I-C. It really steams me. Because if you just read the park guide or signs or listen to the opening you would know what it's called.

FF
You know, this is one my Dad and Mom keep messing up. I work the correct name into our conversation but they still don't get it. As geeky as I am about all things Disney, I won't let this type of thing bother me. I realize not everyone is as into this as I am and that's really okay.

I do this to my husband all the time when he gets all tech geek on me. I start using words like "thingy" and "do-dad." I think it annoys him that I don't know the real tech name for it but it's okay. ;)

julia
03-13-2005, 05:05 PM
It all depends on my mood. Most of the time, it doesn't bother me.... It is just fun and I can tell that it is someone new to the parks. We were all Disney newbies once upon a time and had to start our Disney addiction somewhere, didn't we?

Most of the time, the thing that bugs me most is when someone talks too much and too loudly in a small space.....

Best Regards,
Julia
http://www.fine-journeys.com
jelzie@andavotravel.com

MsYumiBr
03-13-2005, 05:06 PM
Must be my relatives from West Virginia. lol.

kohl
03-13-2005, 06:42 PM
When my son was 4 he used to call Big Thunder Mountain, The Fast Choo Choo Train and Grizzley River Run, The Really Wet Ride. We always thought it was cute. He also called Eeyore, Oeeyore.

nsyncitnd1787
03-13-2005, 08:58 PM
it doesn't bother me too much. i usually just smile and giggle to myself. if they completly miss the name (like Tom Sawyer's House) that is really funny, but it makes me a little mad b/c the person who said it completly messed up the name. if they had said "the tree house" that's cool. nicknames are awosome, much faster way of saying something. i always do that if i'm talking to one of my more informed about Disneyland friends. if not i use the whole names (so they don't get confused and so that way they can get the names engraved in their head). i guess to me nicknames are cool, but try and say a nickname that actually derives from the origional attraction name. but, that's just my opinion.

Opus1guy
03-13-2005, 09:24 PM
- The bird show

- Jumbo

- Snow White's castle

- The cars

- Haunted House

Could go on and on...

HorizonsA
03-14-2005, 10:34 AM
1. "Teacups."
2. "Indy."
3. "Pirates."

Those are ok. I doubt anyone would say "I would really love to go on the Indiana Jones Adventure: the Temple of the Forbidden Eye." But when people give totally different names to attractions like the Tom Sawyer House Ride. Children to ages 5-6 are exempt. I was age 6 1/2 before I knew all the names, and I hadn't even been on them all yet. It would be funny to go to Disneyland and hear everyone mention an attraction by it's FULL name, like "Oooh, let's see Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room. Then we can go on The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh." It would be interesting.

Earkid
03-14-2005, 10:44 AM
"Oooh, let's see Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room." Good Grief HorizonsA, get the name correct will ya!! It's Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room sponsored by Dole!! :D

MrsG
03-14-2005, 10:57 AM
When my son was 4 he used to call Big Thunder Mountain, The Fast Choo Choo
My niece used to call it the Rock Ride.

This weekend, I had a family trying desperately to ask me a question (non-English speakers). They kept asking me where the games were. I gave them every scenario for "games" that I could think of. They politely said thank you and walked away. A few moments later, they came back (after talking to each other and presumable looking in a dictionary. They then asked me where all the RIDES were. OH! Now I could point them in all kinds of directions! (Sent them immediately to Fantasyland - they had little girls).

cstephens
03-14-2005, 11:13 AM
1. "Teacups."
2. "Indy."
3. "Pirates."

Really? Why? Do people really expect that others will use the full name? We use "Pirates", "Mansion", "Space", "Splash", "Tiki", etc. all the time. I do notice when others use names that aren't correct (like "Haunted House") but then I remember that not everyone is a regular visitor to Disneyland so use whatever name they know. As long as everyone knows what they're talking about, doesn't matter to me.

sediment
03-14-2005, 11:58 AM
1. Really? 2. Why? 3. Do people really expect that others will use the full name? 4. We use "Pirates", "Mansion", "Space", "Splash", "Tiki", etc. all the time.
1. Yes.
2. Because they're the more geeky. And I use "might cringe" for a reason.
3. There will exist at least one person that does.
4. We're cool, and therefore exempt.

sediment
03-14-2005, 12:00 PM
Then we can go on The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh."
You mean the "Poo Pooh Ride that isn't close to Tokyo's version even though the technology obviously exists and has for some time"?
That's the official name, you know.