PDA

View Full Version : DLR Questions?

Pages : [1] 2 3

mraw
03-11-2005, 04:19 PM
Hey Everyone,

I am new here, and I just recently found out that my family wants to go to Disneyland for Spring Break! I have many resevrations about this, being that I've never been there before, and because it's during Spring Break (we are looking at April 4-7). Would it be crazy for us to try to go during this time of year being that it's out first time? I'm not fond of waiting in line too long, and I want to experience as much as possible. Also, I was considering using Ridemax- is it a useful program?

Two airports come up when I search for plane tickets- LAX and John Wayne. Which is closer to Disneyland, and which would be best traffic-wise? Just asking these few questions is overwhleming and I am thinking about backing out of it altogether. I've been to WDW hundreds of times and I've worked there on internships in the past. Should I stick to the area that I'm most familiar with? Thanks for all your help...

kbanmen
03-11-2005, 04:20 PM
Hey Everyone,

I am new here, and I just recently found out that my family wants to go to Disneyland for Spring Break! I have many resevrations about this, being that I've never been there before, and because it's during Spring Break (we are looking at April 4-7). Would it be crazy for us to try to go during this time of year being that it's out first time? I'm not fond of waiting in line too long, and I want to experience as much as possible. Also, I was considering using Ridemax- is it a useful program?

Two airports come up when I search for plane tickets- LAX and John Wayne. Which is closer to Disneyland, and which would be best traffic-wise? Just asking these few questions is overwhleming and I am thinking about backing out of it altogether. I've been to WDW hundreds of times and I've worked there on internships in the past. Should I stick to the area that I'm most familiar with? Thanks for all your help...

John wayne is alot closer the DL than LAX

Hakuna Makarla
03-11-2005, 04:24 PM
Also the dates you stated are not going to be as buisy as the firast part of April ( 1-3rd) you should be fine, go have a grand time!!! John wayne is awsome, cloase and take a taxi to your hotel and it will cost way less and all of you can get in for one price ( the taxi) . it is easy, and fun and not as complicated as WDW. Stay across the street at one of the motels and you can just walk in . here is the link to the motels ok.
http://www.beachcalifornia.com/dlmp.html

I went with my 2 kids for the first time ever in August, If I can do it any one can! I am going alone on the 1-3rd of april and coming home on the 4th flying from Montana. do you will love it!

Hakuna Makarla
03-11-2005, 04:26 PM
I forgot to add I stayed at the carousel, and I hear the tropicana is pretty good to. right across the street from the park gate and easy . WDW is way more complicated then disneyland and you will be amazed at how easy it is to walk in, find things and play. Go have a grand time and then come back and tell us how you liked it ok. Be Blessed **Karla

mraw
03-11-2005, 04:28 PM
I have a friend who is a Cast Member and he can get me in at Paradise Pier for $69 a night. It seems to be a great deal, but I'm really unsure about the crowds. The thought of that alone is driving me crazy.

Hakuna Makarla
03-11-2005, 04:30 PM
69.00 man oh man I wish I knew him!!! crowds will not be as bad I am sure as the first of April, go relax and have a good time. I wish I was staying at the paradise pier :(

sierranevada
03-11-2005, 04:30 PM
Hands down - fly into John Wayne Airport! I avoid LAX like the plague! John Wayne is only about 20 min away and shuttle is only $10 per person r/t! It can take over an hour to get to DLR from LAX, especially during rush hour - which can be neverending in SoCal.And by all means, go! Don't let the possibility of crowds keep you away. I have not personally used RideMax but have heard great reviews of it. I am sure someone will post about it soon.

Have a wonderful time!

mraw
03-11-2005, 04:31 PM
Exactly how far is John Wayne Airport from Disneyland? Also, if we are staying at a Disney Resort, would it make sense to rent a car, or should we take a taxi? Does Disney priovide a shuttle to and from the airport? Markarla, you are making me feel much better about this trip- thanks!

sierranevada
03-11-2005, 04:35 PM
John Wayne is about 10-15 miles - unless you are planning on going somewhere else, I would not bother with a rental car. As I said, supershuttle is $10/per person r/t but if there are three or more or you, it's the same and faster to take a taxi - about $35 r/t with tip. Just make sure you ask for a flat rate before you get in. And jump on that $69 rate at the PPH - that is fantastic!!!

sediment
03-11-2005, 04:36 PM
Where are you coming from? It might not be possible to fly into John Wayne without a plane change or two and another $100 or more. I mean, if it takes an extra hour of "traveling" (waiting in another airport) to get into John Wayne, then why bother?
That said: #3 below in my sig line.
#9 concerning Spring crowds. That week won't be as bad as the previous week, but will be enough to keep me away.

mraw
03-11-2005, 04:39 PM
Thanks for all the info|! I'm excited again! I will be flying in from Atlanta

mraw
03-11-2005, 04:42 PM
Easter is crazy at WDW as well. That's why I didn't bother to go there- besides, I've never been to California. When is Spring Break for the local children in school?

Stupid_American
03-11-2005, 04:45 PM
Yellow Cab just quoted me "approximately $33, one way."

Easter is crazy at WDW as well. That's why I didn't bother to go there- besides, I've never been to California. When is Spring Break for the local children in school?

Probably 90% of schools will be out sometime between this weekend and April 2nd.

mraw
03-11-2005, 04:51 PM
Yellow Cab just quoted me "approximately $33, one way."

Probably 90% of schools will be out sometime between this weekend and April 2nd.

Hopefully I'll arrive right behind the severe crowds.

sediment
03-11-2005, 04:53 PM
Hmm, this is what I was afraid of. Are there any direct flights to John Wayne? See how many stops are required. Then, compare that with Delta flights into LAX non-stop.
Yes, LAX is messy. That's why there's FAQ #1.

mraw
03-11-2005, 04:56 PM
Also, will there be any major attractions closed during that time (other than Space Mountain). I really want to be there to ride the new version, and if this trip goes over well, I'm hoping to make it out again before the end of the year. I rode WDW's Space Mountain 30 times in a single day :-)

I'm looking forward to Toontown, The Indy Adventure, the Matterhorn, Haunted Mansion, and Autopia the best (Autopia only because I used to be a Cast Member at it's WDW black sheep cousin, the TLand Indy Speedway). I'm also wondering if there are any special characters out in the parks? I heard that Huey, Dewey and Louie are out there.. is that true? I've taken over 200 photos with WDW characters, but if they aren't any different from the DLR characters, I will know not to factor that into my day.

bradk
03-11-2005, 04:59 PM
airports by distance are SNA, LGB, ONT, LAX and I won't even mention BUR.

LAX is evil traffic wise and a cab can run you $70 or so. Your best options for ground transportation rely both on (a) which airport you do manage to get to and (b) how many people are in your group.

do expect the crowds to be high. they're expected to be high up until the last couple of weeks of may, then will pick up even more for memorial day and summer.

if you can get the family to go with it, ridemax will probably be very beneficial for you, but you'll have to be willing to stick to the schedule (or occasionally skip a ride) to get its full benefit.

Stupid_American
03-11-2005, 04:59 PM
I'm also wondering if there are any special characters out in the parks? I heard that Huey, Dewey and Louie are out there.. is that true? I've taken over 200 photos with WDW characters, but if they aren't any different from the DLR characters, I will know not to factor that into my day.

Over at DCA, you'll find many of the characters decked out in "California" garb.

Hakuna Makarla
03-11-2005, 05:00 PM
Jungle cruise and great moments with mr lincoln is the only attractions I believe down. I am glad you are feeling better, I wish I was there to greet you but alas I will not be but there are tons more to. And the paradise pier, man you are lucky!

bradk
03-11-2005, 05:03 PM
as far as closures go, the disneyland.com calendar provides you with that info. for the 4th-7th, Casey Jr. Circus Trains, Frontierland Shooting Exposition, Jungle Cruise, Space Mountain, Storybook Land Canal Boats and Walt Disney Story - Lincoln Theater (50th Exhibit) are all closed

Hakuna Makarla
03-11-2005, 05:08 PM
When I booked my trip I went thru the super shuttle, it is right out the front door of john wayne and it took me directly to my motel for 10.00 1 way. you must reserve this but I love it. I have already reserved it and paid for round trip. 20.00 is cheaper for me then taxi. :)

mraw
03-11-2005, 05:16 PM
I've been able to find several flights out of Atlanta non-stop to John Wayne (I love living in the airport hub of the south). Makarla, is there a website where I can go to reserve the shuttle? I would like to pay for everything and have it all done before Wednesday. Also, are their any benefits to paying for this trip entirely on my Disney Visa?

Hakuna Makarla
03-11-2005, 05:18 PM
Sending you to super shuttle now ( and I am so glad you are going, please do not forget to tell us what you thought of the park and if we helped you in any way. Be Blessed *Karla

http://www.supershuttle.com/htm/cities/sna.htm

bradk
03-11-2005, 05:24 PM
disney visa benefits (http://www.mousesavers.com/misc.html#disneyvisa)

Earkid
03-11-2005, 05:27 PM
Also, are their any benefits to paying for this trip entirely on my Disney Visa?If you booked this trip thru the Disney Travel Co or even thru a travel agent then you can defer interest for 6 months. It has to be a package deal tho. If this is a trip you put together yourself there is no special deal but you can always put it on your Disney Visa and earn reward points.