PDA

View Full Version : Solo Trip

arpinl
03-13-2005, 05:19 AM
I am currently planning my first trip to Disneyland as a (college) graduation present to myself. However, it doesn't look like I'll be able to find anyone to come with me. This certainly won't stop me from going, as I have done WDW alone many times, but it seems like I may need to skip some activities. For example, has anyone been to a character breakfast solo? I enjoy them but don't want to make things awkward by asking Goofy to wait while I beg someone to take a photo of me with him.

If anyone has advice or personal experience(s) to share--not necessarily *just* about character dining--I would love to hear it.

Hakuna Makarla
03-13-2005, 05:37 AM
go to the breakfast! I was thinking of doing this my self. I am also going alone in April so do what you want, you only live once and besides goofy has done this before I am sure, take a pic with him, have a ball and tell us about it when you come back :)

bradk
03-13-2005, 06:24 AM
why would you have to skip anything?

first, i don't think there's a problem asking any CM to take a photo for you (although you never know), but there are also spots which provide opportunities to have a DL photographer take the photo for you, which I think runs about $10 or so.

HyperTyper
03-13-2005, 06:39 AM
I've been to Disney by myself once. It can never be the same as going with others (especially kids), but it's DEFINITELY still worth doing. You can do what you want, when you want. You can enjoy single-rider lines. The only bathroom breaks are the ones YOU need to take. And it's easier to people-watch. (I find real people infintely more interesting than audio-animatronics.)

Some people feel self-conscious about visiting Disney alone, like people will think they are losers because they are alone. I felt that way before I went. Don't worry about it. Either people are too busy with their own visit to notice or care, or they'll be happy to visit with you while you wait for a ride, a show or a meal. I had a great time visiting with a family waiting for the park to open, and then enjoyed watching their young kids see Mickey for the first time.

Go for it, and have a GREAT time! Congratulations on your graduation, too!

Hakuna Makarla
03-13-2005, 06:45 AM
I want to tell you something, this trip for me will be the first time in my life I have ever been able to go any where alone, do what I want and not have to have family say no! I have never been alone, I was at home, then had a child ( yes out of wedlock) and for years worked and stayed home.Yes I had a time where I was crazy and did drink and party, but again that was not real alone time, or something to do just for me. No social life later on, no fun trips and just work and home! Then I married and again I worked 2 jobs, went home and cooked, cleaned and no fun. Then the next child after 14 years came, no trips, no outside activities, just work home and maybe a lot a of basketball games or such but nothing for me. Then, when I hit 41 I got my first grandchild, yes at 5 weeks old he was mine to keep and worry over and to fight for, again no time for my self ,then 2 years later another precious bundle,( a grand child) to care for and to worry over.This trip will be my release, my treasure to hold forever, my time to do what I want and to be alone with my self and acually think with out 3 kids on my arm. I will treasure this time do the rides, do the warehouse shopping, do the goat trick, and eat what I want! No holding me back, no saying no mom, or no wife.
I am not sure most people understand that my whole life centers on caring for my family, the old,the handicapped and my own kids. Shopping is even a hassle as I do not even do this alone. The time I spend in disneyland may well be the only time I will ever have to claim as my own. So when you say you would like to do some things but it may not be possible Aprinl, your wrong, you will no doubt do more and have more fun! Have a wonderful time, do everything you want to do and come back and tell us all about it ok. Be blessed **Karla

Stupid_American
03-13-2005, 06:56 AM
In the parks, character photos are a piece of cake.
Almost all of the characters have "wranglers" that will gladly take your photo.

wabby1
03-13-2005, 07:01 AM
I've done DLR alone once. I was in San Diego on a business trip that lasted 2 weeks. I had time to kill on the weekend I was there, and thought there would be nothing better to do than go to Disneyland! I loved it. I just took my time everywhere, arrived early and stayed late. It was one of the best times I've had at the park....

My advice would be to take as much in as you can and want to! You won't regret it....

sierranevada
03-13-2005, 11:02 AM
I was at DL in Jan solo for the first time. At first, I thought it was going to be weird but I found I enjoyed doing what I wanted to, when I wanted. I was able to do every ride quickly since I was not matching my pace to my son's. I even sprung for the Riverfront seating for Fantasmic! I was a little self-conscious but soon started chatting with the people around me and just soaked up the show. The single rider lines in CA were great - I just walked on the rides. I will admit that I have more fun with my family but would not pass up a chance to go to DL just because I was by myself.

GO and enjoy - it is a great present to yourself!

arpinl
03-13-2005, 02:04 PM
Thanks for all the input. My biggest apprehension is character dining because at WDW, the characters always--in my experience--come to your table by themselves (i.e. w/o a character greeter). But I've never had any trouble getting photos, autographs, etc. *in* the parks when alone.

stitchlvr
03-13-2005, 03:04 PM
Thanks for all the input. My biggest apprehension is character dining because at WDW, the characters always--in my experience--come to your table by themselves (i.e. w/o a character greeter). But I've never had any trouble getting photos, autographs, etc. *in* the parks when alone.
I think you should just ask someone at the next table. I know if someone asked me, I'd take the picture for them (and have). I wouldn't think it was weird; I would think you are just someone who's doing what they love-Good for you!

Shinku
03-13-2005, 03:53 PM
I think you should just ask someone at the next table. I know if someone asked me, I'd take the picture for them (and have). I wouldn't think it was weird; I would think you are just someone who's doing what they love-Good for you!

I'll second this sentiment. It's nothing to stress over. Heck, at the very least you get your picture, worst case scenario? You've made some new friends!

Go for it and have a GREAT time.

Hakuna Makarla
03-13-2005, 03:54 PM
Also who cares they will never meet you again, you get the pictureand your happy. These days I figure I can be nuts there and I will never see any of the people there in my life time again muawaaaaaaa

Mommy2NicknMax
03-13-2005, 03:59 PM
When I was there last (Dec) alone, I was asked several times to take pictures for people. I didn't mind at all. In fact I took my first picture using a digital camera that way! This nice couple asked me to take their picture while we were waiting for the Electrical Parade. After I took it I commented on how that was the first time I'd used a digital camera. So we struck up a conversation about cameras. I got so much infomation. It was great. I love talking to people while I'm at DLR. I meet some really interesting people and learn a lot.