PDA

View Full Version : Freeway issues going to the park

Pages : [1] 2

scaeagles
03-10-2005, 03:51 PM
Have a question for those of you that know LA traffic patterns.

I travel there from Phoenix going 10 to 60 to 91 to 57 to Katella. Our pattern has always been to arriven a Sunday, but this summer we will be arriving on a Tuesday. Also, to avoid driving through the intense desert heat, we leave at around 2am, kids sleeping in the car for most of the way.

Now, doing this on a Sunday means traffic is not a problem when we hit the 60 and the 91. A Tuesday will be drastically different.

For those who may know, if i hit the 60 and 91 between 6 and 7 am am I going to be hating myself? Would there be a better way to go, say taking the 10 all the way to the 57 just past the Ontario airport?

Flint
03-10-2005, 03:55 PM
do NOT take the 60. Take the 10 all the way down to 15, then take the 91.

And you'll have rotten traffic all the way in, I promise.

Sheila
03-10-2005, 04:04 PM
Yeah, 6 to 7:00 a.m. is the start of the morning rush hour. Since housing is very scarce, many folks buy out in Riverside or other outlying areas then commute into Los Angeles via the 10, 60 and 91. It's very congested going westbound at that point (and you'll be going westbound too).

Your best bet is to follow Flint's directions and see if you can adjust what time you will arrive in the Los Angeles area. Either plan to arrive in Anaheim before 7:00 or try to not hit the major L.A. freeways until after 10:30-11:00 a.m. on a weekday.

Good luck!

kbanmen
03-10-2005, 04:05 PM
Have a question for those of you that know LA traffic patterns.

I travel there from Phoenix going 10 to 60 to 91 to 57 to Katella. Our pattern has always been to arriven a Sunday, but this summer we will be arriving on a Tuesday. Also, to avoid driving through the intense desert heat, we leave at around 2am, kids sleeping in the car for most of the way.

Now, doing this on a Sunday means traffic is not a problem when we hit the 60 and the 91. A Tuesday will be drastically different.

For those who may know, if i hit the 60 and 91 between 6 and 7 am am I going to be hating myself? Would there be a better way to go, say taking the 10 all the way to the 57 just past the Ontario airport?

You WILL HATE YOURSELF.. it is rush hour traffic and it isnt nice at all. I have driven it it at that time.. I would suggest streets but if you arent familiar with the area you would get lost (I would get lost)

adriennek
03-10-2005, 04:21 PM
Yeah, 6 to 7:00 a.m. is the start of the morning rush hour.

I wish it were the start! It's prime-time! Especially from the 60 because the further out from Orange County, the earlier the congestion starts. So Moreno Valley commuters start earlier than Riverside who start earlier than Riverside.

Yes, you will hate yourself.

Carpool lanes will help a little bit, but not much.

Adrienne

Stupid_American
03-10-2005, 04:26 PM
Would there be a better way to go, say taking the 10 all the way to the 57 just past the Ontario airport?

I think the 10 to 57 is a good option.
Leaving an hour earlier would be even better.

Earkid
03-10-2005, 05:10 PM
Hi scaeagles,

Another Phoenician checking in. Our typical DL trip is to leave on a Wed morning around 8 and then we hit the 60 to the 91 around 12 (which is 11:00 CA time right now). We are usually at DL by 2 and have seen very little traffic. We tried doing the same thing on a Sunday......bad, very bad. All the returning weekenders clogged the fwys.

Lately, the 60 to the 91 has been undergoing a renovation and the traffic can get really bad there. Who knows when it will get done since they have been working on the same section of the 91 for years.

sediment
03-10-2005, 07:11 PM
do NOT take the 60. Take the 10 all the way down to 15, then take the 91.

And you'll have rotten traffic all the way in, I promise.
You missed a "the" in there. We won't be able to change the country's freeway dialect with this lackadaysical effort.

sediment
03-10-2005, 07:11 PM
I think the 10 to 57 is a good option.
Leaving an hour earlier would be even better.
You too, Stupid (well, that's your name).

sediment
03-10-2005, 07:15 PM
To the OP: leave at midnight. Whoever's driving will be a wreck (and possibly Grumpy or Sleepy), but hopefully the magic will keep the driver floating until about 3PM. Then, driver can crash at the hotel.
You'll reach The 10 and The 15 interchange at about 5. You should be able to get to DL by 6 at that time.
Disclaimer: I do not live in the Inland Empire. The people there will know better.

Earkid
03-10-2005, 07:22 PM
I used to live in Moreno Valley. My roomate worked for Hughes Aircraft somewhere in the neighborhood of Orange County. She would leave the house at 3 a.m. to catch a commuter van and had to be at work at 6, so you can imagine how early traffic begins to build up.

Flint
03-10-2005, 08:10 PM
You missed a "the" in there. We won't be able to change the country's freeway dialect with this lackadaysical effort.

Fie on you, sediment! Fie! Fie! Fie!

*does the SoCal pout thingy*

sediment
03-10-2005, 08:18 PM
Eek, you're one of them outsiders! I had no idea, since I don't read the details ("Phoenix" under your avatar). Still, resistence is futile.
Now, repeat: "The 15, The 60, The 91, The 57, The..."

Flint
03-10-2005, 08:20 PM
(San Diego born and raised)

Eek, you're one of them outsiders! I had no idea, since I don't read the details ("Phoenix" under your avatar). Still, resistence is futile.
Now, repeat: "The 15, The 60, The 91, The 57, The..."

With ONE exception. It's "Pacific Coast Highway," (or "PCH") not "THE Pacific Coast Highway" :D

Shinku
03-10-2005, 11:51 PM
I'm from the inland empire (up near Cal State San Bernardino) and I'd highly recommend the 210 freeway if the 91 sucks.

Just giving you another option...

Stupid_American
03-11-2005, 07:22 AM
You too, Stupid (well, that's your name).
ATTENTION:
If there is anyone reading these pages that had any doubt as to what route we were discussing, check with sediment, he will clarify.

I've survived more than 5 decades in the greater Southern California area, since pretty much before the 5, the 10, or most of the other "thes", but I'm still not sure about something;
Is it Orange County, or the OC ?
I remember when it was orange groves and bean fields, and the Matterhorn was a landmark, seen for miles.
I've now lived here for over 25 years and don't want to be wrong!

sediment
03-11-2005, 07:43 AM
Not a big fan of "The OC," either the use of "The" or of the "OC." I'll let the more local locals (as opposed to the loco locos) figure that out. I mean, if you want The Fox Network decide what you call your area, be my guest.

Flint's right about the acceptable use of "PCH," although I've use "The" in front of it on occasion. It's a dialect thing.

TikiGeek
03-11-2005, 07:47 AM
NOTE: SoCal Freeways are subject to gridlock 24/7/365. If you can get to Harbor Blvd. before 6:00am you improve your chances of retaining your sanity. Godspeed. :)

AliciasMom
03-11-2005, 07:49 AM
ATTENTION:
If there is anyone reading these pages that had any doubt as to what route we were discussing, check with sediment, he will clarify.

I've survived more than 5 decades in the greater Southern California area, since pretty much before the 5, the 10, or most of the other "thes", but I'm still not sure about something;
Is it Orange County, or the OC ?
I remember when it was orange groves and bean fields, and the Matterhorn was a landmark, seen for miles.
I've now lived here for over 25 years and don't want to be wrong!

It's Orange County!!!! That's my vote. :)

*Disclaimer I am not from Orange County. My dad and many of my friends & cousins grew up there. They all swear they never heard a single person say "the O.C" until the show came out.

scaeagles
03-11-2005, 08:07 AM
hmmm....thanks for all the input. This makes me wonder if I should look into getting a cheapy motel and leaving at 4:00pm or so from Phoenix instead of the next morning at 2:00. I could leave at midnight, I suppose, and do the nap thing upon checkin. Hmmm.....

Would west bound traffic at 8:00pm on the routes I earlier mentioned be any better? Or is it simply more of the same?

Stupid_American
03-11-2005, 08:16 AM
Not a big fan of "The OC," either the use of "The" or of the "OC." I'll let the more local locals (as opposed to the loco locos) figure that out. I mean, if you want The Fox Network decide what you call your area, be my guest.

Flint's right about the acceptable use of "PCH," although I've use "The" in front of it on occasion. It's a dialect thing.

Take your palm, hold it out flat in front of you, with your palm down.
Raise it above your head, palm still flat and parallel to the ground.
Now, thrust it quickly over the top of you head, making a "swish" sound.

Stupid_American
03-11-2005, 08:17 AM
Don't make me draw a diagram!

sediment
03-11-2005, 08:21 AM
Would west bound traffic at 8:00pm on the routes I earlier mentioned be any better? Or is it simply more of the same?
Opposite-the-rush-hour traffic is more volatile, and thus harder to predict.
My midnight suggestion was a bit extreme, as vacation should be more relaxing than work. And it could mess with everyone's sleeping patterns, not just the driver's.
Even the optimal solution will have some downside.

sediment
03-11-2005, 08:39 AM
Take your palm, hold it out flat in front of you, with your palm down.
Raise it above your head, palm still flat and parallel to the ground.
Now, thrust it quickly over the top of you head, making a "swish" sound.
I think we're both participating in the fun here.

Meanwhile, I keep hitting my forehead. What am I doing wrong? I don't think my hand is aerodynamic enough to clear the dome.

MrsG
03-11-2005, 09:47 AM
Don't we all just love to talk about our freeways! :p It is such a badge of honor to know the fastest route to take.