PDA

View Full Version : Citrus Bowl Halftime Show from DCA

disneyhead
01-01-2002, 10:42 AM
I'm sitting here in Denver, watching a game from Orlando, they cut to the halftime show which broadcasting from in front of Screamin'. Now there's a streatch. Of coarse it's on ABC. I'm not sure but doesn't Disney have a park a little closer to Orlando than Anahiem, Ca. or is this some cheap way of getting national airtime for a failing amusement park?

2CN
01-01-2002, 11:51 AM
It may be a way to get publicity, but I am glad they are finally doing things from the Disneyland resort. I'm sick of it always being Walt Disney World getting all the big perfomances and airtime- it is about time the Disneyland Resort got some more airtime during things like this.. maybe next year they will give the Disneyland Resort more airtime during the Christmas special from WDW and if they bring the Easter special back, during that as well... thats my little 'rant' for the day :D :cool:

AliKzam
01-01-2002, 01:25 PM
I, too, am glad that the west coast is finally being acknowledged. But-- um-- not that this is any big surprise, but did anyone notice how there was about ten people in the park? The scene from the desk opened up to Paradise Pier and California Screamin', and a rather large walkway. Hardly anyone was walking through there. They also show clips of the anchormen riding Grizzley and the coaster, and they were all by themselves. Not very good publicity, if you ask me. Subtle, but very psychological.
If Disney intends to air halftime reports there, again, I would advise setting up a line for an attraction or something in that area, so it looks like people actually go to that park (even if they don't, yet). It's just a good rule of staging.

coronamouseman
01-01-2002, 04:39 PM
Not surprising given the following:

(1) ABC paid dearly for the rights to all 4 of the BCS football games and since the Championship is at the Rose Bowl they set up shop at DLR

(2) Did you note also that Disney played up the fact that the Miami and Nebraska teams were visiting DCA and not DL during the week leading to the game?

(3) Eisner himself now appears in a commercial featuring the likes of Clint Eastwood, Jack Nicholson and other notable Californians as they promote tourism to the state. Eisner is riding BTM, Clint is playing golf at Pebble Beach, Jack is courtside at Staples Center.

Expect to see anything and everything tried in the next 6 months to stimulate tourism to California and to Disney ..............

coronamouseman
01-01-2002, 07:24 PM
It's almost a little sad in the way that the ABC sports crews are hyping DLR all throughout the BCS bowl games tonight - one play-by-play crew remarked how their cohorts at DLR might not be there when they return to them for reports because they will be sneaking off to ride the roller coasters .......

At every opportunity, they have shown the Electrical Parade, the Screamin' coaster, Sun Wheel, Carousel at DCA ........

Seems like a desperate ploy rather than a clever marketing device

wonderful
01-01-2002, 09:27 PM
Is there "synergy" happening? Yes. Is DCA in such a 'desperate state' that Disney will do "anything" to promote it? Not really.
First, the blatant "promotion" of the park through television shows that the corporation owns is a "desperate ploy" Walt himself created... "OH BOY! Let's get on the Peter Pan ride (that's not finished yet!)" is something folks heard back in '55...
Second, DCA's lack of a crowd on New Year's Day (not Eve) is not really different than DL's traditionally light crowds on New Year's Day.
Third, I'm not denying that the whole Rose Bowl thing is a VERY heavy handed promotion of DCA... but I also think that DCA has a beautiful backdrop to offer and that could also be a reason for using it (I know Animal Kingdom has been hurting, but you don't see too many filmings over there).
So what's my point? Maybe, just maybe, you could cut DCA some slack... it's been almost a year since opening and everything (including BLAST, the new Walt film, the planned new attractions and the additional entertainment) has been panned over and over again... Everyone cries MORE... we're getting it... and now it's all a "ploy"! Walt once said, "I don't build it for the critics" and boy was he right... they're never satisfied.

LIMANDL4EVA
01-01-2002, 09:56 PM
but did anyone notice how beautiful paradise bay look this morning on tv? with no one around and teh clouds and fog were blocking all the hotels and buildings behind it, you could BARELY making out the luminaria equipment being that they installed mirrors on the centerpiece, its just my opinion but paradise bay looked great on tv and i wouldnt be suprised if the location ofthe halftime show bought disney a few extra customers tommorw

coronamouseman
01-02-2002, 07:54 PM
wonderful: You're definitely right about Walt using TV to promote Disneyland - every couple of months on his show they would show something in the park and most certainly whenever a major attraction like the Matterhorn/Submarines/Monorail, or Pirates opened there was a big TV special.

But as a sports fan, I find the fusion of a sports network (which supposedly is dedicated to sports news reporting) with it's corporate entertainment holdings as something rude or unsettling - the whole meshing of conflicting approaches (news, entertainment, advertising, banter) gives one the impression that they are participating in an orchestrated video version of the Truman Show where reality is being manufactured for the viewer rather than being reported as it is.

At a point in time when unbiased or objective information is so hard to come by on most all fronts, one yearns for news and sports reporting which just trys to get the facts right rather than providing star figures which, for some reason, feel that disseminating their view of the world is more important (or entertaining) than simply reporting the facts as they happen.

On the one hand, it's good marketing for Disney to increase awareness of their parks and it's good for the local economy where I live - on the other hand, I think the meshing of too many corporate agendas in areas where such subjectivity supercedes reality is a sad statement about our megacorporations and the power they feel they can exert over one arm of their organization from another.

Summary: Let the news people report the news and let the hucksters shil their wares in their separate areas - don't bring the two together.

EandCDad
01-02-2002, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by coronamouseman

Summary: Let the news people report the news and let the hucksters shil their wares in their separate areas - don't bring the two together.

I couldn't agree more coronamouseman. Unfortunately this line has been blurred in far more egregious ways than the ESPN/Disney marriage. How many CBS local newscasts cover "Survivor" contestants and the show like it was real news. Ever notice how few NBC, ABC, and Fox news shows cover it. That is because they are hawking their own TV shows in the guise of a "news story."

Sports is basically entertainment so the merging of DCA and ESPN doesn't bother me all that much. Those two talking heads could be anywhere, if the backdrop looks nice, so be it.

USofA
01-03-2002, 12:49 PM
all i can add to this is, what gives? as E&CDad said, sports is entertainment. a sports show is not the news. sport's hosts are not newscasters. This is excellent marketing and synergy. get off the high horse and give the parks and WDC credit for a job well done. as for the park being fairly empty, remember that the point of advertising is to show the good things. last time i checked to Joe Midwest, lines are not a selling point. imagine the sales point, "hey come and stand in line all day" i doubt that would bring in customers. just a thought

AliKzam
01-03-2002, 05:07 PM
Not my point. My point was to make it look like people actually like going to that park. And actually go to that park. And ride the rides in that park. While realizing most people were at home sleeping off their hangovers that day, the least they could have done was put a little something in that big space of empty they had in the center of the screen. I only saw the Citrus Bowl, so maybe they did something later on. Maybe put some street entertainers there for the day or something. It wouldn't have distracted from the reporting, because those who were interested in what the reporters had to say would pay attention. Paradise Pier did look beautiful. But it still looked empty. All the specials Walt did to blatantly advertise Disneyland (and are now currently on DVD) had lots and lots of people in them. Even if some of them were actors. They could have done something to make the park appeal to people psychologically. It's that whole "everybody else is doing it" idea. That's my point.

socabch
01-04-2002, 09:16 AM
re: The scene from the desk opened up to Paradise Pier and California Screamin', and a rather large walkway. Hardly anyone was walking through there. They also show clips of the anchormen riding Grizzley and the coaster, and they were all by themselves.

I was at DCA that day, (to see Blast & DL was way to crowded for me). Actually there were alot of people there that day, the lines were 55 minutes or more for most of the rides. The reason not many people are in the scences is they kept closing walkways to film the clips. The producer wanted it that way (I was told). They were also filming Regis that day. I have been to the DCA 5 times and 01/02 was the most crowded I had seen. Nothing to to compare to DL though. I was also told that the Anchors were supposed to start earlier but the lighting didn't work.

AliKzam
01-04-2002, 10:47 AM
re: the producer wanted it that way, I was told.

The producer is stupid.

socabch
01-04-2002, 11:57 AM
AliKzam

I agree about the producer being stupid. It was ABC's call and it didn't do anything to promote DCA. I was watching the anchors for about 10 minutes and there was no one around to intice people to stop and cheer or participate. If you happened to walk by and see it then that's how you found out.