PDA

View Full Version : Nu? New Year's?

FriendOfDaisy
01-01-2002, 09:48 AM
So who actually ventured into DLR last night? What was it like?

I was (working) at Citywalk, and the place was even more packed than anyone expected it to be - more people than the last couple of years, and this year there was no real advertising push to bring people in.

Was DL similarly crowded? Did DCA relieve the congestion of DL? Did anyone actually go to DCA?

David

WizKidRyan
01-01-2002, 11:39 AM
DL was packed to the brim, DCA was actually very tollerable...I now sort of wish I had stayed at DCA as it was like one huge party in comparison to DL. Awesome music playing throughout the park and they had the stage lights going around the parade corridor to make it one big dance floor.
IMO DCA should do that every night. It certainly would draw more people.

All in all it was extremely fun, and I'm glad I did it :)

cemeinke
01-01-2002, 01:11 PM
Plenty of sleep and several cups of coffee later--Not Afraid and myself met up with FEJ and Mad Madam Mim to enjoy the New Years celebration at DL. The park was crowded as expected, but when we arrived (around 2PM) the parking lot CMs told us light so far but the expected many more. Similarly the CM at the Info both told us if we wanted to see both Parks that we get into DL before 6PM, because they would probably close the gates afterwards. (MMM joined us a 7:30, so obviously that wasn't the case).

We wandered DCA first to see what they had in store. Balloon drop in Condor Flats, Bowl media at Paradise Bay, and dancing throughout. The we went to Disneyland proper.

There was a stage set up for the Rivers of America, but we ultimately opted to turn the year at the hub. We sat out the Believe fireworks at Carnation Plaza enjoying the Swing Band, Pete Jacobs & his Wartime Radio Revue. We got food from Rancho Zoccallo, which was probably the biggest wait of the evening, a long line to get in, then once in a 20 minute wait to get served the Prime rib.

There were several areas to pick up hats and horns, but the lines were long and there was nothing special about either to make any of us want to wait for them.

After the Holiday Magic fireworks I accompanied Not Afraid to feed her swans and we quickly realized that if we wanted to see the New Years Fireworks from the Hub it was time to take our places. The hub was filling up and Main Street was already impassible. So the four of us formed a conga line to squeeze our way into the Hub (Probably about 10:30). We found a place, sat down and awaited the countdown.

A little after 11:00 someone(s) unleased some beach balls on the crowd. The Hub was now impassible, and the crowd had a blast bouncing the beach balls from one side of the hub to the other. Next cam larger beach balls (3 foot diameter?) followed by a distraught CM begging the crowd to hold the beach balls, or security would come and pop. I felt sorry for the CM as she was then booed and then pelted with beach balls. I understand why Disney wouldn't want the beach balls, but I gotta say it was fun while it lasted (yeah I know, it's all fun and games until someone looses an eye) Eventually the crowd stopped and awaited the new year. In the meantime we played a live version of the word association game, made more difficult by the endless loud loop of Living La Vida Mickey.

Midnight itself was a blast. A couple performers as well as Minnie, Goofy, Donald , and of course Mickey appeared on the Castle to bring in the new year. The fireworks show started with a few low level pyrotechnic from the castle. They were spectacular, but unfortunately filled the area with a lot of smoke which obscured the fireworks to follow. The high-light of the experience though, was a "comet" firework, that rose from the castle to the Matterhorn, igniting fireworks on the mountain itself, and illuminating a large 2002 sign (topped with Mickey of course) that had risen from the Matterhorn. To me, that alone was worth the trip.

Getting out was interesting. We opted to ride the Jungle Cruise first before leaving, but it took quite a bit of time to get there as crowds were packed with people leaving from the Rivers of America show, as well as those trying to get to the restrooms outside of Adventureland.

When we left at 1:10 there was still an 80 minute wait for Indy, so as crowded as it was, it seems alot stuck it out to the 3AM closing. We had to walk to the garage, as the trams were shut down between midnight and 1:45. I guess Disney new they could never accommodate the crowds leaving both parks at that time. Getting out of the structure was a breeze, so Disney's crowd control worked this time.

All in all I had a great time, of course I didn't really expect to go an any rides; I expected long waits for food, drink, and bathrooms. The crowds were fun, knowing they'd be there and as a Disney fan I don't know of a better way to celebrate the New Year.

bluepearl
01-01-2002, 01:30 PM
Although I had to be home by 12AM, I had a great time at DCA yesterday. I got there around 4:30, and the park wasn't too packed at all. I'm one of the few people who really like DCA, and I absolutely LOVED all the music going on at the park last night! It was incredible. I vowed to myself that I'm definitely going to spend the entire night at DCA next New Years Eve. DL looked packed, so I wasn't even going to try to get in there - let alone get on any rides. And the Fab Four were at DCA - definitely two thumbs up!

2CN
01-01-2002, 02:05 PM
How were the crowds and wait times for rides at DCA last night? I was at DL and from the way it sounds at DCA, I might go their next year as well- I just would hate to miss the fireworks over the castle... though a balloon drop might be fun an all.

And I didn't realize people were actually tossing the balls at that CM who came to stop them- I first when she came wanted to boo her.. but then hearing her reason, had to agree and got everyone in my party to grab any ball that came by and start letting the air out.. then the guy who released them came by and took them and tossed them back out :rolleyes: too bad people don't listen to them when they say stop... I too feel sorry for that CM now even more.

bluepearl
01-01-2002, 09:30 PM
I don't think that the lines for the rides were bad at all. At around 6-8PM, the line for California Screamin didn't seem to go much more than 20 minutes (40 at the most I saw). Soarin' was at 45 minutes or so (but you know that one's always longer than the sign says!). Anyhoo...in general, I found the lines to be more agreeable last night than it was during the weekends of Christmas and Thanksgiving!

disneynut
01-02-2002, 08:00 PM
How late were the parks open on New Years Eve? Did they ever have to shut down the DL entrance due to the number of people?

2CN
01-02-2002, 08:13 PM
Disneyland was open till 3 am, DCA till 1 am.

cemeinke
01-02-2002, 08:15 PM
I don't know if they ever shut down the enterance--they were open at 7:30 PM, but a cast member warned us that it was possible and could prevent us from hopping back to Disneyland.

Otherwise DCA closed at 1:00 AM, Disneyland proper closed at 3:00 AM