PDA

View Full Version : Did I "Goof" Fantasmic Reservation?

Pascomom
03-11-2005, 07:59 PM
Hi All,

This is my first post and am so glad this web sites exists, so much valuable information from people who love Disney as we do. We are going to Disney in April and have been planning this trip since Dec. We have a wonderful vacation planned and have decided to make this a trip to remember by going all out, for example, reservation at GCH Concierge. We were simply blown away by Fantasmic and want to reserve balcony seating this trip. Reading the info all of you have to offer, I new I wanted to make a reservation 30 days out because of the "first to reserve, first to be seated" policy. Well today, a day late, I was 10th to reserve (the first 10 seats are taken) and would be in the second row. Considering the major $$$ being shelled out, is this a good view for the children (10 and 6, 2 year old will be on lap)? I could kick myself for not calling yesterday but was busy and it slipped my mind. Please, if anyone could, fill me in on the balcony seating and what we might expect. :confused: Thanks! :)

P.S. Can't wait to post my first trip report too! ;)

Jewels
03-11-2005, 08:10 PM
Welcome! I have done the balcony dessert twice. Once up front but to the side I think we were about 4th caller then. And the second time second row dead center. I really liked the second row best. Really most of the seats are great. There is a pair a bit off to the side but it sounds like you will have more then 2 with you so you will not have to worry. The kids should see fine and depending on how much they will eat you may be glad to be closer to the buffet. We splurged on our last trip too with GCH and Fantasmic Dessert. Have fun. It's a great way to view the show.

Crazy4DL
03-11-2005, 09:15 PM
Kalerose; have you tried the Fantasmic seating that is down in front of the River of America? if so what did you think of it? balcony better? We are planning on the Fantasmic seating in August but not sure which one we want to pick. Pascomom - hi fellow Pascoite :) I am glad to be forwarned to be on the alert to call as soon as I can - is it exactly 30 days ahead of the night you want the Fantasmic special seatting? thanks so much

AVP
03-11-2005, 09:58 PM
Here's an article (http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm020711.htm) from 2002 about the Priority Seating options available at that time. It includes my opinions about the two Fantasmic offerings.

AVP

Crazy4DL
03-11-2005, 10:38 PM
Here's an article (http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm020711.htm) from 2002 about the Priority Seating options available at that time. It includes my opinions about the two Fantasmic offerings.

AVP

Just read the article - thank you that helped a lot! I think it is the balcony for us or we will just catch the second showing of Fantasmic and try to get ourselves a good spot and hopefully won't have too long of a wait.

bradk
03-11-2005, 11:19 PM
having not really experiencing either yet, i would think the riverside seating might be more appropriate for smaller children just because a lot of people have complained about the distance with the balcony seating as opposed to the chance of getting wet with the riverside seating. the view at riverside isn't quite as great, but seating is first come first serve there and every reference i've read to it in terms of the number of people is that even though they can hold about 50 (as opposed to 20 for the balcony), there's usually no more than 15-20.

plus you do get a price break for children.

tjaa
03-11-2005, 11:40 PM
Our last trip in Jan., we came to the show at the last minute. Pretty crowded, got good standing spots next to a roped off area, hot food, with zero people in it. I asked the CM "whats this?" Reserved area $$$, (PAP no way), I could tell he wanted to let us in. Should arrive 1 hr early to get spot without paying, send someone for food if needed.

Ulysses
03-12-2005, 12:58 AM
If you are standing there when they put up the rope, you will be asked to move.

MsYumiBr
03-12-2005, 06:10 AM
Don't worry. Kids will be able to see. We got 2nd row and DH stood up in the back videotaping the show. It's better in the back anyway for shorties like the kids. The railing is kind of in the way if you are short. Kids can stand up in the back if they want. My kids didn't mind either and even my 9 year old stayed awake through the whole show! You can feel free roaming around the dessert table too without fearing that you will offend someone by standing up. I personally don't think the balcony gives as much of an impact as sitting on the riverfront but it was the first time I was able to see the show from all angles. Bring binoculars if you can, although it isn't really necessary.

Crazy4DL
03-12-2005, 07:05 AM
having not really experiencing either yet, i would think the riverside seating might be more appropriate for smaller children just because a lot of people have complained about the distance with the balcony seating as opposed to the chance of getting wet with the riverside seating. the view at riverside isn't quite as great, but seating is first come first serve there and every reference i've read to it in terms of the number of people is that even though they can hold about 50 (as opposed to 20 for the balcony), there's usually no more than 15-20.

plus you do get a price break for children.

good points bradk - which now that I think about it is part of the reason we were thinking of paying the money for the reserved area was to be sure to have the kids down close. We have a gob of little boys, 12,7,4,4,4 !! that we are bringing down (Aug. 13 - 20th incase anyone wants to plan the vacation around all those boys - ha ha) and I think they would really enjoy the experience from upclose - so now I am back to thinking I will pick the river front - IF we do the preferred - one of those things I just can't make me mind up on :eek: thanks for the help all

Pascomom
03-12-2005, 08:45 AM
Thanks AJTW and all for the input. It's exactly what I was hoping to here! Thanks for easing my axienty. I LOOVE these boards!! To comment on the choice between the river front and the balcony: one reason we decide to do the balcony this time is, to my shame (not really), we have a little boy who got somewhat chicken on some Disneyland attractions, and we thought the closer we got to the action of Fantasmic might freak him out. He is older this year and I think he will have a whole new attitude this trip (our daughter was terrified of POTC and now it's her favorite ride) but we have the two year old to consider now too. I think it will be most enjoyable for all of us if the kids arent't hiding between our legs! :rolleyes:

Hi rrazey, beeeuutiful day here in Pasco, huh? :D

Pascomom
03-12-2005, 08:52 AM
Pascomom - hi fellow Pascoite :) I am glad to be forwarned to be on the alert to call as soon as I can - is it exactly 30 days ahead of the night you want the Fantasmic special seatting? thanks so much

Yes, for instance, if your trip is August 13, call July 13, 714-781-3463. :)

pisces
03-12-2005, 10:01 AM
I can't believe I'm saying this, because I said I'd never pay money for the Dessert.......and I don't even like Fantasmic, just seeing it for free........but I'm thinking about, throwing caution to the wind, splurging and doing the Dessert Balcony for NYE.

I don't know if they have it, though.

Is it only the second show? It seemed like they had many showings of Fantasmic on this last NYE.

Has anyone else ever done the Dessert Balcony for NYE????

Jewels
03-12-2005, 10:17 AM
Kalerose; have you tried the Fantasmic seating that is down in front of the River of America? if so what did you think of it? balcony better?

rrazey, I have never tried the river front seating so I can not compare the two. But I can say that we still felt the heat of the fires from up in the balcony and one time the water but I think the wind was just right then.

bradk
03-12-2005, 10:28 AM
Is it only the second show? It seemed like they had many showings of Fantasmic on this last NYE.

I don't know if NYE is different, but when the park is open late enough, there are 2 showings of fantasmic - one at 9 and one at 10:30. the buffet is available for both shows. in fact, if you go to the balcony one at 9, they generally let you stay for the fireworks, altho that appears to not be the best idea with the remember fireworks.

Crazy4DL
03-12-2005, 12:04 PM
Thanks AJTW and all for the input. It's exactly what I was hoping to here! Thanks for easing my axienty. I LOOVE these boards!! To comment on the choice between the river front and the balcony: one reason we decide to do the balcony this time is, to my shame (not really), we have a little boy who got somewhat chicken on some Disneyland attractions, and we thought the closer we got to the action of Fantasmic might freak him out. He is older this year and I think he will have a whole new attitude this trip (our daughter was terrified of POTC and now it's her favorite ride) but we have the two year old to consider now too. I think it will be most enjoyable for all of us if the kids arent't hiding between our legs! :rolleyes:

Hi rrazey, beeeuutiful day here in Pasco, huh? :D

I agree about the 2 year old might enjoy the show more from the balcony - which now I am back to hum... because we will also have 2 babies with us (22 and 15 months) and they may be totally terrified - so maybe we should either scrape the paying for a spot and try getting a decent spot for the second show and then if the babies freak out mommy or daddy can escape with them - without it having cost us a small fortune. I am sure that my 12 yr old nephew coming with us for his first trip to DL will be amazed by the show - which is a big reason I wanted him to have a good view. I will prehaps change my mind again a half a dozen times but at this point I think we will not do the desert/reserved seating and do a bit of work getting a good spot. I am glad I can get everyone views on the different angles - helps with things I didn't think of - thank you so much.

Yes I have really been enjoying our weather this week - though this afternoon the dang wind has come up and kicked up the dust but so glad to have the sunshine :)

Hakuna Makarla
03-12-2005, 12:07 PM
my 3 year old loved fantasmic and did not get scared. H is autistic ( and just turned 4 in november. I do not think this will scare the kids do you? my 4 year old did not freak about anything but mr lincoln and its tough to be a bug, oh and " honey I shrunk the kids.

Crazy4DL
03-12-2005, 12:10 PM
my 3 year old loved fantasmic and did not get scared. H is autistic ( and just turned 4 in november. I do not think this will scare the kids do you? my 4 year old did not freak about anything but mr lincoln and its tough to be a bug, oh and " honey I shrunk the kids.

It is hard to say - depends on the kids but I do actually think my little granddaughter who will be about 22 months will get scared and she has a really LOUD cry that I would hate for everyone around to have to live thru :)
Don't know why I didn't think of it to start with -- too many details with so many of us going - this board is an excellent place to get ideas.