PDA

View Full Version : May 5th OR July 17th? Which will be the best time?

mystycalchyk
03-10-2005, 09:22 AM
Well *sigh*

Hubby and I have determined we simply cannot afford to go to both. We are booked for hotels (for both, and at really great rates) but nothing else yet (as in airfare). Truth be told we really cant afford either but he is still wanting to go at least to one event.

We are leaning toward May 5th just because although it will be crowded, it wont be quite as insane as July 17.....and also July is way hotter, and crowded normally more than May just because its summer and the muggles out there who have no clue this is truly a special time would be going regardless.

So what do you think? The only thing we will miss that I can see (if we choose May over July) will be Space Mountain...but heck we've waited over 2 years as it is...we can just ride it when we go for our annual New Years trip, no biggie.

*bummed out*

Andrew
03-10-2005, 09:27 AM
We are doing July 17th, because we've done July 17th every year for the last ten years at least.

bradk
03-10-2005, 09:27 AM
it's been my guesstimate that may 5 will operate at capacity as well (due to locals wanting to be the first around the water cooler to experience it all). july 17 probably has more in store for it with festivities not yet announced, so whatever those may be, the hotter weather and of course space mountain will be missed.

personally, i'd push for sometime between may 5 and july 17. unless someone can point out things being done specifically on only may 5, but i don't recall hearing of any.

Leash81
03-10-2005, 12:33 PM
the muggles out there who have no clue this is truly a special time would be going regardless.

Well we will be there July 7-12 and then my boyfriend and I ae going back for the 17. However we will be driving so we have the advantage of being able to drive so we will be leaving in the afternoon of the 16th so we will be able to take advantage of all the "special time" that is going on.
For you however I would reccomend May for all of the reasons mentioned in preceding posts as well as the fact that I would assume the park will hit capacity on the 17th and that would be very troublesome if you are going for anything other than the anniversary festivities, such as opening the time capsule, etc.

Disneyfreak
03-10-2005, 12:35 PM
July 17th all the way!!! You will have Space Mountain open that day.

mystycalchyk
03-10-2005, 12:35 PM
For you however I would reccomend May for all of the reasons mentioned in preceding posts as well as the fact that I would assume the park will hit capacity on the 17th and that would be very troublesome if you are going for anything other than the anniversary festivities, such as opening the time capsule, etc

Yeah Im leaning towards May. I was given two comp passes by a friend of mine, and in looking at them, they expire in June, so to use them May is the answer.

I just dont have the extra $329 to renew my AP right now, so we are thinking of making it a quick trip in May.

Didnt know they were opening the time capsule though. Seems a shame...let it cook for another 30 years I say...since it was only put there in the 80's.

disneyperson
03-10-2005, 12:49 PM
The 5th is the day the birthday celebration begins, the 17th is the Birthday. We'll be there on the 17th even if it's too crowded to ride anything.

mystycalchyk
03-10-2005, 12:55 PM
The 5th is the day the birthday celebration begins, the 17th is the Birthday. We'll be there on the 17th even if it's too crowded to ride anything.

Well I know that. That was our plan too, to be there for both days...but we cant afford it.

sheesh can you get that twisting knife out of my back :(

Mommy2NicknMax
03-10-2005, 01:52 PM
If I had to choose, I'd go in July. I *have* to go in May but July was my first choice. Since our family trip to DL is August I didn't think I could swing the money to go two months in a row.

D-lander 1956
03-10-2005, 03:05 PM
July 17th all the way!!! You will have Space Mountain open that day.

Just think about how long the line will be! :eek: :rolleyes:

Victoria - MAY MAY MAY! My vote is for MAY! :D

I can't wait to see all the goodies and freebie giveaways (read pins). I wish they'd go back to giving away cars! :p

MrsPooh
03-10-2005, 03:07 PM
If it were Mr. Pooh and I alone, I think I would go for July. We aren't going for either "date" but we think we will be there in late July.

We are anticipating large crowds, but we also know that we have been so many times that if we don't get to ride everything we don't care. Just enjoy going and being there.

I need to remind myself of that if we get record crowds like on Christmas Day. I can handle the crowds, and the larger crowds, but those like on Christmas Day are more than I can take! :eek:

I Heart Disneyland!
03-10-2005, 04:44 PM
I'm going in May for the kick-off, only because I couldn't take vacation time in July. I'd really love to be there for both! :) I think either day will be wonderful and VERY busy!!

kbanmen
03-10-2005, 04:46 PM
I will be there for May 5th (right after I get off shift at DCA)... I think it will be busy though.. I hear it will be a BIG MEDIA EVENT THAT DAY..but then July 17th may be as well