PDA

View Full Version : What is a Monte Cristo sandwich?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Hakuna Makarla
03-12-2005, 01:30 PM
I hear so many talk about them and how good they are, whats in them and are they worth the blu byou? I want to make reservations to the blue byou but not dinner I am sure I could not afford that. But lunch there sounds great. I am hoping to get by the edge of the water and see the fire flys :)

Wfoxx
03-12-2005, 01:37 PM
It's a ham, turkey,and swiss cheese sandwich that is deep fried and serve with blackberry jam. It is so good it's one of my must haves at DL. Try it Karla if it's done right you will be hooked.

03-12-2005, 01:37 PM
Sorry but that is one disgusting entrée. The bread is French toast. The filling is ham and cheese. The whole thing is deep-fried, sprinkled with powdered sugar. You can dip it into the jam they provide.

The middle is congealed. But don't take my word for it. Remember this thread? (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=35131)

Jewels
03-12-2005, 01:40 PM
Karla,

The Monte Cristo is a turkey, ham and cheese sandwich deep fryed in an egg batter. They are served with blackberry jam. Very large and very greasy. I had one once and that was enough for me. They are worth a try at least. Last I was there they were only on the lunch menu. Try to share one if you can.

Hakuna Makarla
03-12-2005, 01:41 PM
UMMM A HAM AND CHEESE SANDWITCH deep fried and coated with sugar? yuck! I love deep fried anything but the fact it has powdered sugar on it and jelly on the side makes me wonder who thought of that one. no thanks I will have prime rib or something else. thanks but no thanks ......

SANDYMARIE
03-12-2005, 01:47 PM
It is a piece of heaven...........Trust me!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Hakuna Makarla
03-12-2005, 02:06 PM
ok Sandymaria, so if I have one I can trust its heaven? ok, I will try it this one time. ( it better be good girl ) :)

iAmJacksDLand
03-12-2005, 02:14 PM
It's only LIGHTLY dusted with powerded sugar.

I'm surprise that so many dislike it. Everyone I take the the Blue Bayou for the first time always orders this dish (as I insist) along with a mint julep. They all love it. It's done really well.

Hakuna Makarla
03-12-2005, 02:15 PM
mint julip, thats another I hear was tasting like cough syrup. I am not sure about that one but I will venture and do the monte cristo, after all a lot of people say its great.

SANDYMARIE
03-12-2005, 02:33 PM
ok Sandymaria, so if I have one I can trust its heaven? ok, I will try it this one time. ( it better be good girl ) :)
Ok, My fingers are crossed............
I can't wait to get mine....June 11-17th :)

crazi4dlr
03-12-2005, 03:08 PM
I've been going to DL for more than 40 years and one of my favorite things are the mint juleps. It's not like cough syrup at all. It's sweet mint tea and it's really wonderful. I get mine at the French Market. Also if you like french toast with ham for breakfast, then you'll like the Monte Cristo. I haven't had one in years but I remember them being very good. Enjoy the BB. We will be going there for the first time in December as I have always wanted to eat there but could never find the support of the people I was with. So this time we do what mom wants..... :p

Hakuna Makarla
03-12-2005, 03:10 PM
I have always wanted to eat there but could never find the support of the people I was with. So this time we do what mom wants..... :p

I hear ya crazi! I never get to do what I want but this time its me , me, me! I am doign my own thin g and of course not taking any one with me ha ha ha

brazen wench
03-12-2005, 03:16 PM
On the East Coast, they serve Monte Cristo sandwiches with maple syrup. It's delicious, you have to go for it!

kijay
03-12-2005, 03:33 PM
I haven't had the monte cristo at DL yet (come June that will change), but I discovered this awesome sandwich at Bennigans. Theirs is to die for. I would definitely recommend that if you are unsure as to whether or not you want to try this at DL (and risk having a problem while on vacation), go to Benningans (if there is one where you live of course) and try one. That way you'll have a good idea of what you're getting into. Just depends on individual taste as most things do. Whereas I love them, my DW can't stand them, so again, try to find one at a restaraunt before you go, that way there is no surprises. :p

Hakuna Makarla
03-12-2005, 03:35 PM
How do they deep fry this sandwitch? you can not take 2 pieces of french bread and hope it will stick together. how is it done?

kijay
03-12-2005, 03:46 PM
I looked up this menu at foodnetwork. com.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_23807,00.html
I haven't been brave enough to try making this at home, but it can give you an idea of how it is prepared. Hope it helps.

Hakuna Makarla
03-12-2005, 04:03 PM
ok, I went there and that does sound yummy, or I am just so hungry LOL! I will try it just to say I did, and maybe I really will like it a lot! thanks for the link kijay!! I appreciate it much !

Captain Josh
03-12-2005, 04:05 PM
Some people swear by Monte Cristos, some by Churros, some by that wonderful Disneyland popcorn (which in my opinion is the best tasting popcorn, ever)...then you have folks like me. I swear by DOLE Whips.

Hakuna Makarla
03-12-2005, 04:07 PM
ok, this is another thing I do not know about, what is it and where is it? thanks Josh!!

Captain Josh
03-12-2005, 04:11 PM
DOLE Whips are once again currently available at the concession stand at the entrance of the Enchanted Tiki Room, which is at the entrance of Adventureland. You don't have to go into the Tiki Room courtyard to order, there are two counters, one for inside and one for outside the courtyard. (But hey, why NOT go and check out the Tiki Room, it's a classic.)

I was sorely disappointed when I found the Tiki Room, and therefore the DOLE stand under refurb. I waited sooo long for a DOLE Whip, and it was worth it.

Hakuna Makarla
03-12-2005, 04:12 PM
yes josh, but what is it?????

Captain Josh
03-12-2005, 04:14 PM
I honestly don't know. It's like pineapple soft-serve ice cream, but everyone tells me it's non-dairy...but it's so cool and buttery smooth...

Hakuna Makarla
03-12-2005, 04:16 PM
god, I will have to have this to, so far my list is huge!

Captain Josh
03-12-2005, 04:21 PM
You might just want to splurge an extra 2 dollars at the DOLE stand, and just get a DOLE Whip Float, which is the same delicious DOLE Whip, but served floated in a cup of Pineapple Juice, AND they put in a marachino cherry AND a groovy paper drink umbrella.

I Heart Disneyland!
03-12-2005, 04:29 PM
OH MY GOSH! Dole Whip FLOAT? That sounds dreamy!!! I canNOT wait to get there in May. It can't get here fast enough!!!! The Monte Cristo....not so sure about that one. I've not tried it, but, people are so divided in their opinions, it makes me scared!!! Nothing worse than a bad meal, especially in DL! :)