PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Overlays - Yay or Nay?

Monte Cristo
03-13-2005, 09:56 AM
Over at another site, there's been a mini-debate about the value of the HMH and IASWH overlays during the holidays.

Some have complained that the change along with the downtime to install detracts from the park. I happen to disagree in a big, big way. My feeling is that in the cae of HMH, it's a fantastic representation of what Disneyland does best - combine imagination with an immersive experience. It's a really unique attraction made all the more special because it only appears once a year.

For IASWH, I have to admit I'm a little biased. I understand the history of the ride, but in it's original form I find it a little..well...dull. The holiday version, however, does a great job of evoking holiday cheer as it felt when I was a little kid. Also, is there a better holiday sight at DL than IASWH lit up at night?

So...what do you think?

Disney Vault
03-13-2005, 10:01 AM
I love the overlays. IASW at night looks so amazing during the holidays and it was so fun to see how they could change so much on the HMH.

Mommy2NicknMax
03-13-2005, 10:20 AM
Add me to the list of those that love them! My first time going during the holidays was Dec 2003. I was waiting in line for IASWH when the announcement came on that the lights would be turned on. It was an amazing thing to see. I had no idea what it looked like lit up.

sierranevada
03-13-2005, 10:44 AM
I also think the holiday overlays add to the Christmas spirit! I would be very disappointed if they stopped doing them.

MrsG
03-13-2005, 10:55 AM
I LOVE IASW overlay. The lights are so beautiful and over-the-top. :D I do like HMH, but I am more glad when it is back to normal.

03-13-2005, 11:15 AM
My girls and I adored the Haunted Mansion overlay this past October. We loved going to the French Market and getting the special desserts. The whole shebang is special and joyful and fun.

stitchlvr
03-13-2005, 11:16 AM
These holiday overlays are one of the main reasons we try to get to the park during the holiday season. We love them!!!!

Crazy4DL
03-13-2005, 12:48 PM
Put me on the Yay list. I loved them both - I love DL even more during the holidays.

oregontraveler
03-13-2005, 12:51 PM
Loved Small World, wasn't impressed with HMH, mild thumbs down

Disney Vault
03-13-2005, 01:06 PM
Here is a question, are there any other rides that you would like to see get a holiday overlay? I think they could change one of the darkrides in fantasyland with a holiday overlay. Maybe like Snow white's scary adventure because that one seems to have the smallest line all the time.

Mommy2NicknMax
03-13-2005, 01:09 PM
Doesn't Storybookland get some holiday decorations as well? I can't remember.......

Monte Cristo
03-13-2005, 02:08 PM
Here is a question, are there any other rides that you would like to see get a holiday overlay? I think they could change one of the darkrides in fantasyland with a holiday overlay. Maybe like Snow white's scary adventure because that one seems to have the smallest line all the time.

Without knowing much about the logistical process, I would think Peter Pan would lend itself most easily. You could add Christmas decorations to the London scene and the bedroom.

Crazy4DL
03-13-2005, 02:12 PM
Doesn't Storybookland get some holiday decorations as well? I can't remember.......

yes - Storybookland does have decorations because I remember thinking how cute the little tiny Christmas wreaths were on some of the little houses. It was adorable.

Mommy2NicknMax
03-13-2005, 02:59 PM
yes - Storybookland does have decorations because I remember thinking how cute the little tiny Christmas wreaths were on some of the little houses. It was adorable.
Oh Thank You rrazey! I was hoping I wasn't losing my memory.

pisces
03-14-2005, 06:39 AM
I think Fantasmic should find a way to mention the holidays. I'd be more likely to pay for the Balcony if I knew it was going to be somewhat Christmas-y.

I think they should leave the HMH and Small World Holiday up year-round, just as a reminder of that special time of year.

Monte Cristo
03-14-2005, 06:59 AM
I think they should leave the HMH and Small World Holiday up year-round, just as a reminder of that special time of year.

Actually, how about a holiday-themed ride year 'round? It's whole theme would be that Christmas exists in this one spot every day of the year. Maybe a dark ride where you ride a Santa Sleigh through the north pole or something like that.

Hmmm...

SOMEONE GET ME IGER ON THE PHONE RIGHT NOW!

;)

CrazyTrain
03-14-2005, 11:49 AM
HMH is my most favorite ride so, yes, I think they add to it all...

sdfilmcritic
03-14-2005, 11:50 AM
Christmas Decorations: Yay!

Holiday Themed Rides: Nay!

TempoNZ
03-14-2005, 12:15 PM
My only issue isn't so much the overlay itself.. it's the fact the rides are closed for so long when they put them up and take them down. If you have more and more overlays then that is going to mean mroe downtime for rides etc. I guess (at least i hope) they do other repairs etc on the rides when they are installing and removing the overlays so maybe it actually doesn't add that much to the 2 or 3 year cycle of down time?

SallySkellington
03-14-2005, 03:51 PM
Yay!

HMH = best ride ever! :D

Captain Josh
03-14-2005, 03:53 PM
BEST AVATAR EVER!!!!11!

I can't wait to see how the HMH will be this year, with the new additions to the regular mansion. Probably not a whole lot, but that floating Leota is still the coolest thing I've seen in years.

itig
03-14-2005, 04:40 PM
YAY! I love the overlays!

Flint
03-14-2005, 04:43 PM
Big ol' Nay for overlays.

The holiday decorations on Main Street and New Orleans Square can stay, though.

Though I realize I'm probably outnumbered (hopelessly) on the issue, not everyone enjoys the commercial holiday.

SCUBAbe
03-14-2005, 04:47 PM
they can get rid of the small world. (yeah overlay or not...LOL)

I LOVE HMH though..:)